help

Options
5 months ago I was diagnosed as bipolar, and been taking medication which made me gain 30 pounds and have fallen into depression. Now I'm also taking antidepressants. I've been trying to diet since then but its been really hard, all I do is think of food all day. This is my second day on mfp I really hope I find the support I need, I see a lot of people with success stories. I don't know how to commit to this for the past two days I've exceeded my caloric intake. I need some help, some ideas on how to stay motivated and take control. I feel like I lost total control of what I eat. Someone please help. I want to lose about 50 pounds.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    One of the most important steps to take is to start faithfully logging, even when you eat more than you should. That's how you start to take control of your food intake - by owning up to everything you put in your mouth. So logging is a good start, even if you go over.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yep logging your food is an awesome idea. Get a digital food scale and weigh out your portions ahead of time, that really helps too.
  • NikiMorgan27
    Options
    You are on the right track. You've gotten help medically and are now on the path to a physically healthier you as well. It is hard at first. You are changing your lifestyle and to do so requires that you step out of your comfort zone. I know what it is like to gain weight because of medication. It's very frustrating! Start by getting some healthier things when you buy your groceries. Switch out what your normal snacks would be for some healthier things, but make sure they are things you would still enjoy. Also, make sure you are getting enough water throughout the day. It helps with cravings. Then make time for exercise. It will help so much with not only the weight loss but your mental well being as well. Start small if you need to and work up to more. I have found alot of support here on MFP. I began eating unhealthily again after vacation this summer and am now looking to lose that weight again. It happens! Life happens! You just have to be willing to pick yourself up and keep going. You can do this!
  • fosshage79
    fosshage79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started MFP not too long ago, and there is so much support here with a diverse group of members who have so many different backgrounds and stories. Your diagnosis does not define you and your story will only be that much more powerful not just for you, but also the many others you will motivate because of the challenges and obstacles you had the strength to acknowledge, seek services and supports, and ultimately overcome. The medication that may have contributed to your weight gain will also contribute to your success in losing it ... hang in there and be PROUD you have already taken this first step. It is not an easy journey and know that you are not alone in it.
  • BREN0402
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will log all my food to see if that helps. I'm really looking forward to this, I just don't know how to control my cravings sometimes. I eat until all the junk foods gone and my dad loves to buy cookies and breads and thats where my weakness comes in. I go grocery shopping and buy healthy snacks but its so hard sometimes seeing all the junk food in the house.
  • kjwalker59
    kjwalker59 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about going over your calorie allotment for the first few days. It takes a while to get the hang of what you can eat and what to avoid. Plus, it will be hard until you have what you like and and can eat in your house. The first day I started I was about 800 calories over, the second day was slightly better, only about 500 calories... it wasn't until about the fourth or fifth day that I started eating within my allotment. I had to shop for new foods and clean out the cupboards, etc. My daughter and I have a special "only for us" food cupboard. Just a thought for you - that way you can avoid the junk food and just go straight to your own personal low cal stash... You can do it!!
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Your are taking the right steps. Baby steps first. Change one thing at a time. Don't try doing everything at once, as in, drastically changing your eating habits and exercising all on the same day. Do one for a few weeks, and then slowly add the other. My biggest down fall is junk food and craving it. I have a husband that buys it all the time and it drives me nuts as well. One thing I like to do is drink water all the time. If you don't like water, add in a water flavor (kool aid makes a liquid squeezable that I like). I seriously drink almost 120 oz of water a day and it helps so much with the cravings. It keeps me full before meals and flushes you out after meals. Be prepared to pee though, you will get used to it longer you do it. Moderation is key to eating. You can eat almost anything you want, just make sure it is only one serving. This morning I had pancakes and sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast and it was amazing. The other thing I would suggest is come to the realization that the weight needs to come off slowly rather than quickly. The slower it comes off, the longer it will stay gone. I have my calculator set for a .5 lb a week and some weeks its more and some weeks is a gain, but I am down almost 40lbs eating just about everything I want all the time. You can do this. Add me if you like, I log daily and would love to support you on your journey.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The best advice i can give you is workout! You want to eat then burn more! A 30 min workout will burn around 300 cals. you can burn up to 1000 cals if you work intensively for an hour!!
    Then you won't need to feel guilty about going over!!

Good luck
  • DaRealMcKoy
    DaRealMcKoy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was in the same position as you, my bipolar meds caused me to gain 30-40 lbs. It also threw me into depression & I finally told my doctor. He worked with me to find a combo that would keep me stable and not supersize my appetite. It took a number of tries, but we finally found the right combo. Now that I'm stable, I am able to commit to the process (& it is a process). I still lose weight really really slowly, but I'm losing. I am doing strength training, so I feel stronger (even if I can't see it).

So, all that to say. Work with your doctor to find a combo that works for you. Let him/her know that your concern over your weight is contributing to your depression. Hopefully they will work with you to find a happy medium.

Don't try to eat the apple in one gulp. Commit to 1 thing a month. . Start off with something like drinking 8 cups of water a day. Get that habit going then add another like walk 10 mins a day. And on & on. It's easy for us beepers to get overwhelmed pretty easily, so taking it piece by piece has worked for me.
  • maustinfuller
    maustinfuller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    One thing that really helps me is to cook a big pot of healthy food that I can grab later when I'm hungry- like a veggie stew. Planni g meals ahead of time also helps me. Ill sit down and think about the week on the weekend and pick out three good healthy meals i want to make that week - these kind of anchor my meal plan. Also, rather than focusing on cutting things out, I try to focus on adding more vegetables, beans, and 100% whole grains to my diet. That stuff fills you up faster than processes foods, which are designed to make you want to eat more! I've also cut way back on animal products after watching 'forks over knives', which is a great documentary that I highly recommend if you are concerned about your health. I found it really inspirational. You can stream it on Netflix. Good luck, and just keep doing it!!!
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi there...welcome to MFP I hope you find the support and help to motivate you via the site. I empathise with you as I am aware how difficult it is adjusting to the medication given for Bipolar and the consequential effects weight gain, depression and so on and I know through working with a friend that sometimes it feels like your hitting a brick wall!

There are quite a few folk on here that suffer from Bipolar and will inevitably be facing the same issues as yourself. Definitely post a new message stating your looking for folks who like yourself have been diagnosed with Bipolar to see what they have found helps to motivate them.

Logging is a great start and increases our awareness of the choices we make in relation to food, and helps us to make better choices. Good Luck :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!