Do you log seasonings?

Options
I bought some seasoned chicken from a local meat dept. There are many different flavors but the two that I bought are lemon garlic and cajun. It's not pre-packaged meat that has all the nutritional facts on it. it's the meat thats wrapped by them. No nutritional facts. I can easily just log it as "chicken legs/thighs/whatever" but am I "supposed" to log the seasoning? If so how would I go about that? My husband works for them and he says its a mixture of seasons but he isnt sure what as he doesnt deal with that part.

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    if it's just herbs and spices, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a sauce, I'd figure out a way to log something for it.
  • msjac23
    msjac23 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do not log seasonings.
  • Ramatang
    Ramatang Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You'd be shocked at the calories in some seasonings
  • shadowfeet33
    shadowfeet33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I typically don't log seasonings, if I did I'd be here all day. The only thing I would keep in mind is sodium as it has a big impact on my progress or lack thereof.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I log seasonings when I am using them in the recipe builder to make many servings of something, but dried herbs and pepper, etc., would be negligible for a single serving of something.
  • desertSNOUT
    Options
    I don't ... Mustard is calorie free as well; if you are watching salt/sugar then that may be worth logging but I don't log any general 'spices.'
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The only reason I can think to do so is if you're watching your sodium intake for some reason (like high blood pressure) and the seasoning you're using contains sodium.

Otherwise don't bother, unless you want to be able to look back later on to see how you flavored something.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Depends on the nutritional info. I log things like marinades and Shake 'n Bake coatings, but not Mrs. Dash, pepper, oregano, etc..
  • ItsAnIllusion
    ItsAnIllusion Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I only make sure to log seasonings when it could affect my sodium count. (I have high blood pressure.)
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I don't with spices but definitely do if it's a marinade or something like that.
  • jcmrax5
    jcmrax5 Posts: 133
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's not a sauce or marinade. just dry spices. - and no high BP here! I wont worry about it. :)
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING, but that's just me.
  • rlotze
    rlotze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I made a recipe once on mfp and logged the herbs/spices so I could remember in the future.
    I was shocked at how many calories and nutrients were in each. I was expecting "0" of everything. Kind of stupid to assume that, but ....yeah... :)
    I now always make sure to log my seasonings, spices, and herbs.
  • sjeannot
    Options
    I log them but in the recipes. It is weird how I became so obsessed wit this site at one point that I was actually creating a recipe for everything I cooked or put in my mouth which included the spices and every single ingredient. I got to the point that I was really trying to stick to under 1200 calories and then was not eating enough. That was when I was really gunhoe and cooking everything ?I ate. Now I eat too much sometimes (or drink too much) but I will get back on track eventually. I still however do add the spices I put in my meals into the recipes because most food item listed in my diary is homemade by me anyway, so.
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I log every thing.