Fruit Flies are a Real Problem

Options
Hey all! I have accepted the challenge of changing my life style and am loving it. I have no idea why it is all so clear now. It just is. I am eating right and exercising. I read about health and food and try to make better decisions. (The level of fruit and veg consumption in my house has created quite the fruit fly problem.)
I still like cheese and wine.
I don't exercise every day.
I learn new things all the time, I use what makes sense and discard the info that is overwhelming.
I have had a really positive year. Since January 1 I have lost 63lbs.
Am looking for light hearted people who like to succeed to join me as friends. Before you "friend me" you should know my husband says I am chatty.

Replies

• arabellaella
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and new healthy habits! I came in prepared to tell you about vinegar traps for the fruit flies. LOL
  • dawndovell
    dawndovell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Please do tell. They are makIng me bonkers!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Came to help swat the flies! Friend me if you want - I'm here for the long haul.
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and new healthy habits! I came in prepared to tell you about vinegar traps for the fruit flies. LOL

Too funny, I was about to say the same!!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

I'd love that information! :laugh:
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I had a fruit fly problem too. Then, I started putting all of my fruit and most raw veggies into the fridge. I leave onions and potatoes out at room temperature. I also put any fruit peels into a small bag before throwing into the trash so that the flies aren't drawn to the trash. Within a WK or so, the problem was solved.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    you are more then welcome to friend me , I am here for as long as it takes.Not going anywhere for a nice while yet.
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So I guess I should say something about the fruit flies anyway... best way to capture them is to have a glass, or many, 1/3 fill with red wine vinegar, one drop of dish liquid, and then cover with saran wrap. before sealing, push down in the centre of the glass, so you have an upside cone with the plastic wrap. Flies go in, but they're too dumb to find their way out - I had a glass full of them in a few days. No more fruit fly problem! :-) hope that helps. and feel free to friend if you would like more support. cheers!
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes, congrats on your weight loss and for taking a very healthy approach with lots of fruits/ veggies. :happy:
  • EdwarddeVere
    Options
    Fruit flies = protein
  • ziggypop93
    ziggypop93 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You can also use apple cider vinegar :) I do something similar, but using a long neck bottle (like a wine bottle), use a piece of paper to create funnel, put a little acv in the bottom of the bottle. Same thing, they are too dumb to get out but man they love apple cider vinegar!
  • arabellaella
    Options
    Sure. Just like jenlarson75 said, apple cider vinegar works really well. Put a few holes in a jar or plastic container that are small enough for the fruit flies to get in, and put a bit of apple cider vinegar inside. They love it for some reason!
  • dawndovell
    dawndovell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help. I really hate when one of those little guys gets into my wine!
    I am actually happy to have a fruit fly problem. You never have potato chip fly problems. So, kind of a good problem, like having to wear a belt!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I had a fruit fly problem. I made my own solution. 2tbsp. of grape juice (any kind), 2tbsp. white vinegar, and one drop of dish soap all in a shallow, small bowl. Stir. Sit on counter. You should catch around 25 to 30 per bowl within the first half hour. They go in but then because of the dish soap, the tension on the juice combo isn't there and they drown. I refresh them every 2 days until there are no more. :) Works better than the other methods I have tried.
  • 271lisa
    271lisa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and I'm with you on the fruit fly epidemic....they are OUT of control!!! How weird is this...some of them got into my bread! I have fresh peaches and apples and plums and they headed for the bread?? lol Feel free to add me. I'm new on here and I am looking for fun positive friends. Chattiness is welcome! :)
  • akathatoneguy
    akathatoneguy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Fruit flies = protein

Totally. I mix them in my protein shakes all the time! But don't let the name fool you- they are not a fruit substitute.

*rimshot* Thanks, everyone! You were great. I'll be here all week!
  • 271lisa
    271lisa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That just made me laugh! :)
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You had me at "cheese and wine." :heart:
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For the fruit flies, I make a vinegar-soap trap in a beer bottle (or similarly shaped bottle.)

Fill about 1/2-1 inch of apple cider vinegar in the bottle, add a drop or two of dish soap. Shake very lightly to mix together. You don't want too many bubbles! Put the bottle in an area where the flies gather, and leave there for a few days.

I hope this helps!
  • For the fruit flies, I make a vinegar-soap trap in a beer bottle (or similarly shaped bottle.)

Fill about 1/2-1 inch of apple cider vinegar in the bottle, add a drop or two of dish soap. Shake very lightly to mix together. You don't want too many bubbles! Put the bottle in an area where the flies gather, and leave there for a few days.

I hope this helps!

Ahh now someone is speaking my language. I have a working knowledge of empty beer bottles :drinker: .
    Who knew that MFP would be so helpful in getting rid of fruit flies. You guys rock.