Any runners in the house?

Options
Hey beautiful people!

I jog quite often (at least twice a week) but I always seem to stop every 10 minutes or so (even though I jog a total of 30 minutes). I would really like to jog for 30 minutes without stopping but every single time I jog, it feels like the first time and this makes it very tough for me to keep going.

Could someone please give me some advice on how to build my endurance?

Replies

• hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    how long have you been jogging for? do you know your distances covered and can i presume you are jogging outside?
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'd say to just try to go a little longer for each run. Like if you're going to run for a total of 30 minutes, start out with a 3 ten minute runs, then the next time you run try to start with 11 minutes and then 9 minutes and then 10, third run do 12/8/10 or 12/9/9, and just keep working your way up on the first running section. Or you can look up the couch to 5k program and do that. You don't have to start at the beginning since you've already been running, but you could start wherever you think would work for you.

I always try not to walk during my runs because I have a hard time starting back up. I'll run slower if I need to, but I try not to walk.

Good luck!
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to stop? Breathing issue or muscle issue... or mental issues? A lot of running is in your head. If it's breathing, slow down. If it's weak or fatigued muscles, cross train more. If it's mental - stop psyching yourself out.

That said, in my experience the best way to run longer is to run longer. Even if you do run/walk intervals, if you build your overall endurance in time/distance, your body will/should be able to withstand and accomplish more as you train.
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest adding weights to your workout routine, it made a huge difference in my running and endurance. If you have a smartphone I would suggest the app "Runkeeper" it has running plans you can follow to help you increase distance, speed, and more! I use it in my training and it's fantastic. Keep in mind that interval training during running can really help you as well, running with periods of walking between will help you increase your endurance over time.
  • feesh510
    Options
    Maybe you're not running often enough? Most beginning runner training programs have you running 3-4x per week, not twice a week like you are.
  • sonhat123
    Options
    I run around 40-50 km a week but still feel I could look better am I doing something wrong - I should do other things other than just run shouldn't I?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I run around 40-50 km a week but still feel I could look better am I doing something wrong - I should do other things other than just run shouldn't I?

If your goal is aesthetics, running is definitely not the way to go about it.
  • 2dayirunforme
    2dayirunforme Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    While lacing up promise yourself that this time you won't be stopping. Go out and run but take a different route just breath and run don't think about stopping and don't stop keep going his is how you build your endurance with running. Running is mental and wanting to stop, well that's mental too. Good luck to you.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Try slowing down. That really helped me in the beginning. I really find the first 10 - 15 minutes are the hardest. Once you find your rhythm it gets a lot easier.

If you feel you really need to stop, make yourself go a little further each time.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Try one of the couch to 5k programs out there. Seeing as you can run 10 minutes already I'd skip several weeks, but the structure may give you something to aim for and get you there.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Try slowing down. Going a little slower will make a big difference and you can work on speed after you have built up your endurance. This has worked for me anyway. When I started running summer of 2012 I could barely go 10-15 min without stopping. Now my weekly long runs are about 2 hours (usually just over 10 miles). I figure I want to build my endurance and really don't care if I win any races but I have definitely gotten faster in the last year+. Good luck. :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I built up from 6 miles to 13 miles doing a 1 mile run, 1 min walk. Nothing wrong with intervals. It really depends on your goals.

But if you want to run it strait, like other people said, slow down.
  • julianadelbosque
    Options
    Try slowing down. That really helped me in the beginning. I really find the first 10 - 15 minutes are the hardest. Once you find your rhythm it gets a lot easier.

If you feel you really need to stop, make yourself go a little further each time.

Yes, slow down!! I was having a similar problem - toward the end of my 30-40 minute run, I could only run 2-4 minutes at a time. I knew I could run, but I just couldn't do so continuously. Everyone on here told me to slow down, so I tried it. I ran AN HOUR STRAIGHT the other day (albeit with breaks at stoplights, less than a minute each time though). It was incredible. However, I averaged about 4.8 mph. I'm a college student and I always feel bad seeing all these people around me running so much faster, but I am a beginner and am just thrilled to have run for so long.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are running too fast. I used to stop all the time and just convinced myself that I wasn't a long distance runner. The thing is, I would run too fast and then not have the endurance to maintain that speed for extended periods of time. Slowing down made all the difference. Today I ran more than 90 minutes non-stop. I wasn't going fast, but still I was going.
  • eemorton
    eemorton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me, the first me is still my hardest. If you can push yourself just a little further, and then a little further you'll be surprised at how far you can go.

I learned to run with 5K101 app. I know I couldn't have made it this far without that program.
  • QueenOfSophistication
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :)