Questions about weight loss with Adrenal Fatigue

Options

Replies

• karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Chrissy, your story is basically my story so I won't elaborate too much. I've been being treated for adrenal fatigue for 3 yrs. My doc is a "real" doc who also deals in "alternative" medicine. I was basically bedridden and could hardly function at all because my cortisol levels were so low. Adrenal Fatigue is most definitely real and I was glad to see your post. I wish you all the best in your recovery.

@ Gareth - Not to be rude, but I really think you should save your strong opinions for something that you personally know about, which obviously is not adrenal fatigue.
  • GarethLosing
    Options
    I do know about it - as much as a person can know about something that isn't real.

I do also have 'strong opinions' - because seeing people being ripped off and mislead enrages me - it's unfair on them and it could actually cause them health problems.

I don't think you are a shill for the industry - I imagine you are just someone who has been taken in by these swindlers and is now, unfortunately, trying to convince others to follow you down the rabbit hole. Please, look at the evidence (not just that given to you by these scam artists and related sites - look up the real scientific evaluation of this stuff) and think long and hard before you try and get others to fall for the scam as well.

The reality is that adrenal fatigue is the horoscope of diseases. Just as horoscopes give vague and common descriptions of personality and experiences, so that they apply to everyone, the symptoms of adrenal fatigue are just a list of things commonly caused by other diseases and just by everyday life for a busy person. It is designed so that lots of people will look at a list of symptoms and believe they have it, so supplements can be sold to them.

I also greatly urge anyone who would say that modern medicine or the scientific method misses things to reconsider. The scientific method has been developed over a long period of time to produce provable, repeatable results. We use it because it works. Modern medicine works on the basis that if we claim something, we must back it up with evidence that supports it. We must show that our claims are valid. We use it because it works. Please don't believe the scam artists.

Also, if you want to say that I am wrong, please show me a peer-reviewed paper that documents the cause and details adrenal fatigue, along with a placebo-controlled study showing the treatment works - that is the minimum level of evidence needed for medicine to be real - because anything else simply means that it doesn't work.

http://www.hormone.org/hormones-and-health/myth-vs-fact/adrenal-fatigue

A few extracts:

“Adrenal fatigue” is not a real medical condition. There are no scientific facts to support the theory that long-term mental, emotional, or physical stress drains the adrenal glands and causes many common symptoms.

Supplements and vitamins made to “treat” adrenal fatigue may not be safe. Taking these supplements when you don’t need them can cause your adrenal glands to stop working and may put your life in danger.

Doctors urge you not to waste precious time accepting an unproven diagnosis such as “adrenal fatigue” if you feel tired, weak, or depressed. If you have these symptoms, you may have adrenal insufficiency, depression, obstructive sleep apnea, or other health problems. Getting a real diagnosis is very important to help you feel better and overcome your health problem.
  • clare2403
    clare2403 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    These replies frustrate me on so many levels. I am suffering from adrenal fatigue and it is a real condition. I was diagnosed by a fully qualified MD/GP (depending on where you're from) who went through medical school like every other doctor out there but who also complements this traditional training with non-traditional therapies where he sees a failing in western medicine. He is not a witch doctor, he is an open-minded doctor and a doctor that has managed to transform the life of my mother and myself beyond recognition. I was diagnosed through cortisol tests, amongst other things. This doctor 100% believes in the brilliance that is western medicine, however, he also sees its limits and seeks to address them.

The reason why adrenal fatigue is not recognised by western medicine is because it is not taught at medical school (so why would your average doctor diagnose you with something they have probably never heard of?) however research will show you that adrenal fatigue was well documented in traditional medical literature before the 1950s, aka, before the medical industry became driven by giant pharmaceutical companies. The remedy for adrenal fatigue is not profitable and therefore not worthwhile. Rest, better diet, melatonin/dhea supplements, vit c, some herbs etc etc don't really bring in the big bucks. Yes, some people may market 'adrenal tablets' and stuff out there but the profits and scale is really laughable. I say give it 10-15 years and this condition will be a lot more widely recognised by regular MD/GPs.

