Quit exercising but still eating very clean. Anyone?

Options
I've stopped P90x for a multitude of lazy reasons but I've kept up with the clean eating and the weight is still coming off, albeit a bit more slowly. I do plan to pick up P90x again but I just don't. Anyone else experienced this?

I keep telling myself I'll start again because the loss has slowed down a bit but it never happens. Perhaps it's become a bit of a competition with myself to see how much farther I can get before I must start exercising again to break a plateau... Thoughts? Experiences? Etc.?

I will say it's become very interesting my outlook towards food. Especially working in a restaurant. What I used to deem moderately healthy I now know is laden with hundreds more calories than I would have previously expected. I do know that because my goal is taking a bit longer with less exercise I am laying the groundwork for more of a habit-forming lifestyle change in my eating habits than just "dieting" to lose the weight and then back to old tricks resulting in regaining what I worked so hard to lose. I don't know that "guilt" is the right word but even having a sandwich with lean turkey, whole wheat, mayo, cheese, and veggies is a splurge these days.

Cheers!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The only thing to be weary of by losing weight from diet alone with no strength training, a larger % of your loss will come from lean muscle vs. fat loss, this becomes more of an issue the less you have to lose, and/or are not getting enough protein, or your deficit is too large.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    The only thing to be weary of by losing weight from diet alone with no strength training, a larger % of your loss will come from lean muscle vs. fat loss, this becomes more of an issue the less you have to lose, and/or are not getting enough protein, or your deficit is too large.

This.. and "clean" doesn't matter if your in a deficit you will lose.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm more the opposite...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" won't cause weight loss. It doesn't matter if you're in a calorie deficit from eating less Twinkies or fewer lean organic chicken breasts. It's calories in/calories out regardless of where they come from as far as weight loss goes. You'll probably be healthier on a good balanced diet though!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    All that is important to losing weight is a calorie deficit. You don't need to do any exercise as at all so long as you maintain a calorie deficit in your diet...so no, this isn't exactly shocking. That said, neglecting your fitness is never a good idea...it is essential to your overall health and well being...and as others have stated, if you're not using your muscle, your body has no reason to retain that very expensive commodity while in a calorie deficit.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    If a sandwich "is a splurge these days," it may be a good idea to re-evaluate things. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to eliminate certain items from your intake. It is less stressful to not label foods as "clean", "dirty", "bad" or "good." A calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness. That is all.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You are joking about not exercising? Skinny people with no muscle tone look well skinny and skeletal.
  • She_Hulk
    Options
    Agreeing with the above responses! I lost a ton of weight just by reducing my calories alone. No exercise. That's why I joined a gym in May though. I wasn't very happy with the way I looked. I lost quite a bit of muscle. But, to answer your question, yes you can lose weight just being at a calorie deficit. Doesn't really matter what you're eating. Good luck!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If a sandwich "is a splurge these days," it may be a good idea to re-evaluate things. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no need to eliminate certain items from your intake. It is less stressful to not label foods as "clean", "dirty", "bad" or "good." A calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness. That is all.

Agreed. Considering that is exactly what I had for lunch just now (sandwich - whole wheat bread, turkey, cheese, carrots on the side) I'm not sure you're REALLY developing sustainable changes.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

^This is my general philosophy to dieting. There's nothing particularly wrong with eating clean if it makes you feel better. However, too many people do it because of bad information and hype.

