overwelmed and need help starting

Options
tborek1
tborek1 Posts: 1
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello, I'm new here and just left weightwatchers. I lost 8 lbs a few months ago and lost interest in trying to figure out points so I stopped and gained the weight back...and then some. This has all made me very depressed as I had this vision of where I would be at the end of the summer and I am worse off. So I decided to join over here becuase it's free and I heard a lot of people like it better and find it easier. I have had my epiphany and know I need to make changes now. So how do I start? My profile says I need to eat 1200 calories a day. I don't eat salad and don't like raw veggies besides carrots so what are some low calorie foods? Are their good calories and bad? I'm a tad fuzzy on how this works. I work full time, do allergy shots twice a week, have three kids 5 and under and my oldest just entered school so we have homework every night. I am trying to figure out how to fit in exercising becasue I have an office job and I know this isn't good. When I am at home I don't feel the need to eat all the time but at work all i want to do is eat. It's extremely distracting becasue it keeps my mind focused on food and not work. How can I curb these cravings? I need to make some major life changes but just don't know how to start. I am 29 and need to lose about 80 lbs to be healthy. It seems like such a high number and unatainable so I need some encouragment. I'm sure everyone feels this way starting out.

Replies

• TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Your about to get flooded with advice. This would be my very first suggestion. I would recommend not changing a single habit except logging your food and water for a week. Don't even pay attention to how many calories you need/have. Learn how the site works and create the habit of documenting everything. (You bite it, you write it.) This will make every change you make going forward a little easier.

Welcome and good luck on your journey!!!
  • MissBellatrix
    Options
    Hi. I also experienced losing interest when I lost weight then it made me feel depressed when I gained weight... but as for now I am starting all over again... I'll add you. So we can motivate each other. :-)
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    A few tips from browsing your post would be:
    You'll need more than 1200 calories a day. Figure out your BMR and adjust your caloric intake from there.
    Use MFP as a tool to log your food/exercise. It helps you track calories coming in, which then gives you an idea of how much you should walk/excercise etc...

Welcome aboard, and good luck!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you like carrots, keep some carrots by you at work. I keep a bag of almonds to snack on because I need to chew and chew and chew them, and the flavor keeps me satisfied.

1200 calories is a bit low. Try to calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) based on your age, weight, height, lean body mass, and activity level. That's how many calories your body uses in a day. Then you can subtract 10-15% from that and use it as your *net* caloric goal. That's how many calories you eat after you subtract exercise calories. So if you burn 600 on a couch-to-5k session, and your goal is 1200, then you want to eat 1800 total for the day.

If you keep trying to snack throughout the day, keep some cold water by you and before you eat something, take a drink.
    If you have two minutes, walk around. If you have a private office and you have two minutes, do some push ups or crunches or something. There's a lot of ways to get fit.

There's a lot to know and figure out, but the important thing is to realize that you have time to learn it all. You didn't gain the 80lbs overnight, and you're not gonna lose it in a month. Take it day by day and make better choices.
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    With so much going on in your life, you should think about making one change at a time. That's how I got started. I focused on eating more healthy. I also did WW, but I was successful because I changed what the go to foods are for me. The food part is more important to losing weight than the exercise (at least at first). I don't like your typical salad either nor can I eat raw veggies. You do want to focus on how to get more veggies and protein into your diet. That's going to stop you from feeling too hungry all day (I doubt that you won't feel hungry at first ... I just learned to live with feeling mildly hungry all the time).

An example of a breakfast would be to have an egg, toast, and a piece of fruit (I usually have a banana). Mid-morning snack could be a handful of nuts. Lunch could be anything as long as it is portioned out and for me under 300 cal and a piece of fruit (whether it's a frozen meal or something you make at home). Late afternoon snack could be a yogurt and then whatever is left over you can have for calories for dinner. When I want to lose weight, I plan everything out Sunday so that it's easy for the rest of the week.

I use a lot of cooking light recipes, but you have to be careful about which recipes you pick as there are plenty of recipes that are just too many calories.

Also, starting to try new veggies and fruits also helps. I found out through my journey that I like roasting asparagus with leeks and I found a grain that I never heard of that makes a great salad (farro).

Drinking water and getting enough sleep also helps and tracking what you eat.

The cravings will go away once you start eating more protein, fruits and veggies. I can't not eat chocolate so I budget for a taste of it every day. And I really think about whether something is worth the calories whether or not I eat it.

GL!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Start with the basics...

1) Get your calories under control (eat a reasonable calorie intake).
    2) have a reasonable balance of fats, carbs and protein - no need to overly restrict any of them.
    3) get some exercise. Move around, break a sweat. Doesn't matter what you do just so long as you do something.

Get those things down then you can worry about the finer points.
  • DarleneMarie203
    DarleneMarie203 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi! And welcome! I too just started this yesterday and have done WW in the past. In 2001 I lost 55 pounds on WW but, since then have gained it all back and then some!
    I am also struggling to get started. I need to loose 65 pounds.
    Add me as a friend if you want too.
    I look forward to supporting you!
    :smile: :heart:
  • DarleneMarie203
    DarleneMarie203 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quotes that helps keep me going:

[/quote]When you feel like quitting: think about why you started
    :heart:
  • bestjuneever
    bestjuneever Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just recently started as well! The hardest thing about getting started is not giving up if you make a mistake or eat something you're not supposed to for a meal! Take it day by day and in no time a month will pass, and then two, and time will go by and before you know it, you're where you want to be. You can do it!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Here ya go.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable.
  • joannbrunton
    joannbrunton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Your about to get flooded with advice. This would be my very first suggestion. I would recommend not changing a single habit except logging your food and water for a week. Don't even pay attention to how many calories you need/have. Learn how the site works and create the habit of documenting everything. (You bite it, you write it.) This will make every change you make going forward a little easier.

