DB Rows v. Lat Pulldowns... FIGHT!

Options
Lol... if you could only choose one, which would it be?

Bent-Over DB Rows, or the Lat Pulldown?

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I suggest pull ups and chin ups is better than both and free weights superior to any machine

Starting Strength to me is the best strength training program. For assistance exercises it recommends pull ups and chin ups as better than both.

Most body building routines recommend both rows and pull downs as they hit the muscles differently.

While cutting, I am doing the A and B programs with rowing instead of cleans
    A - Squat, flat bench, dead lift, assistance work if time(curls, pull ups, chin ups)
    B - Squat, overhead press, bent over rows, ,assistance work if time
    So Monday is A, Thursday is B, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday is cardio
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the Rows (though would prefer Barbell rows or pull-ups)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I do barbell rows and almost-pullups/chinups. But not making claims at the superiority of that over anything else - it's just where I happened to end up.
  • bigalfantasy2004
    bigalfantasy2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Rows
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Barbell rows are great, but I can't do them horizontally without hitching or eventually getting more upright. Bent over DB rows are very consistent and solid. My lower back gets hit enough with all the squat and deadlifts lol

So... nobody for the Lat pulldown huh?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on whether or not I am currently having lower back issues, for whatever reason. I love rows, but when my lower back is compromised (like last year after being in a car wreck) lat pulldowns did the trick until I was healed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    rows...

i'm not much into lat pulls...i prefer pullups (even though I have to do them assisted currently)
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    They work different parts of the back?

Lat pull downs for for your lats while rows are for the lower trapezius?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Well if I absolutely had to pick one, it would be the DB rows.

Although in my routine I prefer to do chin-ups and Pendlay rows, and sometimes pull-ups as well.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Don't they work different muscles? Or am I just doing it wrong?

lat pull downs... they target my lats which is important to me as a triathlete/swimmer.

• FrnkLft
    Options
    Well yes, lat pulldowns directly target the Lats, while rows target the lower back, and the lats are synergistic in the movement.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well then I pick Lat pulldowns, because chicks love the wings.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    lat pulldowns

wide back gets hoes in the sack
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Neither. If I could choose only ONE upper back exercise it would be pull-ups.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well yes, lat pulldowns directly target the Lats, while rows target the lower back, and the lats are synergistic in the movement.

What. The way I do rows the lower back is just used to support your body, like your abs during deadlifts. I pull back at the shoulderblade. I find it targets the lats way more than the lower back, though the main area would be more of the middle of the back, lat pull downs do target the lats more directly yes.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If I could only choose one, rows all day ery day. For those who think its only for one muscle, with a simple change in your arm angle you can target rear delts and upper back, traps and rhomboids and/or lats.
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Rows
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    lat pulldowns

wide back gets hoes in the sack

amen brah