Cold water slows metabolism?

Options
I read some articles that state that cold water slows your metabolism and impairs your digestion. The sites recommend drinking room temperature water instead or not drinking and eating at the same time. This theory is corroborated by Valeria Lukyanova the "Real Life Barbie," but then again she believe she is an alien and an expert in astral projection so I'll trust her significantly less than I could throw her (get it, cause she's skinny, lol...)

Have you guys heard of this and is there any credence to it?

Replies

• PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have heard that. I have also hard that drinking cold water wakes up your system so I imagine no matter how you get it it's good.
  • MissBellatrix
    Options
    Well, it is actually opposite of what I read in a certain articles in a medical jpurnal. There was a study conducted that drinking cold water, especially every morning can help to increase the metabolism around 3o%... not slower it down.

Oh, the real life Brabie eh? Well, I prefer to believe into medical studies than her... ( just a personal opinion though.)
  • Shateyn
    Options
    Hm... if anything I think it would speed your metabolism because your body would be working harder to maintain a normal temperature. I have no facts to base this theory on though.

Either way, I think if it did make a difference it would be too minor to even begin to affect any weight gain/loss.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    In basic military training we were forced to drink water at room temperature because they said drinking cold water forces your metabolism into overdrive and you burn more calories. Since we were eatting so little and working out so hard they didnt want us burning any more calories than we needed to be lol
  • femjesse
    Options
    It was her #1 weight loss tip not to drink cold water and eat at the same time. I've been drinking a pint of cold water to start my day for a few months and it appears to be working. I was just wondering if I should abstain from drinking and eating at the same time, then. Are there any studies on that?
  • ballerina_tea
    ballerina_tea Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Maybe this rule only applies to astral travellers? She sounds like a bonafide nutjob.
  • femjesse
    Options
    Perhaps... I'd really love to continue drinking cold water with my favorite spicy foods =)
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Yup it's cold water that speeds it up.

Also ice baths are excellent, but no chance of me doing that! brrrrrrrr
  • femjesse
    Options
    Well thanks everyone for confirming my suspicions that Barbie may not know what she's talking about. I'm going to continue enjoying water with meals guilt free =)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Even with the remote chance that water temperature affects anything metabolically, the difference would be so minute that it would not matter. Drink your water hot, cold or room temperature. Mix stuff in it or drink it plain. Drink it alone or with meals (or both). It will not make an appreciable difference.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I've read that drinking water while eating dilutes the digestive "juices" in your stomach and makes it harder on your body to process your food. Of course, I've never looked into it further because I always drink water while eating and don't want another thing to feel slight guilt over.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Ummmm... That chick says she's a sun eater too. I wouldn't take any advice from her.
    Re drinking with meals, I down a lot of fluids with my meals -- cold ones, in fact -- and my metabolism seems pretty normal. I do like my water closer to room temperature most of the time, but that has more to do with bad dental work than with some mystical effect on metabolism.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I read some articles that state that cold water slows your metabolism and impairs your digestion. The sites recommend drinking room temperature water instead or not drinking and eating at the same time. This theory is corroborated by Valeria Lukyanova the "Real Life Barbie," but then again she believe she is an alien and an expert in astral projection so I'll trust her significantly less than I could throw her (get it, cause she's skinny, lol...)

Have you guys heard of this and is there any credence to it?

It's actually half the other way. A lower temperature would increase the energy expenditure because the body would need to heat itself back up. And yes it would impair digestion because most enzymes only work at very specific temperatures, thus the need for heating.

This however doesn't have many applications because drinking cold water for weight loss would need to be in significant quantities - this will probably upset your gut microbiota and give you an upset stomach all the time. Drinking room temperature water is harmless.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I don't know about metabolism but cold showers help when I really really really horny.
  • leehudson1
    leehudson1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The best way to think of it is that your body burns energy to produce heat if an outside influence cools it, be it a cold drink cold shower or generally colder weather in the winter more fuel will be needed to maintain your body temperature so cold things will increase metabolism :o)