how much gym is to much

Options
so I have been going to the gym in the morning early before work and using the treadmill or elliptical.
then going back at night for either zumba or treadmill again
I cant use weights now. because of an injury and I will be having Surgery in November.
So is that to much cardio?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting enough cals to support it and enough sleep to recover, you should be fine.
  • krisha36
    Options
    im just worried I may have to many calories left over in a day... sleep that isn't a prob.. LOL
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting enough cals to support it and enough sleep to recover, you should be fine.

Yup as long as your eating correctly.. (1200 for 2 hrs of cardio is not enough if that is what you eat).. Just remember doing more cardio doesn't mean you lose weight faster... don't expect that.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I used to weight train in the morning, then after work go for my cardio session. You are fine.
  • FitCurlysue
    FitCurlysue Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think the question is, why do you feel the need to do cardio twice a day?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think it's a lot of cardio. There's an optimal amount that your body can take each day, anything above that isnt very effective.

If one workout was weights and the other cardio, then that's better. But what are you hopoing to acheive by doing so much?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to workout twice?
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Excess cardio can be counterproductive if your goal is recomposition.
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've read that working out to much can be counter productive. Your body releases the stress hormone cordisol which basically eats muscle. Are you going 2x a day because you like Zumba? If that's the case, then I would just make sure you eat enough calories and nap sometime during the day if you can. But if you're doing it to lose weight, I don't think it's going to make a difference. Just go one time a day and do high interval training and workout HARD. :)
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but in terms of upkeep it seems unlikely you'll keep up that workload for the rest of your life. Try to cut it down to one workout and up the intensity.
    If you go full throttle the first time around, you'll be too tired to go another round.
  • MrsH2132012
    MrsH2132012 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Yup as long as your eating correctly.. (1200 for 2 hrs of cardio is not enough if that is what you eat).. Just remember doing more cardio doesn't mean you lose weight faster... don't expect that.

This!

&& no wiehgts but can you do HIIT? I would cut that morning session to a HIIT *imo, I am a former cardio queen that now hates long steady state cardio :) *
  • bcorbin34
    bcorbin34 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with working out twice in one day, just make sure your fueling your body. You have to eat your extra calories, the calorie goal they give you on here already lowered to help you loose weight. Not sure what you are eating, but going high protien might help to build up your muscle for all those workouts, which will help you tone up.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've read that in terms of cardio, it's better to go "longer" than "harder" --- that given the choice between working more intensely and for a longer time, the longer time is actually more of a benefit.

Not true?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've read that in terms of cardio, it's better to go "longer" than "harder" --- that given the choice between working more intensely and for a longer time, the longer time is actually more of a benefit.

Not true?

It's not that simple. In some cases, yes it's definitely true. In others, it's definitely not. It really comes down to what exactly you're trying to accomplish with the exercise.
  • MrsH2132012
    Options

Not true?

I love this site for info: http://www.simplyshredded.com/cardio-for-fat-loss-high-intensity-interval-training-cardio-vs-low-intensity-steady-state-cardio.html
  • krisha36
    Options
    1- I love zumba
    2- no weights because of Wrist, hand and nerve damage not allowed to - hence Surgery In November.
    3- I Am up early every day, so I go to gym, and sometimes I am bored at night
  • MrsH2132012
    Options
    Good luck with the wrist I can't imagen :(

I think you have to do what makes you havppy but if you have specific goals in mind I would focus your routine around them :) No need to ive up Zumba if you love it
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    If you're not feeling burned out and you like your current gym routine there's no issue in doing a double cardio session. Just make sure you're eating enough.