Working over full time and losing weight

Options
along21291
along21291 Posts: 45 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I've logged in so I thought I'd post in getting started. I finally felt like I was getting it right at the end of college. I lost all the weight I needed to and maintained for almost a year. Now that I've started to work full time I've started to put back on the weight (I've already gained almost 20 pounds in 4 months). I'm looking for tips from those working 50-60 hours a week and still losing weight/maintaining. When I lost weight last time I definitely made a lifestyle change. Now that my life has changed in a huge way, it's time to rethink what has worked for me in the past.

Thanks!

Replies

• jessjoye
    jessjoye Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have two kids who are in multiple sports and activities. Some days I leave the house at 6 AM and get home at 9 PM. The only thing that seems to work for me was when I bought a fitbit (trying to get extra steps throughout the day), squeezing in a 30-40 minute workout during lunch and eating lunch at my computer while working, and making time to exercise on the weekend. If it is important you will find a way and I am sure you can do it! Good luck :)
  • samammay
    Options
    Ive got 3 kids, 2 jobs, and a wife with a broken neck... and still find time to eat better and exercise several times a week. Its all about time management and making your health a priority.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My 22 yr old married daughter works 6 days/week, 66 hrs/week (1 full time & 1 part time job), which doesn't include 14 hrs/week of driving to get to & from those jobs. Not only that, but her jobs are very physical...she works w/horses. She works out at night after she gets home from work, because she has to leave her house about 6am. But I know it's more challenging w/kids. Maybe get in exercise while they're doing their sports/activities? Lunch time is good to get some in too. For me, if I don't do it first thing in the morning, & when I worked I got up REALLY early to do it, then I rarely do it later in the day.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I think working a lot makes it easier to lose weight b/c you don't spend as much time in social situations. But I guess it depends on your personality - I'm a social/opportunity eater, not a stress eater.

Here are some things that help me:
    (1) Don't eat the free stuff at work - catered lunches, birthday parties, meeting leftovers. You can adapt this rule to make it work for you, like, no more than once per week, etc.
    (2) Plan meals on weekends and cook ahead so you have NICE food to bring from home, not random stuff that makes you want to overeat, eat again later, or go out for lunch/dinner. PLAN SNACKS as well, not just meals.
    (3) I always keep nuts in my desk drawer - they last a long time and it's easy for me to count out 30 pistachios for a quick, satisfying snack when I need one.
    (4) Remember that your coworkers don't care what you do and don't eat. It FEELS like they do, and they might even comment on you skipping the cake, but really they don't care.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I make it a rule to pack my lunch at least 4 days a week and always keep some healthy snacks in the office (break room so I have to get up and get them). Make sure on the weekend you stock your home fridge up with healthy food and possibly do some cooking or prep in advance so you've got good meal options for dinner which will stop the temptation to get take away.

In terms of exercising it's all about prioritising. Schedule your workouts the way you would a meeting and then just follow through. Things like making sure your gym is convenitent and planning to meet someone for a workout can help with not skipping them. Figure out what you can cut out of your life to save time.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    In the kitchen do extra prep work a couple times a week and use the non prep days to get in a workout. Avoid convenience foods, portion out your meals so they're ready to grab and run so your portions aren't 3 times the size they should be. I find the key on my longest days is to just be prepared, whenever free time happens use it for a quick walk, run a flight of stairs, stand up and to lunges or squats factory desk during a phone call. If you get in 6 little 5-10 minute mini-workouts a day that's 30-40 minutes at the end of the day. I hope this helps.
  • KMMRN
    KMMRN Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It's tough, isn't it? Sometimes I pretend that I am a weight loss counsellor advising a client (who has the same issues as me). Artificially distancing myself from the situation helps me come up with creative solutions.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Walk half of your lunch break. 15 minutes if it's a half hour, 30 minutes if it's an hour. Depending on your bodyweight, you can burn an additional thousand calories a week.
  • DigitalDiana
    DigitalDiana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    THIS!!! especially the "don't eat stuff at work!!!
    I think working a lot makes it easier to lose weight b/c you don't spend as much time in social situations. But I guess it depends on your personality - I'm a social/opportunity eater, not a stress eater.

