Lose fat, but not gain muscle

goldenevence
goldenevence Posts: 1
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all! Just a quick bio of me: I'm 18, 5'10 and 153 lbs (and a college student :) ) I've been running around 3 miles 5-6 times a week since the end of July and I'll I've noticed is that I've put on tons of muscle. This, to me, is not very attractive as I look way bulkier than I did before I ever started exercising. Before, I was slim and weighed about 10 lbs less. Now, I feel as though I look like a dude :/ . So! My question is how I can maybe lose some fat and a bit of muscle so I can get that toned and slim look? Perhaps I shouldn't be running 3 miles uphill half the way or change it up and just work out on an elliptical or walk. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

And my apologies in advanced if this question has already been posed!

Replies

• IngeS18
    IngeS18 Posts: 36
    Now I'm not an expert on this, but running is very intense work-out (especially up hill). So if you are looking for toning and not muscle building then running isn't the best choice.
    I'd go for Yoga or a similar sport that works more towards toning your muscles instead of building them up intensily.
  • Lithuria
    Lithuria Posts: 132
    I can't really comment on loosing muscle but Pilates is great for a slimline but toned look, many dancers use it to keep limber but strong
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    actually running is probably one of the best exercises you can do. It is very difficult to put muscle on while in a caloric deficit and you would have to lift pretty heavy weights to accomplish this. Muscle takes months to build and is a slow process. If you want to lose fat and muscle keep your body in a caloric deficit and keep running, maybe run longer distances at a slower pace, 3 miles is not that long try to work up to 6 to 10.

Have you ever seen a muscular marathon runner? I don't think they exist as running does burn off muscle if you don't eat more calories than you burn.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    I'm actually thinking you need to watch your calorie intake. Always running 3 miles 5 or 6 times a week is also a problem. Your body is used to it and has become more efficient with the run. Also, 3 miles is 30 of cardio or less, you don't really get into the fat burn until after about 20 minutes of cardio.

Change up your workouts. You can still run, but some days run 5 and some days run 2 and then walk the third one and then on some days do intervals. I rotate my runs with classes at my gym. I take Kickboxing and a Strength Training/Aerobics class. If you don't belong to a gym, you can get your hands on some DVD's and do alternate workouts at home.
  • msmm6
    msmm6 Posts: 5 Member
    Running is not a sport that is going to put visible muscle on you after a few weeks - especially your upper body. Maybe your 10 pound weight gain has made things confusing. If you want to tone up your body, look at the college (your age group) athletes that have the body type you are looking for and try to develop a program that emulates their workout routine.

If I were 18 (don't I wish :)), I would try to get into a swim program that had an instructor. I don't know of any better total body and cardio workout. It is something you can do year round for the rest of your life.

Oh, and congratulations for having your priorities in order. It takes tons of people many more years.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but at 5'10" 153, you probably don't have THAT much to lose anyway. So maybe the muscle you're "building" is muscle that was under that thin layer of fat all along, but that is getting stronger (and perhaps denser). I do agree that slowing down and going longer will help lean you out. But it's also very possible that you've got a little bit larger frame and larger musculature. That's not a bad thing. It means that you probably have a pretty cool family tree, to have developed that kind of evolution in your build. (I come from Native Americans and farmers and have the same build, but shorter, I've accepted it as something cool about myself).

Keep working on the distance, and maybe start drinking different beers at school. Watch your nutrient intake as well as your calorie intake, cut down on sugars some, and I bet you'll start to see a change. And search the community here - you'll probably find a thousand ideas there :smile:

Good luck, and welcome!! :flowerforyou: And as always - feel free to friend any/all of us, we're all here to help each other!
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Erickirb is right - the best way to lose muscle is to run long distances for longer amounts of time. Cardio uses the glycogen stored in your muscles as energy to power you through your run, leading to decrease in muscle mass (as well as fat), but this is most effective when applied to long distance runners, whereas sprinters use more muscles in their glutes and legs to run faster, for shorter amounts of time, leading to muscle build.

Also make sure you're getting enough water as well. You could be bloated..
This discussion has been closed.