Subway Problem (Help Needed)

Options

Replies

• Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've always felt that the Subway bread was too much relative to the nummy inside parts. If I get a deli meat footlong, I often will combine all the meaty goodness onto one half. It's often cheaper than asking for double meat on a 6"! Or, eat your sub using a fork and knife. It sounds weird, but eating a sandwich with utensils helps me think about what is actually going into my mouth, and I often grab less bread.

I suppose you could also eat/drink something prior to going so you're not super hungry for Subway food. Not sure how your wife would feel about that...some of us women might blow things out of proportion...

Finally, I heard of someone asking for the bread to be scooped out. So, instead of having the entire loaf, the fleshy inside was removed after slicing leaving ~1/4" thick bread wall. That eliminates about half of the loaf but you still may feel like you're having the whole thing. Not sure how the employee would react to that request. I've never tried it.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Is it just lettuce or is spinach also out? If not, then just omit lettuce and pack it full of other tasty stuff. They will probably mean-mug you over the counter for this :smile:

What? You want 10 OLIVES?! :noway:

lol...this is so true at my local Subway. As if putting on a few more cucumbers is gonna throw their whole day off or something
  • rmt5580
    Options
    Unless you're eating together at subway, I suggest getting something from somewhere else. She gets her sub, you get what whatever you want or can have from another restaurant, you eat at home together.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Subway promotes the "scooping" as part of their effort to attract diabetic consumers who must watch carbs. ALL Subways will do it for you.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Flatbread has as many carbs as white, which is the lowest of the breads. The wraps are 51 carbs and wheat English muffins 22.

My votes go for a salad without lettuce and/or get the sandwich you like and exchange the bread for a low carb tortilla at home.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    :smile: Its wierd but I actually rip off alot fo the bread when I eat subway, like the 1/2 inch on both ends that dont really have much middle stuff in them but is just bread, and if you look at the underside of the roll there is kinda a lip that is easy to pull off, sounds wierd but I think I rip off about 1/3 of the bread that way

I have also seen people ask for the bread scooped out, but just to be warned sometimes you get some really dumbstruck confused looks from the staff when you do that
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Chances are there's another fast food joint nearby. Stop and get Subway for your wife and then go somewhere else for yourself. It's inconvenient...is it worth it?
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Can't you just turn any subway sub into a salad? Or save your carbs? If it weren't for freakin Subway and Taco Bell I'd have failed at my diet, they are my go-to places when I can't ( won't ) cook.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Pick up something else after you swing by Subway.

Yeah I'm with you, but I eat over 400 grams of carbs a day so I don't understand the concept of low carbs... lol that being said you have 2 choices since it is only once or twice a week and it is one meal out of your day just enjoy the sub (flatbread has less carbs then most of the other choices) or pick your wife's sub up and stop somewhere else and get something you can eat.... Best of Luck
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Is it just lettuce or is spinach also out? If not, then just omit lettuce and pack it full of other tasty stuff. They will probably mean-mug you over the counter for this :smile:

lol...this is so true at my local Subway. As if putting on a few more cucumbers is gonna throw their whole day off or something

The dirty looks I get when I refuse cheese and any sort of sauce.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Agree with what others said... and FYI the flatbreads aren't a lower carb option. They just have just as much as the breads
  • karmabear06
    karmabear06 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I saw a few comments along the way that suggested it, but go for the spinach it's better for you anyway. Any sub can be created into a salad instead of a sub and you can get it with spinach instead of lettuce. I would double check Subway.com for carb info on the flatbread. I don't have any special dietary needs or restrictions but I do ask for the bread to be pulled to save calories. I always order heavy spinach and all my favorite veggies depending on my sub choice. I love Subway though and could eat it everyday if I could. Just my thoughts....
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I understand that olives are one of the priciest toppings for them.

OP - just go with the spinach salad like others have suggested.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town. Subway is the only option, outside of McDonald's and Taco John's.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    You could let your wife eat the Subway and you could make your own meal at home.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You could let your wife eat the Subway and you could make your own meal at home.

Or perhaps she can go to HIS favorite place and watch HIM eat.

You know, sorta like what you're saying he should do for her.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town. Subway is the only option, outside of McDonald's and Taco John's.

Another poster suggested asking them to scoop out most of the bread, which would also work. I suppose it makes counting more difficult though.

ETA: Take a look at the McDouble's macro breakdown. I eat them once in a while.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

I understand that olives are one of the priciest toppings for them.

OP - just go with the spinach salad like others have suggested.

True. My sister dated a guy who's family owned a subway or however that franchise BS works. He said that if everyone ordered lots of olives on their sandwich everytime, Subway would go under.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My wife loves Subway, so we eat it once overy week or 2, if not more.

I have to issues. All the carbs. I'm not on Atkins! But I am on a lower carb eating plan to shed some weight. My 2nd issue, due to a stomach issue, I can not process lettuce. So salads are out.

So you can see my dillema. The sandwichs are SO CARBY.

Any idea on how to curtail? Thanks!

PS.....I usually get a foot long to avoid the pull of chips, etc. Plus I'm a big guy, I need my food!
    Do you eat there or take it home? I have never actually eaten inside a Subway.

Maybe let your wife have her Subway and you get something else?
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Seriously?

No one has mentioned the black forest ham yet?

Ok!!