JUICING!

Options
I am just getting a juicer and am open to any suggestions on what to use as well as the benefits. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to post!

Replies

• matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    For a fast or just as a meal replacement?

*grabs popcorn*
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I am just getting a juicer and am open to any suggestions on what to use as well as the benefits. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to post!

Eat your fruits and veggies instead of juicing them.......
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I would skip the juicer and get a nutribullet or a vitamix that way you get the fiber from the whole fruit/vegetable as well as the nutrients in the skins/peels. They liquify everything so there's no pulp.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Apples tend to be the foundation of most juice recipes, top and tail the charge you put in the machine with an apple. Loads of recipes on the internet but try to keep the focus on vegetables with some fruit rather than making high sugar juices from fruits all the time. Avocado blended into the juice (don't juice the avocado itself) provides some nutritious fats and a bit of texture.

https://www.juicemaster.com/recipes
  • KARIEM_S
    KARIEM_S Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hmm got to know about nutribullet
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options

Take it back to the store.
    Exchange it for a quesadilla maker.

or panini grill. Out of all my kitchen appliances it's my most used and most loved lol
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my juicer. It is neither for meal replacement nor cleansing, lol. Just a way to get more veggies and fruits in a tasty way... Obviously people are on their guard because they think everyone who juices believes in weird fasts or cleanses which is ignorant to think. :wink:

I get a lot of recipes from juicerecipes.com. Not sure about all the health benefits listed on the website, but it's freakin' veggies and fruits...so it's not like it's "bad" for you unless you are allergic.

Just be sure to get your fiber throughout the day in other ways since juicing removes it.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    If you add something that wrecks the taste for you... don't keep trying to force yourself, just 'cause it's good for you. Make juices that taste good, and you'll be happy drinking them. I freakn' LOVE grapefruit juice, with some apple to sweeten it up a touch, in the morning. I also don't like to mix fruit and vegetables in the same juice. I like simple stuff, like tomatoes, red peppers, celery, and carrots. I tried adding kale, 'cause apparently, it's all the rage... and for me, it destroyed the taste. So, no more kale in my juice.
  • CheyCheyLaRue
    CheyCheyLaRue Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have some great suggestions and even greater ones (even the quesadilla is an awesome suggestion) I got the juicer and I am really just looking to add more fruits/veggies is all. Not going to replace any meals just add some greens and fruits...JUICE ON PEEPS.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I love my juicer, especially to add fresh juice for breakfast on the weekends. I also love to have a juice snack once in awhile.

Enjoy the juicer. Glad you are not using ti for meal replacement though.
  • VNJohnson
    VNJohnson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    orange/carrot
    beet/apple/carrot
    pineapple/kale

Those are my favorites. Enjoy your juicer!
  • mush_mellow
    mush_mellow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do the 80/20 rule. 80% veggies, 20% fruit in your juicing. You don't want all fruit or too much fruit - as that would be way too much sugar. Look up Joe Cross - he's the guy that did that documentary called "FAT SICK AND NEARLY DEAD". I personally wouldn't be able to just do straight juice all day, without any food. There is a juice cleanse (not fast) that would allow you only one meal a day (the meal must consist of only fruits and veggies (no beans, proteins, dairy, breads/pasta)). You'll probably want to drink about 4 to 5 juices a day with lots of water through out... Blending your food (or using a vitamax) is not the same as juicing, as the fiber slows down the absorption of the vitamins and nutrition. Juicing is used to detox and cleanse the body to heal it. Blending your food will keep the fiber (which isn't a bad thing, just a different purpose) fiber will make you feel fuller longer, yet it's not used as a detox method. Blending would be recommended if you were doing a morning meal replacement or something like that.... Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • emalinemartin
    emalinemartin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
  • krissenior
    krissenior Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would skip the juicer and get a nutribullet or a vitamix that way you get the fiber from the whole fruit/vegetable as well as the nutrients in the skins/peels. They liquify everything so there's no pulp.

I saw the advert for this the other day and they look pretty awesome, if they werent so expensive id have one
  • arohaaaa2011
    Options
    I love juicing, its a good way to help me get extra goodness into diet.

I dont use it for weight loss either, just do it because its yummy and good for me. I start my day with juicing for brekkie and im good to go....i agree try to juice mostly vegetables, i started off juicing fruit for taste and slowly added more veges and phased out the fruit content. If you want flavour, add lemon and lime they really help, also ginger too.

Base of any juices i make is celery (its cheap and has high water content), from there i add a carrot, a lemon and a lime (peel the lime but i add whole lemon), spinach or brocolli, parsley, ginger and a piece of fruit and im good to go. I find it really yummy and enjoy it. i also add half a beetroot instead of a carrot sometimes.

Have a play around and see what you like, enjoy!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

QFT...

I have a nutribullet and prefer that....I just dump whatever I want in it and wham smoothie and I do use it as a meal replacement for breakfast...of course I add protien powder to it. And my husband finally eats veggies as his base is typically spinich or kale with some yogurt and fruit to sweeten it up.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I realize this is a bit late, but I'm currently doing my third juice fast. I can't really call it a juice fast because I'm consuming nuts, eggs, and protein shakes as well, (also still have my morning coffee) but here's what I do and I really enjoy it. I do this for three days and I try to use a variety each time so that nothing quite over-powers it taste-wise :

Breakfast: Green Apple, 3 cups kale, 1 carrot, 1/2 cucumber, handful of parsley and 1/2 lemon. Hard boiled egg.
    Morning Snack: 1 cup almond milk, 2 scoops protein powder.
    Lunch: Gala apple, 2 carrots, 3 cups spinach, 1/2 cucumber, 1/4 large beet, slice of ginger, 5-10 red grapes.
    Afternoon Snack: 20-30 mixed nuts (I like Planters Heart Healthy Blend)
    Dinner: 1 sweet potato, 1 peach, 1 carrot, 3 cups kale/spinach, 1/2 cucumber and handful of blueberries.
    Evening Snack: 1 cup almond milk, 2 scoops protein powder.

I don't like to do this for more than 3 days because I miss eating food and need fiber, but It gives me a good mental boost and shakes up my routine. Sometimes I decide to eat the apple instead of juice it, whatever you prefer. I'm one who gets bored with the same routine, so I just like doing different things. Nuts & protein intake along with juicing is important for several reasons, but the most important being that they help your body absorb a lot of the juicing nutrients. There's not much point in drinking all that juice if your body can't absorb it ;) Good luck, and enjoy!