measuring cereal

Options
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but how do you measure cereal. Do you measure 1 cup in a measuring cup or use a food scale, In the case of the food scale, how many ounces is it?

I think the rule is a measuring cup for liquid and food scale for all others. Am I correct?

Thanks everyone,
Pat

Replies

• H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just use an actual measuring cup.
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    To be on the safe side you should probably measure cereal with a scale but honestly I use a measuring cup most of the time just by habit. On your box of cereal it should say how many grams a serving size is and you can go by that (my scale will weigh in ounces and grams) but if your scale only measures ounces you could probably google "ounces to gram conversion calculator"
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I use a measuring cup. I have a food scale but the grams on it start at like 500 so there's no way I could measure cereal on it.
  • lordofultima
    Options
    Food scale for sure. My scale has told me a lot about how approximate the measuring cup value really is, especially regarding cereal.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    scales. 30g is about an average serving. Not very much!! :laugh: (I think that's just over an oz?)

I think this was probably the portion I was most surprised at when I started weighing things :noway:

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    my cereal only shows the serving size in cups so i measure in cups. of course i pretty much only eat oatmeal. have i been doing this wrong all this time?!?
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    my cereal only shows the serving size in cups so i measure in cups. of course i pretty much only eat oatmeal. have i been doing this wrong all this time?!?

Mine too: serving = 1 cup, and there's a gram measurement as well, but since I don't have a food scale I just go with cups.

The way I learned, there's two types of measuring cups--ones for solid/dry ingredients (which are the scooping-type ones... sorry, can't think of a better description) and ones for liquids (which look more like pitchers than scoops). Spoons are for both dry and wet, since they're small volumes. Not sure if this clears anything up for anyone...
  • txtree50
    Options
    I use a cup also.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I always use a regular measuring cup
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I look at the weight of a serving of cereal on the box and measure it out in grams on my food scale, the serving varies by cereal.
  • I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but how do you measure cereal. Do you measure 1 cup in a measuring cup or use a food scale, In the case of the food scale, how many ounces is it?

I think the rule is a measuring cup for liquid and food scale for all others. Am I correct?

Thanks everyone,
    Pat

I always use a measuring cup because that's what the nutritional information on the boxes use.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Mine too: serving = 1 cup, and there's a gram measurement as well, but since I don't have a food scale I just go with cups.

The way I learned, there's two types of measuring cups--ones for solid/dry ingredients (which are the scooping-type ones... sorry, can't think of a better description) and ones for liquids (which look more like pitchers than scoops). Spoons are for both dry and wet, since they're small volumes. Not sure if this clears anything up for anyone...

thats how i learned it in home-ec back in highschool
  • cagirl
    cagirl Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think the most accurate is probably the "scooping" measuring cup. Seems like a smaller amount than the pourable measuring cup and probably most accurate.

I appreciate your help on this!:flowerforyou:
  • SKismet
    SKismet Posts: 137
    Options
    (I'm going to start off by saying I realize this is an old topic, but considering my experience this morning, I thought it might be beneficial to bring it back up.)

This morning when I went to have breakfast, I learned a rather important lesson: When measuring dry cereal, at least the flaky type for sure, it is a VERY good idea to use a scale! (And even better to use one with metric measurements as they are more precise.) First, I measured my cereal out into a dry measuring cup. (aka, the "scooping" type) Then, I placed my bowl on the scale, pushed the "tare" button to zero it back out, and dumped the cereal into the bowl. Based on weight, that "cup" of cereal was closer to 2 servings!

To be honest, that still was a good bit less than I usually eat, so I ended up just adding a little bit to make it the 2 servings and logged it as such....
  • cagirl
    cagirl Posts: 23
    Options
    You are absolutely right about it being close to 2 servings. I found a box that said "1.9 oz" was a serving, so I measured that on my food scale. What a difference.
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    We don't 'do' cups in the UK. The serving size on the box is in grams, and I have a decent scale I put my breakfast bowl on before pouring the cereal. Simple :-)
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    A serving does not have to be the 30 or 40 grams recommended on most UK packets, work out how many calories you want to use for breakfast and then measure your cereal to meet the calories...allowing of course for any additions you are going to make. I have 27gms of old fashioned oats mixed with 30gms of oatbran made with 100mls of soya milk & further made up with water...no sugar or salt & with my cup of tea with skimmed milk thats 255 cals. 30 grams of something like special K would be the same volume as my porridge because its lighter....
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale to measure almost everything. (Exceptions: teaspoons, tablespoons, some liquids). Measuring cups leave too much room for error. Some people may "level" the cup, while others may use "heaping" cups. My food scale can measure in ounces or grams. I usually use the grams because it's a smaller unit of measure and therefore more accurate.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Scale for sure. I can place a bowl or cup and zero it out to make for easier measuring. I even eat my cereal dry with glass of water. This way I get more cereal. Helps make it last longer