Headaches!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Do you get them? What was the most effective way to get rid of them? I missed work yesterday with a raging headache and it's still here today. I tried increasing my calorie intake, made sure I was drinking a lot of water in case it was dehydration... seriously at the end of my rope right now. Help please - anyone!!!!

Replies

• scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Was it a migraine? If so and you get them frequently you might want to visit the doctor. Even non migraine headaches that happen very frequently can warrant a doctor visit.

If you cut out caffeine recently that might be a cause of headaches. I know I got them a lot in the first bit after cutting way back on sodas.
  • vayvonne1999
    vayvonne1999 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I do have migraines and took that yesterday, but it's back today. Just aggravating. The caffeine - I thought about that yesterday and actually had some for the first time in about three months. I'm in the south and the weather is starting to change so maybe that is it. Who knows... just throws me off my game. I think a trip to the dr will be in order if the rest of the week is like this.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Some ideas - caffeine can fix headaches sometimes, so maybe try coffee, works for me alot
    are you doing low carb? I died trying it and headaches was one of my problems
    on another totally different note - have you changed birth control recently because those often times cause migraines in women as well

hopefully something in there was helpful
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I never get headaches, they must not be real.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I live about 80% of my life with a migraine. Caffeine seems like it helps, but is likely to end up causing them. I was going to come in this thread and try to offer some suggestions (exercise, magnesium, b2, feverfew, cutting caffeine, etc..), but then remembered that I've tried everything and had to resort to getting a million shots of botox in my head a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting to see some results. Good luck!
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Another thought that I see wasn't touched on here, could it be a tension headache? If your neck/shoulders are overly tight, it will eventually travel up to your head and cause the headache. If it this is the case, try using a heating pad to warm up the neck and shoulders, then stretch them out.

I've had experience with the other options listed as well.
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    Headaches are definitely real - lol! I get them too - I have migraines - common triggers can be gluten, sodium nitrites and aged cheeses, wine or alcohol, too much caffeine, not enough caffeine, chocolate, blood sugar spikes or dips, stress, flourescent lighting, hormones, allergies, weather changes, blood pressure spikes and drops ---- and oh, the list goes on... May need the Dr to help you figure it out. and keep a headache diary - especially if you know you have migraines. Tracking your food on here can help you pinpoint some triggers. Sorry you're hurting and hope you are better soon!
  • amb0919
    amb0919 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'll have to agree with what Scot & CDFlinn said, but also add in that it could also be that your neck/shoulder/upper back muscles have some knots/trigger points that can trigger headaches too. A Deep tissue/Trigger Point massage would help get those out as well as any others your muscles are holding in, helping you relax all over. Check with your Dr as well, it could be that as your body is changing the medication isn't being as effective and may need a different dosage. I had that happen with one of my meds and since my Dr changed it, everything is good :)
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    First, how many calories are you eating and do you drink lots of water?

Before menopause, I had food-triggered migraines. It's a hormonal thing. Check out the foods that cause migraines and log your food. That way, when you have a headache, you can check to see if you had one of the foods on the list. Ripe bananas, MSG, avocados, aged cheese, citrus fruits, chocolate... the list goes on. I avoided them all for years! Fortunately, after menopause, the sensitivity disappeared.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Another thought that I see wasn't touched on here, could it be a tension headache? If your neck/shoulders are overly tight, it will eventually travel up to your head and cause the headache. If it this is the case, try using a heating pad to warm up the neck and shoulders, then stretch them out.

I've had experience with the other options listed as well.

I agree with this person. Tension headaches are the worst. They can stay at the base of your head or they can travel up and around, causing discomfort by your ears and eyes as well. Do you drive a lot? If so, do you lurch your head forward? Too much of a strain on the Traps can cause headaches. Heating pads help. Some people will tell you to use a tennis ball to get the muscle to relax. For some people, the adhesive icy-hot pads work well. (I use the Salon Pas because the capsaicin seems to work better for me than the menthol.)

If it's in your budget and you're not adverse to it, most chiropractors offer x-rays as part of a new patient screening. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on MFP, but if the bones in your neck aren't exactly where they're supposed to be and are causing weird pressure where it's not supposed to be, there might be a correlation between the two...

If those two things don't pan out, there might be more going on that you should probably get checked out. I hope you feel better.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just something to look into...sucralose (aka Spenda). That is that main cause of my headaches. I haven't gotten any since I discovered the cause. So if you consume any fake sugar you might want to look at that. Even the smallest amount of sucralose will cause a headache for me.
  • rlp2891
    rlp2891 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had chronic migraines for many years- just recently I figured out that chocolate was one of my biggest triggers. There are a crazy amount of possibilities though, and everyone's different, so if this is a frequent issue for you it would be a good idea to see a doctor. There are a lot of options before you even think about meds, such as food triggers, sleep patterns, stress relief, etc., so hopefully you can find a solution! Good luck!
  • vayvonne1999
    vayvonne1999 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Guys - y'all are so full of good information!!! Some of these things I have thought of and others didn't even cross my mind. I think I have been eating far too few calories - most days not getting to 1200. I read a lot about that yesterday so I think I may be creating my own problems here. I am going to start making changes with my caloric intake. Water is a huge focus for me. Stress is the main trigger for my migraines. Just need to find some relief... chiropractors are amazing - I think I will make an appt.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    try the stress vitamin - B-2 also don't know if it works cause I haven't tried it , but some say rub a cut lime across your forehead if that is where the ache is.