Converting Slow Cooker Recipes to Dutch Oven

niklong
niklong Posts: 49 Member
I have a few slow cooker recipes I'd like to try in our Dutch Oven while camping. Does anyone know how to make that conversion (time/temp)?

Replies

• Mudbug66
    Mudbug66 Posts: 5 Member
    Wish I had the link but have seen calculations for the number of brickets used to give a rough Temp for your Dutch Oven. If i find the link will post for you.
  • niklong
    I did a google search, but didn't find what I was looking for.
  • niklong
    crista_b: That's the site I found too. But the kind of dutch oven cooking I'm talking about is without electricity. The dutch oven has three legs and a flat lid and you put hot coals under it and on top of it to cook the food inside. But thanks for helping out :-)
  • niklong
    Mudbug66: Thanks for that chart. I printed cuz it is helpful. But most slow cooker recipes just say cook on high or low for __ hours. Thanks for the help though. I'll keep looking :-)
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    What about combining those 2 charts that were posted? The one in the link I posted says how long and what temp to cook in a dutch oven based on the slow cooker recipe's "__ hours on low (or high)", then the chart that mudbug posted shows how to use briquettes to achieve the right slow cooker temps.

Example: You have a 10" dutch oven, and the slow cooker recipe says 2 hours on high, so you look at the chart in the link I posted that converts it to 1 hour @ 325 in the dutch oven. Then you can look in mudbug's chart to see that you need 13 briquettes on top and 6 on the bottom for your dutch oven to be at 325.