Is it possible to lose 18lbs in 3 months?

Options
CW: 142lbs
Height: 5'6
25 year old female

I have the holiday of a lifetime coming up on 16th December and i really would like to lose 18lbs by then.

Would this be possible? if so, how?

Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    is it possible to lose 18 lbs of FAT in 3 months. No, is it possible to lose 18 lbs in 3 months? Yes.

You lose weight by being in a caloric deficit.

#BOOM
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it is possible but I wouldn't suggest it.

At your current weight and goal weight that works to over 1lb a week...most people would shoot for .5lb a week with 18 to lose.

As for how my inital lose I used the 17day diet method and I dropped a significant amount of weight in the first 34 days and I have kept it off but I had at that time 65lbs to go...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    CW: 142lbs
    Height: 5'6
    25 year old female

I have the holiday of a lifetime coming up on 16th December and i really would like to lose 18lbs by then.

Would this be possible? if so, how?

thats fairly unrealistic given your starting weight.

you may be able to get 1lb per week if you work hard enough.
  • vtotheicky
    vtotheicky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yeah it should definitely be possible. If you lose 2lbs a week (8lbs per month) you should lose 24lbs in 3 months if you work out consistently and eat really healthily.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    not safely. that 18 lbs is about all you need to lose total and it will not be easy. Slow and steady is your best bet. Follow MFP calorie guidlines for 1 pound a week and you will lose a good part of that 18 in 3 months.
  • tomoswilding
    tomoswilding Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I I've lost 30lbs in 3 months doing a Keto diet with mild/moderate exercise, but my starting weight was 266lbs so I had much more to lose! I'm 28 and Male too which might affect things. Still, it should be possible, just don't force it!
  • Beccaakeen
    Options
    I lost 15lbs in 3 months and that's with the odd bad day. So I'm sure you could too :)
  • fairygramjan
    Options
    I just found out I have type 2 diabetes in April, so I really had to change the way I eat. Following the instructions the dietitian gave me I have lost 47 lbs. That's approximately 8 lbs. a month or 2 lbs a week and I have been able to maintain the 2 lb loss over the whole time. I started at 1500 calories, and as I lost the first lbs. the dietitian lowered my calories to 1200 because I fell into a different category. So you might try following a diabetic diet. There's no harm to someone without diabetes, and you should be able to find some suggestions easily on the internet. I currently weigh 235, so it might be easier with so much to lose. This diet relies on counting carbs rather than calories, so you can't fill up your calories with potatoes, pasta and bread. That might help, too. I've really been surprised how fast the weight is coming off, Good luck!
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'v lost 36 pounds in less than 2 1/2 months but I started at 170 pounds so I had more to lose starting out than you. So yes it is possible. Calorie deficit, only drink water & workout ALOT!!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    With your stats, most likely not.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    The more you have to lose, the more likely it is. The closer you are to a healthy weight, the harder it is to lose. I'd rein it in, do a lot of muscle "toning"/weightlifting over the next 3 months, rather than losing weight you'd be accentuating what you've already got. I may be biased though, this month I've purposely been losing inches instead of pounds and I love what it's doing for me.

YMMV
  • donjessop
    Options
    Based on your current age/height/weight and having a 1200 net calorie diet (calories eaten -calories burned through exercise) a more realistic target would be 10 pounds. Instead of concentrating on weight, concentrate on inches. You can convert the weight from fat to muscle and look slimmer without reducing your calories to an unsafe level.