Best of luck with your weight loss! My understanding is that exercise is great for you while trying to give your adrenals a chance to recover but remember to listen to your body and not push yourself too far. I agree with the comments suggesting it could be related to your thyroid. My thyroid was ****ed up a bit from my adrenal problems but has since normalised. Perhaps get that tested? You could be low in iodine too - but make sure you test that before adding extra iodine into your diet! Too much can be as bad as too little.
  • karen0214
    Options
    @ Clare - You have explained adrenal fatigue very well, so I will not write all about it as I had planned. You are exactly right in the things you've said and hopefully more doctors will begin to understand Adrenal Fatigue in a deeper way in the near future. It sounds like you have a great doctor who truly understands and who is helping you to recover. I also am blessed with a very good doctor who has been priceless in my recovery process. I hope that you continue to get better.
  • karen0214
    Options
    @ GarethLosing - I'm sorry, but I must disagree with all that you've said. Sadly, I know firsthand about Adrenal Fatigue because I have been living with it for 10 yrs. now and being treated for it for 3 yrs. As I stated in my previous post, I did get diagnosed by a REAL doctor. She is a D.O., which has the same training as an M.D., except D.O.'s actually receive extra training in the musculoskeletal system, which make up the muscles and bones of a person. So, my doctor tested my adrenals and thyroid and I have had major issues with both. She is treating both. I am on prescription medication for both. My adrenal function was so low that I almost could not function; therefore I have been on cortisol replacement for the last 3 yrs while my adrenals heal. I am getting better slowly but surely.

I suppose Adrenal Fatigue might be the precursor to Addison's Disease where the adrenals just totally stop functioning. It seems that the typical doctor out there will not test for this until there is actually a reason to suspect actual Addison's Disease. That's too bad because so many people could be helped before totally hitting the rock bottom of total adrenal failure or adrenal insufficiency as you called it, which I suppose is Addison's Disease.

I did read the article at the link you posted. I agree that many people might think they have adrenal fatigue based on a list of symptoms and trying to treat something without knowing could be unproductive. However, the article is wrong in that there are actually tests for adrenal function, which is what my doctor did for me and how she came up with a treatment plan. The OP said that the Naturopath wanted to do testing on her, but she didn't have the money. I'm not sure what testing the Naturopath would have done since he/she is not a doctor, but at least some kind of testing was going to be involved. So the OP decided on her own to go out and purchase a supplement for adrenal fatigue. Thankfully, she seems to have responded well and she is working out, having some energy, and not needing naps. Personally, I believe that many physical issues that people have are coming from adrenal fatigue but they just don't know it. I have read many articles where it is believed that Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia result from Adrenal Fatigue. You may not agree, and that's fine, but those articles are no different than the one that you posted. I will not post a placebo controlled study because I do not have the time to search for all of that. It may or may not exist, but it doesn't matter to me and it probably doesn't matter to anyone else on this forum who knows that they have Adrenal Fatigue. I do respect your opinion, but it is just that, an opinion
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Adrenal fatigue is NOT a recognized disease. Some doctors (MDs) may have used the phrase while explaining your condition, just to make it simpler, but it is NOT a recognized disease. Adrenal insufficiency and Addison's disease are REAL conditions. Anyone else who has "adrenal fatigued" is just really, really stressed.

I was also having a hard time with low energy and lethargy, strangly enough also following surgery to remove a cyst. At first my doctors just assumed it was because I was very iron deficient, but when the iron pills didn't work, I got told maybe I was just depressed (I was not!), then maybe Chronic Fatigue Syndrom (which is also controversial) and finally, I had my cortisol levels tested. Three times! It turns out my cortisol was super high, though I don't have Cushing's, I probably have/had pseudo-cushings from an illness, probably an infection I had even before my surgery.

Anyway, you may never know what is causing your fatigue, I'll never know for sure, but Adrenal Fatigue is not a real thing. I suggest getting your cortisol and thyroid checked.

