Pain Relievers..

Options
So not sure this is in the right spot but im just going to go for it here.
First let me say im talking about over the counter stuff, like Advil. and two i dont use these things, or abuse pain relievers. with that being said i have just always wondered this things and no one seems to be able to answer my question.

okay so my question being about the daily limit on pain killers, or basically any over the counter med. most bottles that ive read say to not exceed 8 pills which i understand.
but my question is that if you have one pill that is 50 mg aspirin and another that is 250 mg and BOTH bottles say to not exceed 8 pills in 24 hours, what is the limit really for?
i used to think it was because of the dose but that doesnt make sense because if you take eight 50 mg pills you would have taken 400 mg of aspirin that day, but if you take eight 250 mg pills you would have taken 2000 mg! which is a huge difference.

So im just wondering what is the limit really for, what are they trying to limit, is it just that too many pills is hard on your organs or is it something else.
just wondering because ive been curious for a long time about this its never really made much sense to me, it seems like they would have a limit on mg amount instead of pills sense pills mg doses very from every pill and what not.
thanks for any light you can shed on this.. :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Aspirin causes Gastrointestinal problems, most notably ulcers.

You can Google Upper Limits, or ask your doctor, or read the enclosed drug circular for maximum dosage.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Aspirin causes Gastrointestinal problems, most notably ulcers.

You can Google Upper Limits, or ask your doctor, or read the enclosed drug circular for maximum dosage.
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My doctor did give me a limit on mg. For Tylenol and Ibuprofen. I am not sure about Aspirin. But your right, mg is more important than a number of pills!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    just follow the directions.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    im NOT asking because i want to know how many I should take, Im just wondering why they limit pills and not mg dose.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Probably because mg would be harder for people to count. Just counting pills is easier.
  • onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    They limit number of pills because most people are too dumb to be able to add up 250 mg + 250 mg + 250 mg. In many cases it's easier and safer to just say a number of pills.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    im NOT asking because i want to know how many I should take, Im just wondering why they limit pills and not mg dose.

The drug companies have to prepare instructions and warnings knowing damn well that the first idiot who doesn't follow those instructions will sue over it. As a result, they make the instructions very simple (by pill not mg dosage), and are conservative with maximum dosages. There are also these nifty paper inserts in most of those bottles that discuss, in reasonable detail, the various potential side effects and more detailed warnings. But then again, MFP is an excellent source for medical and drug advice . . .