treadmill vs exercise bike for home gym

Options
Just wondering what some of you use or prefer for your home gym...treadmill or exercise bike? Elliptical machine is out of the question since I only have 83" of clearance in my basement. Just wondering what the pros and cons are to each and why you prefer what you have at home.

Thank you!

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I find my wrists and back can't handle the exercise bike for long periods. I've 'converted" it to ersatz recumbent bike by sitting behind it. I would suggest spending some time on each in a gym to make sure what works for you.
  • wholesomeliving
    Options
    I prefer exercise bike. For me I get a better cardio workout and higher calorie burn. There are some sturdy compact bikes available for limited space.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I have both, but I feel like I don't push myself as much on the bike. When I'm not using my treadmill, it's because I'm either running outside or doing videos (or lifting). I've mostly been using the treadmill because I was training for races this summer. It really comes down to personal preference. It's hard for me to run outside regularly because I workout in the mornings, my kids are asleep, and my husband is at the gym, so I have to be in the house for my kids. If you like to run/walk and can easily get outside and will and like it, I think I might go for the bike, more options that way. If you know you won't get outside at all, then which do you prefer? Running/walking or riding?
  • amberkeever1
    amberkeever1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and love it for the interval training but my fav machine is the elliptical. I am like you though and don't have enough head clearance to keep my elliptical inside. Therefor it is a winter only machine as it is in my husbands detached garage which is tin and not insulated!! Ha ha, good luck on getting the right machine for you :)
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I would first question why you cannot have both. If it is a space issue, then OK. The basement ceiling is too low for me to have an elliptical too.

If cost is the problem, then I suggest you use a different strategy. I buy all of my equipment second hand at garage sales and out of the paper. I've built a pretty nice gym. Treadmill, stationary bike, bowflex, sit-up bench, rowing machine and a decent set of dumbbells

If I can only pick one, as you can see above I don't like that limitation, then I have to go with which exercise you are more likely to do.
  • dmoppy
    dmoppy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We have a treadmill. I don't like exercise bikes, but perhaps as I get older that will change (running=higher impact v. a bike). I know you can run outside (of course you can do either activity outside), and I do at times, but love the ability to watch TV while running on a treadmill.

I think it comes down to personal preference - would you rather ride or run/walk? Either way don't buy cheap. Look to Consumer Reports and try out a couple of different brands if you can. The treadmill we have was $1300 15 years ago and it still works (although we are thinking of changing it out since it sounds like a jet getting ready to take off now).
    We started with a Nordic Track ski machine. We hated it and it collected dust for years before we purchased a treadmill.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I own both a treadmill and a exercise bike and I prefer the treadmill hands down.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You have less than 7 ft of clearance, would you even fit on a treadmill down there?
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I have all three - a treadmill, a recumbent seat exercise bike and an elliptical.

If I had to pick just ONE - I'd pick my treadmill.

Why? I can walk, I can jog, I can crank up the incline - it's a weight-bearing exercise (osteoporosis runs in my family).

Now - it'd be tough picking my 2nd favorite - I LOVE my bicycle - BUT - it HAS to be a recumbent seat - easier on the back; love it because I can read while I work out - which ROCKS!

So - I guess in 3rd place - the elliptical - which totally kicks my butt (GREAT work-out)!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Pros and cons to both. I went with the bike first because I can almost always run outside if I want, but I put the road bikes away once they start salting the roads in the winter.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    With my lousy knees and feet, a treadmill is not for me, but the great thing about a treadmill is that it sets the pace. You can't slack off and slow down without manually changing the speed.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    IMO the treadmill always wins. Unless your concern is joint pain, then a bike is the safest bet.
    Burns more calories, works more muscles.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I would say treadmill. You can always go slower some days, I feel like its a more thorough workout than the bike.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think you'd have more options with a treadmill.
  • clownfear_7
    Options
    This depends a lot on you, your goal, and your capabilities. In the gym, if I want to sweat a lot, I get on the bike. It's easier on the knees, but it burns my quads and glutes. This is interval, intense biking. I have a pretty good, sturdy treadmill at home that has a good incline. Currently I do not use it because I like to go to the gym. I feel that if I had a good bike at home that I would probably use it.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Lots of great idea/suggestions/comments!

1.) Yes my basement ceiling is very low. A treadmill might even be a stretch to fit down there. From what I measured at the store, the top of the belt is about 7-8" off the ground. I'm 71", so that's about 79" of total height which only leaves about 3-4" of distance between the top of my head and my drop ceiling. It would probably work, but would definitely be close. I'd have to measure the treadmill before I bought one for sure.

2.) Both is a great idea. I've purchased all of my equipment thus far from Craigslist ads or Play It Again Sports. Most of my dumbbells I paid 50 cents per lb and I got a great adjustable weight bench for $70 that retails for $275 new. I've seen some great deals on bikes and treadmills on Craigslist as well which is probably what I'd end up going with.

3.) I agree that the more sturdy models are worth the money. My parents bought a cheapo ski elliptical type machine years ago, they used it for about a week and then it became a clothes hanger. :)

4.) I like the bikes and treadmills at the gym honestly. I do tend to favor the treadmill more though. It does seem to have more of a range of options for working out (i.e. slow, fast, incline, keeps you at a steady pace, etc) But I guess I'll really need to check into the ultimate height with a treadmill before I get one.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    How about a rowing machine? Fantastic exercise! The Concept2 is an industry standard, IMHO.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Never even thought about a rowing machine, that's not a bad idea either, thanks! Any idea what those typically run new and used?
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    The C2 will run you $800-$1000 new. Not sure about used, but exercise equipment tends to sell super cheap on the secondary market, what with all the unmet expectations out there.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it would work for an elliptical, but I have a low ceiling in my basement as well. When I put my Stairmaster in the basement, I had to take out a ceiling tile so that I would have enough clearance for my head. Works fine except for the occasional spider web in my face. Small price to pay.