Also, I'm not against naturopath, in Canada it's very regulated, and every alternative medicine practitioner I've seen has always been realistic about their limitations and encouraged me to continue seeing conventional doctors. It may not be so regulated where you live, and this "naturopath" may not have any qualifications. I'd be careful. Always do research on what you told from ANY doctor, using reputable websites ONLY.

An article from the freakin MAYO CLINIC:
    Question

Adrenal fatigue: What causes it?
    Is there such a thing as adrenal fatigue?

Answer
    from Todd B. Nippoldt, M.D.

Adrenal fatigue is a term applied to a collection of nonspecific symptoms, such as body aches, fatigue, nervousness, sleep disturbances and digestive problems. The term often shows up in popular health books and on alternative medicine websites, but it isn't an accepted medical diagnosis.

Your adrenal glands produce a variety of hormones that are essential to life. The medical term adrenal insufficiency, or Addison's disease, refers to inadequate production of one or more of these hormones as a result of an underlying disease.

Signs and symptoms of adrenal insufficiency include:

Fatigue
    Body aches
    Unexplained weight loss
    Low blood pressure
    Lightheadedness
    Loss of body hair
    Adrenal insufficiency can be diagnosed by blood tests and special stimulation tests that show inadequate levels of adrenal hormones.

Proponents of the adrenal fatigue diagnosis claim this is a mild form of adrenal insufficiency caused by chronic stress. The unproven theory behind adrenal fatigue is that your adrenal glands are unable to keep pace with the demands of perpetual fight-or-flight arousal. As a result, they can't produce quite enough of the hormones you need to feel good. Existing blood tests, according to this theory, aren't sensitive enough to detect such a small decline in adrenal function — but your body is.

It's frustrating to have persistent symptoms your doctor can't readily explain. But accepting a medically unrecognized diagnosis from an unqualified practitioner could be worse. Unproven remedies for so-called adrenal fatigue may leave you feeling sicker, while the real cause — such as depression or fibromyalgia — continues to take its toll.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/adrenal-fatigue/AN01583

See, some doctors may use the term, but officially, it is NOT a recognized disease. There is NOT enough evidence.
  • ppdes
    ppdes Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I will ask you one question - are your periods regular? Since you have had a cyst removed, I thought of asking this. I recently came across a podcast which mentioned that irregular periods may happen because progesterone is not produced in sufficient amounts. The reason why this happens is because of pituitary/adrenal fatigue which happens due to various reasons including stress. Pregnenolone is a hormone that is precursor hormone to all hormones in body which also manufactures progesterone and cortisol. It is being said that if a woman is under a lot of stress either mental or physical for long and continuous periods, it can lead to redirecting pregnenolone towards producing cortisol - so less is left for progesterone production. As a result, its not sufficient to regulate your monthly cycle / timely. Which may lead to development of cysts.
    So if they are irregular, it was advised that you approach an endocrinologist rather than a gynecologist/ob and check for these hormones including adrenaline (because it is the pituitary/adrenaline gland that is principally incharge of hormonal balance). It was advised that female hormones don't go out of whack since they are generated by some other processes and hormones.

I am not sure how this can help you directly, but I thought it could be relevant, especially with the fact of cyst that you mentioned.
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    i wasn't officially diagnosed with it, but did learn about it via some very real MDs, as in medical doctors, who also happen to be well educated in nutrition as well. i didn't have to buy anything from them, or pay them for anything. i learned what they had to teach, and then took their advice on how to treat/ reverse/ avoid it ( whatever word you would chose). from what i could tell, most of the treatments were NOT expensive, and didn't put any money in the doctor's pockets or big drug's. ie. not buying tons of prescription meds at hundreds of dollars per month.

one of the easiest and least expensive things they offered as an treatment, was lowering stress. they suggested i do this by knocking off the crazy intense work outs, getting more sleep, taking slow leisure walks of several miles EVERY DAY. taking naps, sitting down ( not something i am prone to do during the day). as you can tell, most of that is free.

the second step, was to address dietary issues. again, food is something you normally buy anyway, but WHAT you eat is the key!!

the last step was to add supplements if you find you need them. this process isn't done over night and it's not fixed over night either.

