Suggestions for low impact cardio workout

Options
Some months ago I got tendonitis in the knee playing squash and I am unable to walk on it for any real length of time without it flarring up (did 10 miles at the weekend and its still painful now).

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get a good cardio work out that is low impact...no running/jumping etc?

I do have an exercise bike but unsure if thats good for the knee or not?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    walking..?
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    What about swimming?
  • Gazjam_1985
    Options
    Cant walk on it for longer than a few miles without it being painful.
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Bikes may be good for some people but not others. I injured my meniscus on one ( regular road bike). What about swimming or water aerobics/ or walking in a pool? Depending on your injury elliptical trainers might work. You will have to cautiously do trial and error, I think. Good luck-- being injured is no fun.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think the best low impact cardio is supposed to be swimming, pretty much no impact at all. Elipticals take out some of the impact but I don't know if in your case it will be enough.
  • dareacceptor
    dareacceptor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I saw this thread and thought - great! I'll get some ideas for dealing with a knee injury myself. Seems there are three suggestions: walk, swim, bike. *sigh* So many more choices when the knee is working correctly.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Rebounding ....that's a mini-trampoline (look up http://www.jumpsport.com/) ...not the stiff cheapies at Wal-Mart

or ........

"Walk at Home" These are "walking DVDs" ....actually just low impact aerobics without the choreography or dance moves. No twisty type moves. You add intensity with arm movements and light handweights. To lessen the impact more, put down a puzzle mat ..... and do your workout on a softer surface. I do this when I "walk" on the cement floor in the basement.