Is it ok to run everyday?

Options
A few years ago I used to do a lot of running and compete in half marathons and did one marathon, when I was doing this I used to do 2 or 3 5mile runs, a track session and a long run each week so I would have at least 2 rest days a week and my weekly mileage was a minimum of 20 up to 40 when marathon training.

Since then I got married, had 2 babies put on 5 stone and stopped running. I am in the process of losing weight, I stated walking everyday but as the weight started to come off I couldn't help but start running again. I only walk 3.2miles a day and am currently running 2.8 miles of it but will soon be running all of it. I go everyday that it is possible. If my husband is working away or on night shifts then I do my 30day shred dvd instead or every other month we have a weekend away and I don't exercise for 3 days but most weeks I am running every evening. Even when I am running the whole lot my weekly mileage will only be about 22, I feel fine and touch wood have had no shin splints or other injures. I also do 2x1minute planks everyday and am trying to teach myself to do press-ups not on my knees.

Do you think it is ok to continue running everyday? Running is my favorite exercise; it' burns lots of calories, I love being outside and I can't afford a gym membership/exercise classes.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Heres a better question: is it ok not to run everyday? No! If ya wanna run, just do it...
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    As long as you are listening to your body I think you are fine!! Its when people start ignoring the warning signs they find themselves in trouble!
  • M22KY
    M22KY Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Usually every other day is recommended. Less stress on your knees and joints.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

No. Proper shoes and correct stride will reduce stress on knees and joints. Running properly has been medically proven to strengthen joints. You can run every day (I prefer to stick with a plan that has rest days built in) but it will depend on how fast your muscles can heal. Listen to your body. Take your rest days, take your recovery pace days, etc. Overtraining can lead to injury and burnout.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Can you run every other? I personally wouldn't run every day. And it isn't a huge calorie burned. I run 3-4x per week
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I depends on your current fitness level and how much and how hard you run every day. Pay attention to how you feel and if you start feeling run down then back off and take a rest day.
  • lucybarnes9822
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I have asics running shoes, I find these good for me.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I used to run a couple miles every day, a 5 k once a week, and a 10 k once a month. If there was a day I was tired, I just didn't run. You'll know whether how you feel is 'lazy' or genuinely tired.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I usually takes 2 days to rest. I don't know everybody different. Good luck
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would probably run every other day, but that's what works for me. Running is especially strenuous on me (I tend to not feel very well afterwards, no matter how long I've been doing it) so if I try two days in a row my body feels awful and refuses to allow a good workout.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on how you feel when you're running. Your body will quickly tell you when it's had enough :wink:

Also, keep in mind that most trainers nowadays supposedly have a finite lifespan. You should replace your running shoes every 500 - 800 miles....or so they say. :flowerforyou:
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I have a friend who has run every day for last year or so, but his rest days are only one or two miles. His long runs are 15-22, the others around 8-10. But that's where his fitness level is.

If there's nothing wrong with you, there's no reason NOT to run. The funny thing about running is that there is no hard and fast rule about it, and it's not one-size-fits-all, but many people are more comfortable referring to "rules". Do what you want. Read everything you can, but do what you want.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

No. Proper shoes and correct stride will reduce stress on knees and joints. Running properly has been medically proven to strengthen joints. You can run every day (I prefer to stick with a plan that has rest days built in) but it will depend on how fast your muscles can heal. Listen to your body. Take your rest days, take your recovery pace days, etc. Overtraining can lead to injury and burnout.

As someone who is currently under doctor's orders not to run for another three weeks (it's already been three and it's KILLING me), listen to this guy. Take rest if your body needs it. Don't try to kill it every single time. When I get back to running, I'm going to really work on not trying to set a PR every damn time I run. I was running 4-5 days a week and I did too much, too soon. Educate yourself, listen to your body and run smart.
  • forbiddendonut
    forbiddendonut Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the replies. If your body feels good, then go for it! You will get the warning signs if it's taking too much of a toll on your body. Our ancient ancestors had to run every day to find food or escape from harm, so I think we are meant to do it. :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Running 2-3 miles every day is fine as long as you're listening to your body, not running in old shoes, and not trying to PR every time.

If you up your mileage significantly, then consider it. I run 5 days (50 miles/week) and have 2 rest days, but I don't spend them sitting around, I walk, stretch, and do core work or other active recovery.
  • leefox79
    leefox79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Like most people are saying, listen to your body.
    I do recommend doing no more than 2 speed workouts in a week, any more than that and you will hurt yourself.
    Keep most of your runs at a comfortable pace and if you do they typical weekend long run, make that run much slower than your normal pace.

Your body would benefit from taking a day off here and there, I try to do 1 day off a week from running, and one other 1-2 mile recovery day. It kills me to not run as I feel so sluggish if I don't. I am 2 and a half weeks out from my first marathon and limiting my runs for the final 2 weeks are gonna kill me, but I know it'll give me fresh legs on race day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

See bolded print...

I prefer to follow a prescribed plan (having a coach would be optimal but not practical) to help avoid overtraining. I do this with running, cycling, weight lifting...when I'm doing triathlon, etc. Whatever season I'm into, I'm following a plan...I have to...I'm compelled to overtrain and following a plan keeps me in check

As I've learned through personal experience...the only thing more annoying than a rest day or two per week is a rest month or two...or three...or four because you've overtrained and broken your body down.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I like to mix things up and mix running with weights. I was doing some form of cardio almost everyday and I kept hitting plateaus in my weight loss. If you like running, keep doing it as long as you keep your progress up. If you hit a wall, mix things up a bit to get going again.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There are other options besides every day or every other day. Why not run two days in a row and take one rest day, then try three and a rest day. Mix it up and listen to your body.

When I start running, I ran about 3 days a week. Did that for about 2 years before going to 4 to 5 days a week. Now, I'll go for stretches of up to 3 weeks without a rest day and occasionally run twice a day (like today), but I had to build up to it.
  • wales93
    Options
    I would suggest you start jogging 2 / 3 times a week for 30/40 mins and start fast pased jogging 60/90 mins
    I started running everyday and my leg muscles went huge and made my legs look fat it hurts to and of courss it is hard to keep up