i started in august 2012. i did the lowering my stress first. then i added supplements and in january 2013, i addressed my diet and started working out again. by working out again i mean i mainly just walked a whole lot!!! miles and miles at nothing greater than a 3.0 pace every day. it's been almost a year now, and i have to be very aware of my stress levels, how much sleep i get, how much down time i get, and what i eat. it's like a teeter toter....... a precarious balancing act.

so, people can believe that something like adrenal fatigue doesn't exist, but the doctors i worked with would disagree with them. and they BOTH have MD after their names ;-)

i am hopeful to never be where i was prior to aug 2012. my profile picture is a before and after. july 2012 to july 2013. i have finally started losing weight, and changing my shape. it's VERY slow going, but at least i have it figured out now and know what i need to do.

ETA: my periods were a MESS! i'd go from not having them. to having one and then practically hemorrhaging starting on day 10 of a cycle. i couldn't touch hormonal BC to save my life! within 6 mo of starting my new health measures, my cycles returned back to clock work. 28-30 days. my horrid cramping and spotting and break through bleeding and everything else, gone.
  • GarethLosing
    Options
    These replies frustrate me on so many levels. I am suffering from adrenal fatigue and it is a real condition. I was diagnosed by a fully qualified MD/GP (depending on where you're from) who went through medical school like every other doctor out there but who also complements this traditional training with non-traditional therapies where he sees a failing in western medicine. He is not a witch doctor, he is an open-minded doctor and a doctor that has managed to transform the life of my mother and myself beyond recognition. I was diagnosed through cortisol tests, amongst other things. This doctor 100% believes in the brilliance that is western medicine, however, he also sees its limits and seeks to address them.

The reason why adrenal fatigue is not recognised by western medicine is because it is not taught at medical school (so why would your average doctor diagnose you with something they have probably never heard of?) however research will show you that adrenal fatigue was well documented in traditional medical literature before the 1950s, aka, before the medical industry became driven by giant pharmaceutical companies. The remedy for adrenal fatigue is not profitable and therefore not worthwhile. Rest, better diet, melatonin/dhea supplements, vit c, some herbs etc etc don't really bring in the big bucks. Yes, some people may market 'adrenal tablets' and stuff out there but the profits and scale is really laughable. I say give it 10-15 years and this condition will be a lot more widely recognised by regular MD/GPs.

Best of luck with your weight loss! My understanding is that exercise is great for you while trying to give your adrenals a chance to recover but remember to listen to your body and not push yourself too far. I agree with the comments suggesting it could be related to your thyroid. My thyroid was ****ed up a bit from my adrenal problems but has since normalised. Perhaps get that tested? You could be low in iodine too - but make sure you test that before adding extra iodine into your diet! Too much can be as bad as too little.

Unfortunately, some trained doctors can be scam artists or tricked themselves - people are fallible.

It all comes down to the matter of evidence and proof - there is no evidence of adrenal fatigue existing. The tests you talk of only show it based on what these people are telling you - it is not proof that you have anything. If adrenal fatigue was a real thing, studies would have been done which show it's existence - all studies have shown no evidence of such a thing. I can ask for a swab of your cheek, take some blood or ask you to spit in a test tube and then claim you have something. There is no scientific backing for such tests. A cortisol test tells you nothing - depending on when you do it the levels will naturally vary, so they could choose a time to make the result low or high, and there is no proof that such a test showing anything other than complete failure of the adrenal glands means anything at all.

Again, 'non-traditional therapies' - ask yourself why they are 'non-traditional' - medicine is not about tradition, it is about what works. If a therapy works it is medicine. If it has to have another label applied it isn't. They use the terms to skirt around the fact that these things are provably no more effective than a placebo - meaning they do nothing.

As to "it's not taught in medical school, therefore they don't know about it" - that statement shows a clear misunderstanding of how a medical professional (hell, any professional in any field) functions. People do not become a doctor and then just stop - they continue to read papers, practice new treatments, attend courses and lectures by others, and do their own research. The idea that doctors would not know about a disease because it is new is just crazy - their job is to keep up-to-date and be able to treat people regardless of how long we have known about a disease.

