How cold before you put your heat on?

Options
My house is 16*C (60*F) this morning, and I really didn't want to get undressed for the shower! But I don't want to put the heating on yet, as we're forecast an "little Indian summer" at the end of the month and my frugal side wants to hold out till after that.

At what temperature do you put your heat on?

Replies

• gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Depends on the weather. 50° and sunny, I leave the heat off. 50° and rainy, turn it on and set it at 60-65°. I have a space heater or my bathroom that I turn on about 5-10 minutes before the shower, and turn it off when I'm finished. It's more energy efficient than heating my whole house.

I usually don't turn the heat on for good until the temperature has been in the low 50° for several weeks and it looks like fall is here to stay. But we have a newer home that is very well insulated, so it stays pretty much comfortable in doors year round. If I had an older or less insulated home, I would probably turn it on sooner.
  • norwichman
    norwichman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you should keep the heat off, burns more calories.
  • cmb67
    cmb67 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like it chilly with a nice sweatshirt & blanket to wear! I left all the windows open the other night, not realizing how cold it would be...it was 58F when I woke up! I don't turn it on until someone else complains. :o)
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    When I wake up and it feels like this...

tumblr_inline_mt9ohnXuHX1ry74sj.gif
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm in Northeast PA. It's usually mid-to-late-October that I flip the switch.

It was 38 when I woke up this morning, 62 in the house, and I still had the a/c on low in the bedroom last night.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    We usually keep ours off till October - usually mid Oct. But it's looking set to be a cold winter this year, and an early one, so I guess we might give in earlier. I wait till slippers and an extra layer aren't enough indoors.
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Depends, if the house gets much below 64 - 65 on a regular basis I'll consider turning it on. I usually keep it set at about 65 during the winter months. Lots of people think that's too cold, but it's just perfect for laying about in sweats.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    During the winter, I will set the heater to about 72.
    It comes on about 10 times during the cold winter months when I finally close up the house.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    My wife says 65, I say 60. The buttons on the thermostat get a lot of use.....
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    It was 42 degrees (F) last night and we had the air conditioner on! My man and I love a freezing cold room for sleeping. We usually don't turn the heat on until freezing temps pop up and even then, we usually keep the heat at 70 degrees, and end up sleeping with the window cracked. Last year we woke up to a small snow drift on our bedroom window sill. :laugh:
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Not until the overnight temps drop below freezing (32F) to keep the pipes from bursting. I have extra comforters and I've been known to use my hair dryer to warm myself and my sheets. Hey, people used to use bed warmers all the time.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Well I live in a shared house and bills are included so i don't have to worry about bills....however it can be -10 degrees C outside and I still wont turn it on. I hate the smell of the heating and I just like feeling cold.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It was 42 degrees (F) last night and we had the air conditioner on! My man and I love a freezing cold room for sleeping. We usually don't turn the heat on until freezing temps pop up and even then, we usually keep the heat at 70 degrees, and end up sleeping with the window cracked. Last year we woke up to a small snow drift on our bedroom window sill. :laugh:

Just like me really. I always have the window open :)
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Never before October and never set the thermostat higher than 64F. We supplement with a wood stove in our kitchen, so when it gets uncomfortable elsewhere, we gravitate to the kitchen. I make lots of soups in winter and keep the tea kettle at the ready. But like most other people, we like a cooler bedroom.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's already on. It's 7C this morning.
  • brandynot
    Options
    I subscribe to the thought that I work WAAAAY too hard to be too cold or too hot in my own home. :noway: So if I wake up and cant shake the morning chill then the heat will go on. Definitely hasn't gotten there yet. I am usually good until early-mid October.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    When I have a girlfriend 65 degrees F and below.

When I'm single 32 degrees F and below. You know, just to keep the pipes from freezing.

Vodka is your friend.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    My house is 16*C (60*F) this morning, and I really didn't want to get undressed for the shower! But I don't want to put the heating on yet, as we're forecast an "little Indian summer" at the end of the month and my frugal side wants to hold out till after that.

At what temperature do you put your heat on?

Our thermostat is set to 21 degrees, if it falls below that indoors, it automatically switches on, no matter what the time of the year is.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    After the hurricane last year my resistance to cold in the house has definitely gone up. I usually don't put it on unless I'm shivering