• unamoss
    unamoss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hello, and congratulations for joining this site!!!

I agree wholeheartedly with those who say, just log in your stats for a week and see where you are at. With three little ones under the age of five I seriously doubt you engage in a sedentary lifestyle! Cut yourself some slack and pat yourself on the back for getting started!!!

When you ARE ready to log in and engage in "mindful" eating, here are a few tips that I have found helpful (some are left over from the days when I had little ones).

1. Have your OWN snack drawer. Keep it stocked with pre-portioned goodies in plastic bags. I'm particularly fond of wasabi roasted edamame. At 120 calories a 1/3 cup it satisfies that salty, crunchy potato chip type craving. Pre-packaging helps keep you from plowing through the entire bag of whatever you are enjoying. If you are still hungry, down a giant glass of water. It helps.

2. If you are doing homework with your little one, add in stretch breaks. I'm not kidding. Math used to drive my daughter nuts and she could only sit for so long. In between homework activities, put on a little music and stretch, run in place, wiggle and get out your sillies for a quick 5 minute break. Great for kids, great for you.

3. Tweek your diet. Honey, I'm as big as a house and old. It's going to be nearly impossible for me to loose the weight I want as quickly as I want. However, I've made some adjustments to HOW I eat and it matters. Switch out hi fiber "healthy" cereal for sugar coated kiddie crap. Hi fiber whole grain bread for white bread. Lite mayo for full mayo... etc.

4. The biggest help, and I'm sure I'm going to catch hell for it, is, GIVE UP DIET SODA. Honestly, that stuff made me CRAVE more food. I haven't had a diet Coke since last August. At first I wanted to rip the door off the hinges but it's so much easier to loose weight and be healthy without the chemicals. I can't explain it. All I know is when I would have a DC I would want to eat something with it... typically something crunchy and salty.

Best of luck to you and congratulations for stepping up to the plate for yourself and your kids!!! Stick with it! It's so worth it and you can do it!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This would be my very first suggestion. I would recommend not changing a single habit except logging your food and water for a week. Don't even pay attention to how many calories you need/have. Learn how the site works and create the habit of documenting everything. (You bite it, you write it.) This will make every change you make going forward a little easier.

^^ This is a great idea!!
  • kimc318
    kimc318 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I need to lose about 80 as well, plus I'm on insulin for diabetes which causes weight gain and weight retention. I've heard it's good to drink lots of water, which I don't at this point. Some years back though, there was a clock in our office that chimed and played music at the top of the hour. Everytime I heard that, I got up and drank 8 oz of water. That helped, something to jog my memory. Set a timer on your computer or phone. Walking at lunch is good exercise too, or playing with the kids outside in the evening for about 30 minutes. Make some crock pot meals to give you this time in the evening. Even if it's just 3 days a week. I am trying to start by making 1-2 changes a week so I won't feel so overwhelmed.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat raw veggies, throw some cooked ones in with your dinner.

1200 is going to be hard totally doable. I'm doing a week for 1500 to make up for a weekend in excess and I'm eating eggs/bacon for breakfast, random lunches ( sometimes tv dinners, I know I'm going to hell ) and a mean/protein with atleasta cup of veggies for dinner. I also have enough left over for a snack and some delicious coffee with raw honey.

You might want to set MFP after just plain tracking with no changes for a week to losing something low like .5 lb a week or 1 lb a week. If you set for 2lbs, it's very hard to start at.
  • semedina13
    Options
    Welcome! I have also done WW in the past and did well with it. I think everyone has given great advice but I would agree with others to take it one step at a time and be patient with yourself. I do not weigh myself often because it is such a slow progress, but I measure my inches (waist, arms, legs, bust, and hips) because that is where I see the progress better. I do this on a monthly basis. I also drink ALOT of water. It keeps me hydrated and feeling fuller. These are just ideas. Over time you'll find your "nitch" but patience is a virtue. Good Luck in your journey and we can be friends on here if you would like more motivation.
  • lornajweihan
    Options
    HI, I found your post inspiring. Why? Because you have a busy hectic life, but you are trying to improve yourself. You can do it!
    I also worked in office, snacked (from boredom) and found little time to exercise. BUT, the good news is you just have to make small changes to get things started.
    Take small portion snacks to work- grapes, crackers, cheese.... or even carrots... if they are on hand, you may not think about eating so much.. and WATER< WATER< WATER! Get some zero calorie flavorings to help out.

When ever I don't have time for a workout, I have stairs....20 minutes, up down on a single step (like step aerobics) a quick burner, which can be done between commercials...or homework....

Best of luck,
  • lornajweihan
    Options
    Awesome Advice!!!
  • NinjaFatBunny
    NinjaFatBunny Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting started and have well over 100 lbs to lose. Add me pls :smile:
This discussion has been closed.