Most doctors will have heard of 'adrenal fatigue' - and they will tell you it's rubbish. It's a scam, being sold to you by either scam artists, or people tricked themselves. It's not unknown, it's rejected as the clear fabrication that it is. Again, the idea that it isn't profitable, therefore it isn't diagnosed or treated is insane - despite what many believe, nearly all Doctors want to help people, and any disease with a treatment that works is profitable - the margins might be low on some things, but that's hardly new. Paracetamol may have tiny margins, but places still sell it.

You think it is working - I can understand why you would defend it, but approach it with a clear mind, and ask yourself if you are being scammed - you are, and the people being scammed can never see that. I know it sucks, but the sooner you realise that the better it will be.
  • chrissys74
    Options
    LOL!! I do not go to a scam artist. I go to actual MD. He is one of the top doctors in our state and one of the most reputable doctors in the country. The practice I go to works closely with Duke University. So, I respect your opinion but I am going to stick to with the top research doctors in the country have to say and they absolutely recognize adrenal fatigue. It is nothing more then low cortisol levels and if it gets to low you can go into adrenal insufficiency. I am not sure why this is even an argument. If you don't believe it to be true. Why care??
    Richard Shames is one of the top hormonal MDs (he graduated from Harvard University) and here is what he has to say:

http://thyroid.about.com/b/2010/11/03/richard-shames-adrenal-fatigue.htm

I have studied and researched this topic, I have talked to leading experts at Duke University and I will for sure listen to them over someone who is on my fitness pal that read a couple articles. :)

No offense, I am being serious. I actually REALLY know what I am talking about.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so I can't take a look. How are you eating? Back when I was a 1,200 calorie eater I found that I had many of the symptoms of adrenal fatigue. I started eating better and suddenly I started feeling better too.

http://gokaleo.com/2013/01/25/adrenal-fatigue-as-a-cover-for-starvation/
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've recently been reading more about adrenal fatigue. Like others, I experience many of the symptoms. I would rather treat them at the source that take a pill for each one, although I know not everyone feels this way.

It is interesting to hear people say it doesn't exist. In the 80s you heard the same thing about fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, both of which are now treatable. Medicine is a fluid science, and constantly changing.

I think naturopaths (who ARE doctors) and doctors are like any other profession - some are good, and some are bad. Naturopaths are not the only ones who dispense supplements that may or may not help. Doctors do the same with drugs. Medicine is not an exact science and calls for intuition and intelligence, whether you are a traditional or alternative practitioner.

I understand that one can have a lot of relief from adrenal fatigue without a ton of supplements; dietary changes can be very powerful. And none of the dietary changes seem dire - no sugar, no caffeine, no manuafactured food. Not easy, but nothing there that will do any damage.
  • inukshuk1960
    inukshuk1960 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I disagree with it being garbage...
    Adrenal fatigue is real. I was testing and found to have cortisol levels at or higher in the afternoon than the morning. My adrenals don't turn off or ramp down in the evening like they should. As a result I have seen other issues like low WBC count because my body has been run down with high cortisol levels. But the biggest thing is no energy and inability to lose weight. I have been vegetarian since I was 16 (a long time) and have been vegan for 8 months and cannot lose weight....my naturopath said I won't lose until my adrenals start functioning properly...so for now I am vegan, I eat clean and workout when I have the energy.
    I would agree that the diagnosis of AF is a panacea that websites go to when you can't lose weight. Their way of promoting suppliments you do not need.
    If you can't afford a naturopath then just get plenty of rest and eat clean...watch out for quacks....and internet advice
    Hope that helps
  • gg177
    gg177 Posts: 35
    Options
    -
  • clairehubling
    Options
    Don't mess around. My husband had similar symptoms in 1999 and was diagnosed with Addison's Disease, or adrenal failure. It is very serious and fatal if left untreated. He now takes daily meds and leads a normal life, though is very tired by the end of the day. In his case his weight fell off without trying. Regardless of weight, please get the adrenal challenge test done. It can save your life.
  • gg177
    gg177 Posts: 35
    Options
    To all the posters here who deny adrenal fatigue, I wonder what your qualifications are? My doctor is an MD that went to Cornell, and a Naturopath, and an acupuncturist. I have had extensive bloodwork/saliva testing done, on multiple occasions, to test against different circumstances. Now, I have also consulted with other doctors who say they are seeing this condition more and more. So we are supposed to listen to a couple of strangely oppositional posters on a forum board, rather than our doctors? What makes you such experts? I have felt exhausted for years, can't sleep, have an amazingly hard time losing weight, anxious, quick to anger, joint pain, etc....Since I have been seeing my doctor, I have begun to recuperate, and without buying any products from my Dr. They aren't out to make a buck, they are there to help, unlike all you posters who think you know what is going on. Why such anger? If we have all gone through testing, and are now finally feeling like we have the energy to go through life, why are you so against it? Do you work for the pharmaceutical industry? Have stock in prozac? If none of us here are looking for your "help" then please stop posting here
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    Not sure what you are trying to say. I was diagnosed from a true MD. Actually one of the best in the area and he has helps hundreds of people with thyroid disease, adrenal fatigue and hormone issues. Before I was diagnosed I had to get on Prozac because my depression and anxiety was so bad I was scared to leave the house, I had major panic attacks and I could not get out of bed.

