PCOS

Options
I was just recently told by the Dr. that i have PCOS. I guess I am just wondering if any one can help me on how to lose weight while having PCOS. I have an appt next week to get started on medicine.

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can lose weight with PCOS. I have done it. I've had PCOS for 25+ years and have been treated with metformin for about 5-6 years now. But what has helped me lose weight and control many of my PCOS symptoms is eating low carb. Since a major issue with PCOS is insulin resistance, it just makes sense to cut out the thing that causes insulin release - carbohydrates. I've lost over 77 lbs. so far since last November and I plan to stick with low carb eating for life.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What kind of medicine? I have had PCOS for years and struggled with my weight. However, I've been on here for 100 days, faithfully counting calories and working out, and am consisently dropping a pound per week. It will also be very important to know your basal metabolic rate and I like to know body composition too. BMI is not the greatest number to use for overall health.
  • arberard07
    arberard07 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have had no trouble dropping the weight. My advice would be to make sure your Dr. knows you're losing weight so he/she can adjust your medication accordingly.
  • MrsH2132012
    MrsH2132012 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Ever Cyster is different. What works for 1 may not work for the other (we all don't have IR) I eat complex carbs (grains and veggies) and lift weights. Have never felt better, no meds (Met/BC) just good old food and exersice (meds IMO only cover the symptoms and make them worse once you come off)

PCOS Diva and Better by Brooke have great info just google them

You'll have to trial and error until you find what works but you can lose the weight <3
  • burkhart_h
    burkhart_h Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I havent lost any weight in over 3 months. I am working out 5 days a week and eating 1400-1600 calories a day. @mistizoom what kind of foods do you eat for the low carb?
  • sandefitz
    Options
    Hi

I have had PCOS since I was a teenager.You absolutely can lose weight. Low carb is the best way to go - really just by cutting out refined white flour and sugar I lost about 40 pounds - with no real calorie counting and intermittent exercise. Once you hit the wall after the first wave of weight loss then you need to concentrate on calories in and calories out. I still try to stay off white food (bread,pasta, rice potatoes). It's a hormonal thing and the insulin resistance gets much better with that strategy. I was on metformin for several years - it wreaked a lot of havoc on my digestive system. I was able to get pregnant pretty easily after I got my weight and hormones under control. 8 years after the baby - my weight is still about the same and I am no longer on medication. It's a rough disease. If you need any advice or support feel free to add me.

S
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can lose weight with PCOS. I have done it. I've had PCOS for 25+ years and have been treated with metformin for about 5-6 years now. But what has helped me lose weight and control many of my PCOS symptoms is eating low carb. Since a major issue with PCOS is insulin resistance, it just makes sense to cut out the thing that causes insulin release - carbohydrates. I've lost over 77 lbs. so far since last November and I plan to stick with low carb eating for life.

I 100% agree with this! I have had a lot of bad information thrown my way and I have had to learn a lot through my own research and experiences. But the only thing that has not only allowed me to lose weight but also control most of my symptoms is eating low carb! I highly recommend going to www.dietdoctor.com/lchf to learn more about it!
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight! It's hard and it sucks, but here is what works for me... I not only watch my calories but my carbs per meal and snack. I also work out 5-6 days a week. I NEVER lost weight that stayed off until I watched the carbs to control the insulin (which goes hand in hand with PCOS). Everyone is different, but those are my 2 cents. I was diagnosed with PCOD a good 15 years ago, I've tried a lot of crap and that's what worked for me :) The weight comes off slower, but it's steady and does stay off well.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    :heart: I found out I had PCOS when I was 15.
    I don't use any type of medicine, I just treat my symptoms with exercise and certain types of food and drink. (FYI, something that regulated my periods was a shot of apple cider vinegar daily).
    Unfortunately low carb diets did nothing for me. Exercise was the biggest help of all.
    You can lose weight btw. I already lost 50lbs before coming here. Just do what everyone does: keep it in a calorie deficit. As long as you're burning more than you take in, you'll succeed
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I can't eat a low carb diet very easily since I'm vegetarian. After 3 months, I'm finally starting to lose weight so it may just take awhile for you. The annoying thing is that the bigger you are, the worse your insulin resistance is and the harder it is to lose weight! I've found that eating 1500 calories a day and working out 4 days a week (make sure to do strength training) seems to work. Also, I've been taking fiber which really seems to have kicked up the weight loss a notch.

If you really need help with losing weight, talk to your doctor about taking Metformin. It really should be a last resort but it's helped a lot of women with PCOS lose weight.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I ate low carb for 2 years, and yes I lost some weight but I wasn't happy at all. I started eating a plant based diet 2 months ago, no meat, dairy,eggs, and have lost 12 lbs and feel clear headed & my mood is great, definitely the best diet for me, but like someone else said, whatever works best for you. But do cut out the white stuff, refined sugar, flour, etc, its not good for any of us. :)

This is a great blog for PCOS & foods,

http://pcos.insulitelabs.com/blog/page/3/?s=foods

and I found this on there: A good diet for PCOS sufferers has lots of vegetables, low GI (Glycemic Index)fruits, nuts, beans and whole grains. It should also limit foods that are high in saturated fat, such as meats, cheeses and fried foods.

