A new start on the journey away from"plus size"

Options
I'm new to this site. My name is Monique. I have over 130 lbs to lose. I'm looking forward to it, but again, I'm not, because I know how hard it will be. I live with a family of overeaters. And recently, I've been unemployed, so that added to my already stressful life. When I get stressed out, I eat. It's always been like that for me. I eat when I'm hungry, happy, sad, BORED! I eat when I'm BORED! That feels like an awful thing to admit. And I am a photographer, so every once in a while, I get to photograph some beautiful girl, with the body I wish I had, and it depresses me. I am so sick of being sad, and I want to change this. But every time I think of how much weight I have to lose, I just feel like I can't accomplish it. I can read tips and tricks, and sites for days, but putting it to action, is another thing entirely. I am going to give it a shot though, and hope for the best.

Replies

• cjemtegaard
    Options
    Hey Monique, it's very nice to meet you! WELCOME TO MFP! I also have a big goal of losing 95 lbs. I want to give up a lot too...but I have been really trying this time to focus on smaller goals. Since joining this site and keeping the diary and being true to myself, I have lost almost 5 lbs (only been on almost 2 weeks). People on here are very encouraging, and this site helps keep you accountable if you use it. I wish you all the best, I know you can do it. Try to set-up small goals. I keep telling myself my motto one bite less, one better choice, one more glass of water, one more walk...and the more I do, surprisingly the more I want to do.
  • ypena78
    ypena78 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up girl. I was in the same boat until I made that change. Once you start eating better and start losing that weight you will gain the self confidence and have a better self esteem about yourself. and sometimes family can bring you down but even during the hard times, just know that we are here for you. I am in the progress of losing 110 lbs and I am down by 28 so far. and let me tell you it has made a big difference in my life. Smile life's tooo short!!!!! Good luck on your journey, I know you can do it:flowerforyou:1709022.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • modknits
    Options
    Monique - I've tried this a number of times and am just getting back on the wagon today. So I'm right there with you! Tracking food and exercise really does work so I wish you all the best! I need to lose 50-60 pounds and get my blood sugar under control. My hope if to get of diabetes meds. Take it one week at a time. You're going to feel like a whole new person in a few weeks!
  • modknits
    Options
    I love your motto: one bite less, one better choice, one more glass of water, and one more walk!
  • lindaloumiller
    Options
    hey, I know how you feel. About three years ago I weighed 270 lbs. I am over 50 years old and have been overweight
    most of my life. But never say never or that it is too late! I tried many things over the years and read everything I could get my
    hands on. But nothing seemed to work. then, after prayer and deciding to try again... i got off the couch and started moving.
    I lost down to 160 lbs and got stuck. because I am also a stress eater, I gained back up to 195 and am now working my way back
    down. Don't give up. Don't think you can't do it... you can. just don't give up!
  • deathbycanon
    Options
    Hi Monique, I'm a photog also! I don't need to loose weight but have been self employed since 2004. I can so relate to needing to put things into action. My house was a mess, my business was a mess. I would go on line and read all about how to clean, keep things done and organized, but would never actually do it.

Just last weekend on one of my sitting on my duff reading things online, I came across an article about a book called "getting things done" One of the things the article said was" list what needs to be done, do the next step. " Flylady always says "take baby steps" It just clicked with me. Don't look at the big picture, don't look at what's not done, just look at only the next step. Today my house is mostly clean by just doing a lot of little steps at a time.

I don't know what your goals are, but we set up my husband to loose one pound a week. I don't want you to look at it as "I need to loose 180 pounds." I want you to say "I need to loose 1 pound this week." (or whatever your goal is) Saying 1 pound seems so easy. In a week gives you a dead line. That way you don't have a seemingly gigantic goal with no end in sight.

Baby steps, what's the next thing you have to do to loose just one pound this week. I had my husband start by tracking his calories today. It's just the next step in a long process but every step, no matter how little, moves you forward.

Joining today, posting here, you already did your first baby step, Congrats! Your on the way!
  • cjemtegaard
    Options
    thank you modknits :tongue:
  • LuckySe7en
    Options
    Wow. Thanks everyone for all the support. It is a challenge. I like the motto too, Its awesome. I will definitely be using that. I am going to try to make small goals for myself so that it doesn't seem like I will never get there. Diabetes runs in my family so I am really trying to get healthy so that it is one less health issue I need to worry about in my future. I am going to do my best to stick with this website, and my goals!
  • monkeyfood
    Options
    Welcome :)
    Feel free to add me as a friend. We can support each other.