Lacking Motivation - 20 pound gain

Options
I started losing weight in 2012 and was super motivated to keep going. I began in April and by December I had lost a total of 40 pounds. Now in 2013 since March I've gained 20 of the 40 back. It's embarrasing and sad. How do you deal with getting back on the road to weightloss? Any suggestions on how to start again and what experience you've had?

Replies

• revfresh
    revfresh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have at the moment, please don't get hung up on the past. The more you think about that, the more it will continue to linger. Focus on what you can do today. Then tomorrow, do the same. There will be up times and down, but if you focus on what you can do right now, start putting days like that together, you make progress.

Today I put on a pair of jeans I have not been able to button since 2005. Part of me is stunned I let it go that long. I mean, 2005? :-) That is the past, 12 weeks ago I started over, every day was a new day with a new goal. I then set small goals, 8 lbs by next month, or what not. I started working out 5 sometimes 6 days a week. Nothing to harsh, I was very careful not to do anything to hurt myself. Everyday I made progress. 12 weeks later I have lost 35 lbs, ( I am also keeping a close eye on my calories)

You can do it! :-)
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    ^^ agree. The past is the past. You can not go back you must press forward.

Only YOU know why you need to get back on the 'wagon'! You alone need to dig deep and find the time, motivation and determination to make the change. Each day is a new day to bring you a chance to make a difference. Start now....right this second.
    Go for a walk, buy something healthier for dinner, plan tomorrows workout, etc. Don't make excuses, make changes!

One step at a time, be patient and be determinded. Find a workout buddy to help keep you accountable. Look forward to tomorrow. Take down the rear view mirror!!
  • MaryE1961
    MaryE1961 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you can do about yesterday but let it go - it is done! Just take one small step and say today is day one.
    I have absolutely been there and it is hard to get the fire lit and get back on. My return is very recent and I am working to stay on track.
    The only time you are a failure is when you say "I Quit"! and the fact that you are on here trying means you haven't given up so you are a SUCCESS already.
    I am looking for friends and support on this weight loss journey!
  • Jett68
    Jett68 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Well the way I see it is like this.... So you fell off the wagon so what are you going to do??.... Lay on the ground and get trampled by the horses or get off your *kitten* and climb your way back up. The only time you truly are out of options is when you're under the ground. Do the best you can today and then repeat tomorrow.
    Good luck!
  • mamawoz
    mamawoz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Before my 40th birthday I vowed to lose weight ---- silently cause I wanted it to be for me to show me I can do it. I did it and lost over 30 pounds, and reshaped my body so that I was in clothes smaller than what I was wearing the day I got married at 25! Fast forward and now I'm facing my 45th birthday in the coming year. I've gained all that weight back and then some and am in clothes bigger than what I probably needed when I was pregnant! I lost my way. I went back to school. I ran out of time and de-prioritized myself. I look back and want to kick myself because of how hard it is going to be to get back there and everytime I do, it slows the progress I'm making here and now. Although I'm not always successful, I try to save my kicking for the gym and workouts and move forward. I know how you feel but, as everyone said, you need/we need to move forward and leave the past where it lies and run toward our great, healthier and slimmer future. We did it once, we can do it again!
  • dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight in 2012 and was super motivated to keep going. I began in April and by December I had lost a total of 40 pounds. Now in 2013 since March I've gained 20 of the 40 back. It's embarrasing and sad. How do you deal with getting back on the road to weightloss? Any suggestions on how to start again and what experience you've had?

This is pretty identical to me. Last year I lost 35-40 lbs and was working out daily. Went on vacation for my bday in March and stopped tracking and stopped working out and have just slid. I'm back up about 20 lbs as well but determined to get it under control and back on track! Feel free to add me :) I have an open diary and having other motivating friends is super helpful.
  • Jett68
    Jett68 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ????You can friend me if you want. :)