After seeing my doctor, I am totally off Prozac, zero depression and zero anxiety.

Chronic stress causes the adrenals to fail putting you into adrenal fatigue and if not treated eventually adrenal insufficiency. Everyone one is different but I had zero medical conditions. I mean nothing at all and Adrenal fatigue came on from chronic stress.

This, I had the same issue. Stress from my job and not getting enough "good" sleep caused my cortisol levels to be all out of whack. I was exhausted in the evenings and barely losing weight despite exercising and maintaining a caloric deficit. I immediately started with getting better sleep. I used herbal remedies to help me sleep and aimed for 8 hrs a night. My job, I really cant do anything about unless I get another job, I just need to learn how to deal with the stress better. :/
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    Options
    I like how the OP asks about weight loss with AF and people feel the need to pipe in and give their opinion that it's not real. That's not what this post was about.

Anyways, I just did a search because I have adrenal fatigue and thyroid issues and of course that's impacting my weight loss journey. I'd love support, but I'm going to start another thread where dissenters are not welcome!
  • Waterlogged59
    Waterlogged59 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with extreme adrenal burnout and have been working with someone who specializes in functional medicine. The difference has been night and day. I feel like I'm getting my life back after struggling for years with horrific joint pain, inability to sleep (tired and WIRED), hot flashes and extreme exhaustion to the point of spending a good part of my day in bed.

Of course, my allopathic doc is clueless about all of this. She told me that it was just "aging" (I'm 54) and finally sent me to a orthopedist for the hip pain. All she could do was suggest was that I would need a double hip replacement in a couple of years.

Through trial and error, I found out that the joint pain is caused by multiple food sensitivities brought on by the cascade effect of the adrenal issue. Avoiding those foods brings the pain down from a level of 100 to about a 15.

I also take different natural supplements which support my adrenals and thyroid and they have made an enormous difference for me.

Anyone who is researching, questioning and seeking help for health issues that aren't being properly addressed shouldn't be put off by naysayers who think mainstream medicine has all the answers.
  • GinFit
    GinFit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had some very frustrating experiences with medical doctors who seem to know nothing at all about adrenal issues. I even had one doctor that told me he'd have to google it..... Really?
    I've been dealing with low adrenal levels for 2 years now. I had my levels tested by an MD, Naturopath and an endocrinologist. Quite honestly, and unfortunately, the MD was the one who just knew nothing at all, pretty much told me it was all in my head and wanted to put me on antidepressants. My naturopath and the endocrinologist were definitely on the same page and the endocrinologist was actually quite happy that I was seeing a naturopath and was very pleased with the information they gave me :)
    I was always an athlete and after my husband was in a very traumatic accident, my world and body changed in ways I couldn't imagine! I still can't workout like I used to, but hopefully someday I'll be able to again :)