To go the gym or not

Options
So I haven't been to the gym in years and even then it was very rare. I'm thinking about going on Wednesday but feel nervous and abit scared even though I know I'm being silly. Any motivational words? Lol

Replies

• Manarelle
    Manarelle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't let other people psych you out- if you want to go, then go!

Realize, however, that there are all kinds of exercises you can do at home or outside; if you don't want to go to a gym, find alternatives!

Either way, congrats on having the gumption to do it, that's what counts. :)
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Dont let what some stranger *might* think about you get in the way of your goals. Easy as that.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You've lost 80 pounds! You're great! Go if you want to.
  • coloredswirls
    Options
    If you decide to go, I highly recommend easing into it and going with what makes sense to you. Pick an easy enough routine that you can stick by, then see what to add.
  • coloredswirls
    Options
    You've lost 80 pounds! You're great! Go if you want to.

Agree w/this, too.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Go. Ask for a tour. Gyms employ friendly people to show you the ropes. :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    you don't need a gym. everything you need you already have :-) just get to work doing whatever you enjoy doing..no gym needed!
  • KARIEM_S
    KARIEM_S Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    if you had a long spell of non-gym days, you might considering starting simple exercise first at home itself and after couple of week can plunge into the gym!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    So I haven't been to the gym in years and even then it was very rare. I'm thinking about going on Wednesday but feel nervous and abit scared even though I know I'm being silly. Any motivational words? Lol

Find what you enjoy doing...be it going to the gym, walking, hiking, swimming, biking, working out to DVDs at home..whatever .... just find what you like and just do it!

I find I don't have to go to the gym I WANT to go to the gym. My gym is not a box store gym, but a small, privately owned gym and I get to work with a great group of people and a personal trainer. We have fun and we work hard. We encourage and motivate one another.

There is nothing to be afraid of @ the gym. Oh, and if you go one day a week ... you'll need to supplement that with some other form of working out because one day a week is not enough.

Just my two cents.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Most of the people in the gym will be too busy doing there thing to even notice you. The only woman at my gym that I notice are the ones who show up with the desire to be noticed: hot pink, skin tight workout cloths with makeup and hair styled. Even then, you notice them and then move on.

I've bumped my head on barbells, tripped over benches and done other stupid things - and when I look around to see who saw what I just did I discover that nobody noticed.

Hope that helps! :smile:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    First, realize that you are insignificant. What I mean is, most people are too busy doing their own thing to be bothered enough to pay attention to you and what you're doing.

Second, gyms usually offer a free training session with a person trainer or at least a tour. Go on it, get comfortable using the equipment and knowing where things are. Then you can strut on in because you know what you're doing.

Third, remember why you're there! Have fun, treat yourself to some new music and get rockin' to that new body :)
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Dont let what some stranger *might* think about you get in the way of your goals. Easy as that.

This
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My fitness has improved over the last year and a half purely by walking, exercise DVDs, biking and swimming. Now I'm thinking its time to take it up a notch.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thinking about going to the gym is way scarier than actually going to the gym, if that makes sense. And every time you go, it'll become that much less intimidating. :)
  • mandysarg
    Options
    Yes yes yes! You've lost 80 lbs so far, its now time to tone up,. . Take it from someone whose being doing it for years.. but I'd recommend kettlebells! its cadio and strength training combined.. you can either join a kettlebell class or go and purchase a kettlebell there's plenty of kettlebell and exercises on you tube.. download the full workouts of over 30 mins or more... good luck and embraced the feeling after a great work out.which ever one you chose :-)