Here are some things that help me:
    (1) Don't eat the free stuff at work - catered lunches, birthday parties, meeting leftovers. You can adapt this rule to make it work for you, like, no more than once per week, etc.
    (2) Plan meals on weekends and cook ahead so you have NICE food to bring from home, not random stuff that makes you want to overeat, eat again later, or go out for lunch/dinner. PLAN SNACKS as well, not just meals.
    (3) I always keep nuts in my desk drawer - they last a long time and it's easy for me to count out 30 pistachios for a quick, satisfying snack when I need one.
    (4) Remember that your coworkers don't care what you do and don't eat. It FEELS like they do, and they might even comment on you skipping the cake, but really they don't care.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Desk job? You obviously aren't burning as many calories as you were. Either find ways to move more, or eat less.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to schedule in your exercise time and treat it as a priority. Period. Eat at your desk and take your lunch break in the gym, for example. It also helps if you can find someone else similarly situated that will work out with you. I ran with a client of mine for several years, and it wasn't at all unusual for us to be out for a run at 1:00 a.m. That extra hour out of the day getting rid of job stress and doing something good for you will make all the difference in the world. You also need to make sure that your exercise is efficient. Lift weights first. If you have additional time, then do cardio.

Also, prepare your lunches (and light dinners if necessary) for the weekdays on the weekends, by weighing out the portions and putting them in individual containers. That way you know exactly how many calories you are eating. Then freeze them and take them out in the mornings to bring with you.

I also personally prefer to work and read while standing up. This certainly isn't critical. but it helps with lower back pain from sitting for long hours. Stand up desks are awesome.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If you get lunch and 2 fifteen minute breaks, try to combine your breaks so you can get a 1/2 hour walk in. Don't take you full lunch hour, once you've finished your meal get up and walk or roller blade/bike/whatever for the rest of the time.
  • jamesmomma32
    jamesmomma32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get an hour for lunch everyday and I will eat my lunch at my desk and then I walk on my lunch break. You also have to make sure that the snacks and food that you are packing are healthy. It is easy to over eat when you have a desk job. Also make sure that every hour or so that you get up and do one lap around the office. If your office has stairs use those instead of an elevator.
  • jamesinjapan
    Options
    I used to have a rather active job (teaching kids of all ages), but when I started my new job, my weight ballooned, so I started trying to be a little bit more careful about what I ate at work.

My advice:

1. Don't snack, but if you do, eat fruit.
    2. Try to add more exercise around your work day - either by walking/cycling to work, taking the stairs, exercising in the morning or night time.
    3. If you can fit in your lunch quickly, use the remainder of your break to go for a walk.
    4. Try your damned hardest to keep those work-lunch calories down (or dinner, depending on your eating patterns).

Now that I've got serious about my health, I walk 25 minutes to the second-nearest train station on the way to/from work, hit the gym twice a week, and run at least twice a week more.

You can still have a sedentary worklife and lose weight, but unfortunately it is a trade off for your time. Find something active and fun that you can do at work and you'll be fine.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm working 50 hours right now AND I have 3 kids. I got up at 6am, lifted quick in my basement and kept my calories under my goal.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Let's just say that you work 12 hrs a day M-F. That leaves 2 whole days that you have to work out. Do you watch TV or have any spare time? Use that time to work out.
  • MDGirlLovesFood
    MDGirlLovesFood Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I work an average of 50- 55 hours per week. I COMPLETELY understand. I lost 30 lb last year working this horrible schedule. I add 15 minutes onto my mornings, M-F, (no more, I love my sleep) and either ride a stationary bike while watching the news ir I pop in a high energy Zumba DVD. Each evening, I take another 20-30 minutes to walk, garden, or do somr sort of exercise. On Saturday, I put in an hour of exercise. Sunday is my day of rest. I lost last year eith this schedule snd I ca do it again. I have a job where I sit 10-12 hours a day. My lunches are only half an hour. I don't have time to fit in long workouts. Any extra steps you can do per day is a plus. 10,000 steps per day to health.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Surely you can make 30 - 45 minutes a few days per week a priority...make up the difference on the weekend and get a good 5 days in. I often use my lunch break to get in some exercise. If not, I get up really early. I hit the gym a couple nights per week which means I just get home late and what not. It's all about priorities.

1) just make the time...you make time to do other things...make time to do your fitness

2) brown bag it most of the time

3) avoid the break room and all of the free junk food

4) use half your lunch break just to move a bit

5) avoid going out to eat with co-workers save for occasions. I only eat out with my co-workers maybe once per week or two...they've adjusted.
  • along21291
    along21291 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! All your stories are very inspiring and you all are MUCH better at time management than me. I know I have to make it a priority, it's definitely just an adjustment. I'm starting today by walking before work and packing a lunch!
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    exercise at work....
    15 minute break= 15 minutes of Running sprints up & down the stairs....
    30 min lunch= walk/jog/wog 2 miles
    bring 20 pound hand weights in.... do arm curls between phone calls/customers/when you can
This discussion has been closed.