And I believe this to be true, at least for me.
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, although I'm not on any medication - the doctor says that it isn't bad enough to need meds. (Good old English drug-averse medical system. Eyeroll.)

I absolutely agree about cutting down carbs and cutting out sugars as much as possible. Some people with PCOS can eat them and lose weight, but a lot can't. Fruit sugars seem to be okay for me as long as I don't eat more than two or three pieces a day, but not candies or desserts. Sugar lurks in an awful lot of things - prepacked foods especially, and things like packaged bread.

Buy fresh foods. Fruits, vegetables, meat if you eat it, seeds and grains. If you have to eat bread, make it fresh bread from a bakery, not the stuff that comes in a bag. (I don't know if this is a worldwide phenomenon, but in England prepacked bread has so much sugar and yeast that in the summer when the weather is warm and damp you open the bag and it reeks of alcohol.)

I tend to subscribe to the idea that if something has a nutrition label and a long ingredients list, it's probably not that good for you. That said, if you eat tinned or packaged food (which I do sometimes), read the labels. If sugar is in the top three or four places on that list, I try to avoid it.

And you might want to look into getting your BMR checked. I don't know exactly where you go to get this done, but I've seen it done on diet programmes on TV. Your myfitnesspal calorie goal is based on your estimated BMR, and with PCOS it can be significantly lower than it might be in a person without the condition. Myfitnesspal tells me that to lose a pound a week I should be eating 2030 calories a day, but I didn't start losing weight until I dropped (on the advice of my dietician and GP) to 1200. (Which was a painful change to implement overnight, but it's showing results.)
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Check out PCOS diva as a tool to get started. On the site, she offers meal plans for cost. However, if you google September meal plan PCOS, free meal plans from 2011 pop up. It's a great way to jumpstart weight loss and to make sure your eating PCOS "friendly" things.

It's such a cruel disease. The foods I crave: ice cream, pizza, crackers... actually cause the disease symptoms to flare up. The more I eat of those types of foods, the more I crave them. If I can bite the bullet for a couple of days and eat "right", I lose my cravings and notice a huge change in symptoms.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You can get an estimate of BMR using calculators online. Mine is about 1630. This is the number you should eat at a minimum as your body needs it to fuel for all activities you don't have control over, such as heart beat, brain function, etc. If you don't eat enough, your body starts to conserve energy (in the form of FAT) and starts to burn off your lean tissue which is the basis of metabolism.

I think 1200 calories is too low a goal for just about everyone, means that even to get up and do a desk job, you do burn some calories. Not only is knowing BMR important (though is doesn't take normal daily activity into account before exercise), it is just as important to know what your body composition is. Most gyms will offer a 3 point caliber test where they take a measurement of fat folds in three places. For women those three places are the tricep, suprailiac (hip), and thigh. Based on these numbers and your current weight, a computer program calculates your body fat % within a 3% margin of error. Usually takes about 5 minutes or so.

The more lean tissue you have (which is everything from muscle, to water, to organs), the higher your metabolism and the more you can eat. Average healthy body fat is 25-30% BF. A more fit woman would have 20-25%.
  • NordicAlien
    NordicAlien Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You can get an estimate of BMR using calculators online. Mine is about 1630. This is the number you should eat at a minimum as your body needs it to fuel for all activities you don't have control over, such as heart beat, brain function, etc. If you don't eat enough, your body starts to conserve energy (in the form of FAT) and starts to burn off your lean tissue which is the basis of metabolism.

I think 1200 calories is too low a goal for just about everyone, means that even to get up and do a desk job, you do burn some calories. Not only is knowing BMR important (though is doesn't take normal daily activity into account before exercise), it is just as important to know what your body composition is. Most gyms will offer a 3 point caliber test where they take a measurement of fat folds in three places. For women those three places are the tricep, suprailiac (hip), and thigh. Based on these numbers and your current weight, a computer program calculates your body fat % within a 3% margin of error. Usually takes about 5 minutes or so.

The more lean tissue you have (which is everything from muscle, to water, to organs), the higher your metabolism and the more you can eat. Average healthy body fat is 25-30% BF. A more fit woman would have 20-25%.

Just to clarify - I'm not suggesting OP drop to 1200. I'm just saying that's what it took for me. PCOS can play havoc with your metabolism, and the online calculators may not be sophisticated enough to take stuff like that into account. That's why I suggested getting BMR tested elsewhere. Most of the online BMR calculators I've tried tell me my BMR is between 2000-2100, but if I eat that much I gain 2-3 lbs a month. I do tend to agree that 1200 is not enough for most people.

That's interesting about the caliper test - I haven't seen them at my gym, but I'll ask next time I'm in.