Wii Sports

Options
Soo I was kind of sore and bored today (that rhymes! :laugh: YESS I'M LAME :blushing: ) , and I felt like doing something different! Something other than walking/skipping/yoga... I came across the wii sports option in the database! I played about an hour of wii sports - tennis, continuously. It said that I burned about 300 calories. Is it true? Is wii sports really effective as a calorie burner? Also, I don't plan on doing this regularly, it's just a once in a while thing!

Replies

• rachelrrl
    rachelrrl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this as well, I really enjoy the tennis and boxing.
  • Leebett
    Leebett Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've googled this many times and most people average about 5 calories per minute burned. A little more for the very active and a little less on the others. If you are doing the tennis, boxing or step that should be about right. Obviously, how much effort you put into make a difference too. I can play the tennis game sitting comfortably on my couch (not that I would advise that) ;)

I use the wii for my "but I don't wanna work out" (said in a whiny voice) days.

Hope this helps.
  • jmayerovitch
    jmayerovitch Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had major surgery a few years back and the Wii Fit/Wii Sports was exactly the right level of activity to get me moving afterward.
  • penelopeyvonne
    penelopeyvonne Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It was Wii Sports and Just Dancing (the Just Sweat option) that has really worked for me - I seriously used to do next to NO exercise whatsoever. Now I do it every day and feel guilty / odd if I don't. I use the Tennis to slow/cool down - I love the Wii Boxing - that really takes my heartrate up and makes me sweat - great fun, too!

I still prefer to exercise in the privacy of my own home so it's perfect.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Anything and everything burn *some* calories, so in that regard, yes it's fine. 300 cals in an hour is 5 cals per minute, which seems a little high to me for wii sports, but it's certainly possible depending on the person.
  • m301
    m301 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you soo much for your opinion! Helped a lot! Also, I googled a bit! An hour of table tennis/ ping pong burns a great deal of calories. Around 280'ish, depending on your weight and activity... So I think wii sports - tennis would be more or less the same!
  • penelopeyvonne
    Options
    Thank you soo much for your opinion! Helped a lot! Also, I googled a bit! An hour of table tennis/ ping pong burns a great deal of calories. Around 280'ish, depending on your weight and activity... So I think wii sports - tennis would be more or less the same!

I don't think wii tennis burns *quite* that much - I generally put it down as around 4 cals per minute... It's actually my "cool down" activity - not the big Let's Do This one!:happy:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible to get that burn from Wii Sports, depending what you put into it.
  • LolitaBot
    Options
    I don't really have too much faith in the wii series of exercise games. However, I do recommend Dance Dance Revolution (in the arcade, or the home version - however the home version tends to slide around on the floor beneath you unless you come up with an effective way to grip it to the floor). In about a year, I lost at least 20 lbs just from playing regularly (and challenging myself to play more difficult songs). I even ate whatever I wanted - threw my diet out the window when I was playing regularly, and still lost weight because I burned so many calories.

These days I can't play as hard due to a medical condition, so I actually have to watch what I eat to lose weight. But I do highly recommend that game. Get a used copy of the home version and a cheap dance pad (make sure you find a good way to grip it to your floor - grip tape, etc), and play. The fun of it makes it easy to forget that you're exercising.

And even better, try playing in the arcade if you ever come across a functional machine ^_~
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    it's very easy to get a nice burn in the boxing game if you're doing it wrong and just flailing away.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Try it while wearing a heart rate monitor. As with anything, it depends on your size, how fit/unfit you are and how much effort you exert while playing.
  • penelopeyvonne
    Options
    it's very easy to get a nice burn in the boxing game if you're doing it wrong and just flailing away.

It's also very good at working off a bad day at work!! I KO'd Matt the Trainer three times this week...

Yes, if you do it RIGHT you can even sit down and do it, which is no good at all. I really *throw* those punches and work up a real sweat. I do about 30 minutes of it each night but this week (bad week at work) I've not been in the mood to dance (song title in there somewhere :ohwell: ) so the 25 minutes that that take up has mostly gone to boxing. I also wanted to lose the +7lbs I put on throough *not* exercising enough while I was on holiday at the end of September and - very VERY pleased to say - as of this morning, it has GONE :bigsmile:
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I would tend to think it's too high an estimate, because that's about what I burn when I'm lifting weights for an hour... which is much more work.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options

It's also very good at working off a bad day at work!! I KO'd Matt the Trainer three times this week...

Yes, if you do it RIGHT you can even sit down and do it, which is no good at all. I really *throw* those punches and work up a real sweat. I do about 30 minutes of it each night but this week (bad week at work) I've not been in the mood to dance (song title in there somewhere :ohwell: ) so the 25 minutes that that take up has mostly gone to boxing. I also wanted to lose the +7lbs I put on throough *not* exercising enough while I was on holiday at the end of September and - very VERY pleased to say - as of this morning, it has GONE :bigsmile:

I was just kidding, as the computer rocks your world over like a 1000 rating if you just flail away on the boxing game.