Calculating BMR and TDEE

Options
I have noticed that there a lot of people wondering how to calculate BMR and TDEE. There is an app on here that will calculate BMR for you but not TDEE. I am sure there are many who have seen this formula but I thought to put it out for anyone who has not.

I got this from Dr. Oz's website.

The Harris Benedict equation, laid out below for both women and men, is a calorie formula that many nutritionists use, including myself, using the factors of height, weight, age, and gender to determine basal metabolic rate.

Women

661 + (4.38 x weight in pounds) + (4.38 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age) = BMR

Men

67 + (6.24 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.9 x age) = BMR

Let’s do the equation for a 40-year-old man who is 6 feet tall (72 inches) and weighs 175 pounds:

67 + (6.24 x 175) + (12.7 x 72) – (6.9 x 40) = BMR

67 + 1,092 + 914.4 – 276 = 1,797.40

The man in our example utilizes 1,797.4 calories at rest.

To determine additional calories you consume through activity, you need to use a multiplier. To determine, based on your basal metabolism and activity level, the total number of calories you require each day to stay at your present weight, multiply your BMR by the one of the following numbers, depending on your activity level. The resulting number is known as your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE).

Sedentary x 1.15

Light activity (normal, everyday activities) x 1.3

Moderately active (exercise 3 to 4 times a week) x 1.4

Very active (exercise more than 4 times a week) x 1.6

Extremely active (exercise 6 to seven times a week) x 1.8

If the man in our example is a very active person, we would multiply 1,797.4 (his BMR) x 1.6 (very active) and get 2,875.84 as the total calories he utilizes each day. This means that on a daily basis, his weight will not change if he eats approximately 2,875.84 calories each day and continues to exercise.

So to lose weight, you should then subtract about 500 calories.

Replies

• laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also want to mention that this just one formula. You should know your body and what feels right. Also you should consult a Dr or a Nutritionist for what they recommend for you.

I am no expert but found this formula to be helpful for me personally
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There's also a very useful thread here that a lot of people have used to calculate their BMR, TDEE, macronutrients, etc. (and better yet, it doesn't involve Dr. Fraud....errrr, Oz.):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

EDIT: The Katch-McCardle equation is preferable if you know your BF% - it will give a more accurate estimation of your BMR and therefore, your TDEE. Dan discusses this in the above thread.
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing:) I will look into that as well. I love learning new info from other mfpers. I just thought to post something that is simply for some people who are new.
  • laura6009
    laura6009 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tdarrow72
    Options
    Great info! Thanks!
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    According to all these calculations I am not eating enough.....but I eat almost 2000 calories daily but am not losing weight....
    BMR with this calculation is 1581.46.
    Grrrrrrr
  • lzvbeantown
    lzvbeantown Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So from this calculation my BMR came to 1485. I'm very active so I multiplied it by 1.6 for a TDEE of 2376. If I deduct 20% to lose weight I get down to 1901 calories a day. So is that what I should input on my calorie goals and then not eat the exercise calories?
  • floareaciprian
    floareaciprian Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Only athelte's are very active, you should never put very active or sedentary.