Effects of Working Out Every Single Day?????

Options
I am just wondering if any of you workout every single day? If so what are you guys doing? Is it not important to give your body rest days? or is that just a myth?

I am currently doing C25K (Monday Wednesday Friday mornings) and the JM 30DS on the same days but in the afternoon. I am dead set at leaving my current workout routine the same but I am wondering what I can be doing on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Can I do the 30DS workouts then also? Or should I do something different?

What would the effects be if I were to workout 5 days a week? or 7 days a week? and I mean muscle mass effects not weight loss effects.

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    There isn't going to be much, if any muscle mass effects with those programs. Listen to your body. Those aren't too strenuous of workouts so you should be able to do those daily. How long have you been doing the exercises? My concern would be burning yourself out or the excess running if you just started.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, I go 7 days a week,
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I don't know exactly how much rest you should have, but the answer is SOME.

I wouldn't work out every single day, especially if your question is within the context of muscle mass. Your muscles need time to recover. There is such a thing called "overtraining," and it's counterproductive. It would be a good thing to give your muscles a few days off from lifting heavy crap a week.
  • nita405
    Options
    For the last 6 weeks I have been regular in the gym 5 days a week (M-F) some weekends I do Zumba or go walk on the riverfront. I need this to be my daily regimen so I stay on course, I try to spend 2-3 hours a day working out. I now look forward to working out.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    No problem with 7 days/week with what you are doing. I workout 6 or 7 days per week, but the times I take a day off it's simply do to laziness. I'm also doing the C25K program simply to build up my legs ... I tend to get ham and calf issues when I run and am trying to get past that. My typical schedule is:

Sunday: Elliptical for 30 minutes (some weeks I skip).
    Monday: Weight Training (chest) and Intervals on the Elliptical
    Tuesday: Weight Training (back) and running
    Wednesday: Weight Training (legs) and Spinning class
    Thursday: Weight Training (shoulders) and running
    Friday: Weight Training (arms) and Intervals on the Elliptical
    Saturday: Running
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with working out everyday. u may just have to vary the intensity.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week, usually 4 days in a row, then rest a day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It depends on the intensity of your workouts. going balls to the wall 7 days per week is a recipe for injury...then you get to sit your *kitten* on the sideline until you heal...could be months. Not only is it a recipe for injury, but it's completely unnecessary and really not a sustainable fitness regimen for most people.

If you're following a proper lifting program, you absolutely need to have rest days to let those muscles heal and recover, thus getting the actual benefit of your lift...this can be done by either splitting body parts are just lifting every other day 3-4 days per week.

Also, "rest" day doesn't mean you just sit on your *kitten* and do nothing. On my "rest" days I just take it easy in RE to nothing too vigorous or intense...but I'll still go swim 1/2 mile or take a recreational bike ride or something.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    6 days a week for me: 3 cardio, 3 weights.

I take Sundays off.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    My goal is to work out every single day ... but I change up my activities on a regular basis. For instance this week's schedule -

Monday - Yoga followed by 30 minutes HIIT cardio
    Tuesday - kick boxing
    Wednesday - Weight training followed up by a brisk mile on the treadmill or elliptical
    Thursday - Spin class
    Friday - Weight training followed up by a brisk mile on the treadmill or elliptical
    Saturday - 5 mile run
    Sunday - Family weight training day with my two high school athletes (cool to have mom keep up with them!!)

By scheduling exercise every day, if something comes up for the kids' school or work or whatever, I just pick back up where I left off. If I am starting to feel run down then I take a day off. We work out pretty hard each day but I am 50 years old so I also listen to my body ... With my old workouts, I could exercise every day - not so intense as now.

I am committed to exercise, but it also does not run my life ... As a result of my increased schedule (and increased intensity), I have lost 18 lbs in the last 11 weeks so it must be working!!
  • jazzii98
    Options
    If you feel like every muscle in your body is dying, rest. If you feel like you can exercise, do it. There's no right or wrong answer, just do what your body is telling you.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I do SOMETHING 7 days a week. On my 'rest days' I just take my dog for an hour walk, still a good burn according to my HRM because we go through the river valley which is all hills and uneven trails, but it's more for him than me.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I do cardio every day and lift every other day. Some weeks I'll take a day off, if I feel like it.
  • mournemaid
    mournemaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too. Specifically the 30DS. I am starting this tomorrow and am confused as to whether or not I do it every day without a rest or on alternate days
  • Hiccup62301
    Hiccup62301 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym four days a week (Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday) and lift weights and then do anywhere from 20 - 40 minutes on the elipticle machine. Then on Saturday I run 2-5 miles (it just depends on how I'm feeling). I think the key is to listen to your body and don't push yourself if you feel exhausted or injured.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I TRY to do 7 days a week, but often it ends up to be 6. I find that if I do yoga regularly it makes it easier to recover faster.

14877786.png
  • jamesinjapan
    Options
    If you feel like you can exercise those extra days, then try it. Generally I found that when starting out running (similar kind of Couch to 5K programme), I couldn't get out every day or I'd end up with shin splints, but now I am physically stronger, I am much more able to get out on those off days.

I wouldn't schedule anything in, but just play it by ear and do whatever you feel is sensible... Listen to your body and you will be fine.