Need Your Help!

Options
This is my first post, but I am hoping that it sparks conversation with everyone because I am in desperate need of support and motivation... and I dont have it for myself anymore.

A little back story: I am 25 and around 195 lbs at 5'4". I have PCOS which severely hinders my ability to lose weight. In February of 2012, I found a clinic called the Weight Loss Management of Georgia that I started going to, and for the first time in my LIFE the weight started to come off. She based her program off of blood work that focused on my insulin levels and other levels such as my vitamin D and B12. Also, she measured my resting metabolic rate to determine how many calories I was burning with out doing anything to know how much deficit to plan for to lose the weight. We did blood work every three months to adjust, and the plan worked! I started at 227, and was able to get down to 187 a few months ago, making my total weight loss 40 pounds. I never stepped foot in a gym... so this was all weight that came off without exercise. I was proud, but I knew I had so much farther to go.

The dilemma? My doctor closed her practice in May of this year, and since then not only have I not lost a single pound since then, I gained 10. I have been following the plan still, but have also added a little bit of exercise to my routine. As with EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to add exercise, the weight loss has completely stalled.

To make my delicate state even worse, I am fighting a heavy mental battle with all of this. I dont see the change in my body from 40 pounds ago, and even after losing the weight I am still wearing every piece of clothing I used to. My dress size didn't even budge! How that is possible is beyond me, but I am beginning to think I am the only one that is dealing with this.

I need a regimen... and some accountability. I have lost all bits of motivation, and have resorted recently to stress and depression eating, even though I am aware of it happening. What can I do? Do any of you have any plans I could follow?

Should I just focus on eating, or should I continue to try exercising even though it stalls me? What types of exercise should I start with? (note that I had knee surgery last year to reconstruct my ACL... so I am limited) Cardio only, cardio plus strength?

ANY advice or feedback would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you all in advance!

Replies

• slb573
    slb573 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would say focus on your food but pick up some cardio with strength (spin classes are great). Don't let yourself get too down just eat healthy and stay active. Its one of the pitfalls of being on a medical supervised diet because once you come off your SOL. Keep a food log and just hit the gym and keep positive about things.
  • JoLMahan
    JoLMahan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you slb573! Positivity is just what I need to focus on I'm sure!
  • FitRN85
    FitRN85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    New to MFP and need help and daily motivation from people who can kick my butt and keep me going!!! Need new MFP friends!!!!
  • mnardi123
    mnardi123 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, start by focusing on your eating for a week or two and maybe add in a walk two to three times per week then, once you feel in control of the eating start challenging yourself with exercise. As for the clothes, I've lost about 38lbs since I began my journey and I can still wear my size 16 pants but I went out shopping and found out that 14 and a few 12 look much better. Just because the clothes are wearable doesn't mean you haven't shrunk. Go out and try some other clothes on and look at picture of yourself from that time as well and start taking pictures of yourself every couple of weeks so you can see your progress. DON'T GIVE UP!! I've sent a friend request if you want to accept it.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do for yourself right now it to track every single thing you eat, measure portions diligently, and track even on the days you'll be over. I've found that this helps me to stay accountable and has programmed my brain to see the calorie counts of foods without looking them up!

If you need some food inspiration, my food diary is open.
  • commodus192
    Options
    I think all of us likely have some specific needs in order to shed weight. Like most everyone here, I started tracking my calories and like a postman....through rain, sleet or snow - I hit the road running, or - the gym and give myself a good sweat. I think if you do these things within reason, start slow and still enjoy some of the foods you like - you will see some results even in a span of a month. My wifey darling started 40 days ago and has lost 20 pounds....and the weight loss demon has been strong in her forever - she has never gone this committed for so long, and it is showing on her face, in the form of a smile - and I see no turning back for either of us at this point. You really can can can do this - even when that little voice in your head plays it's old song "Stop". !!!