The only label I'd personally put on that sandwich is "Lunch".
  • SouthernButt
    Options
    I think you missed the part about "planning to pick it back up again but haven't" or perhaps the eating clean portion freaked you out for some strange reason? I never said I was on the 17 Day Diet, or on Atkins. Let me clarify "eating clean" as it means in this situation: that means no processed breads full of stabilizers, HFCS, sugars, etc, no mayo, mustard instead, little cheese if not parmesan, no fried foods, no breaded foods, no white sugars or white flours, yadda yadda, yadda. If I do eat bread it's because it's made properly with whole ingredients. I don't hate bread, I just try to avoid processed flours most of the time. My diet consists of healthy lean proteins, leafy nutrient dense greens, low fat salad dressings made from my home grown herbs, fresh vegetables, hearty broth based soups, whole grains like quinoa and steel cut oats, protein powder fruit and veggie smoothies with coconut milk or almond milk. I eat a ton of superfoods, I eat whole ingredients and I try by and large to avoid processes foods, I don't drink sugary drinks and I pound water. I don't eat a ton of meat and when I do it's humanely raised and lean. There is nothing wrong with how I eat and I've learned a lot from my personal research. I just happen to choose to get my calories from whole foods while creating a calorie deficit unlike others and each to their own.

Who said anything about skinny fat? I didn't. YOU did.

My post was read by y'all as "I'm on the Master Cleanse and I refuse to exercise ever again." which is not what I said at all. The majority of you jumped all over me with your conclusions. Forgive me for not mentioning I understand how a calorie deficit works. Had I mentioned that I'm sure you would have been a bit less rude. Or not? With all the crazy **** I read on here by people far less educated than myself who receive a much more warm response I expected something a bit different-- such as an intelligent conversation. I was grossly mistaken.

I was looking for comradery via experience here (no one has ever gotten into a freaking rut?!?!), not an attack. There are plenty of other places for me to acquire the knowledge I seek personally elsewhere and I don't think I'll be sticking around much after this. Y'all have a good day.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think you missed the part about "planning to pick it back up again but haven't" or perhaps the eating clean portion freaked you out for some strange reason? I never said I was on the 17 Day Diet, or on Atkins. Let me clarify "eating clean" as it means in this situation: that means no processed breads full of stabilizers, HFCS, sugars, etc, no mayo, mustard instead, little cheese if not parmesan, no fried foods, no breaded foods, no white sugars or white flours, yadda yadda, yadda. If I do eat bread it's because it's made properly with whole ingredients. I don't hate bread, I just try to avoid processed flours most of the time. My diet consists of healthy lean proteins, leafy nutrient dense greens, low fat salad dressings made from my home grown herbs, fresh vegetables, hearty broth based soups, whole grains like quinoa and steel cut oats, protein powder fruit and veggie smoothies with coconut milk or almond milk. I eat a ton of superfoods, I eat whole ingredients and I try by and large to avoid processes foods, I don't drink sugary drinks and I pound water. I don't eat a ton of meat and when I do it's humanely raised and lean. There is nothing wrong with how I eat and I've learned a lot from my personal research. I just happen to choose to get my calories from whole foods while creating a calorie deficit unlike others and each to their own.

Who said anything about skinny fat? I didn't. YOU did.

My post was read by y'all as "I'm on the Master Cleanse and I refuse to exercise ever again." which is not what I said at all. The majority of you jumped all over me with your conclusions. Forgive me for not mentioning I understand how a calorie deficit works. Had I mentioned that I'm sure you would have been a bit less rude. Or not? With all the crazy **** I read on here by people far less educated than myself who receive a much more warm response I expected something a bit different-- such as an intelligent conversation. I was grossly mistaken.

I was looking for comradery via experience here (no one has ever gotten into a freaking rut?!?!), not an attack. There are plenty of other places for me to acquire the knowledge I seek personally elsewhere and I don't think I'll be sticking around much after this. Y'all have a good day.

It's a shame to lose (or is it "loose?") someone who can express themselves so well.
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think that according to your ticker you are doing fantastic....24lbs is awesome. Working in a restaurant and acquiring knowledge in itself of the foods around you can be a real eye opener. I owned a restaurant for years in California. I just retired and have started to reevaluate my health. Your right some people around here seem a "little off" but please don't leave because of a few. I would say that the majority of folks mean well. Maybe all you need is a rest from the exercise....give your brain some time off for good behavior. Only you can know when it's time to get back into it. Good luck with your continued success.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness and overall health. Calorie deficit (which you're still doing) is for weight loss. How one reaches calorie deficit doesn't really matter when it comes to food choice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition