Why do you enjoy cycling class?

Options
Ok... So I went to my first cycle class today. The seat was horribly uncomfortable. How does anyone get used to it? My instructor said newbies need to come three times in one week to get used to it then there will be no discomfort. Really? I can try it on Thursday but not again until next week. Will the soreness really go away? If it won't... I think I will try other classes. I enjoy Zumba but cycling seems like a perpetual wedgie. I could have pushed myself more had it not hurt so bad. Do all of you cycles really like the class because you find it fun or just because you burn a ton of calories?

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    Options
    What were you wearing for shorts? I highly recommend getting yourself a pair of GOOD biking shorts and also I'd recommend getting a pair of clip-in cycling shoes. The straps that are on the bikes are for crap because (now this is provided it's a true cycling class and not a spin class because there is a HUGE difference between the two) you can feel the moves better with the clip-ins and understand how the movement is supposed to feel in the leg.

I used to take a cycling class once a week and after the third week it hurt less. I don't see a problem with not going the 3x a week if you can't make it. Also make sure you're going at your own pace. Stand up when you have to and don't worry if you don't turn the knob as much as everyone else and if you're that worried about it you can always pretend to turn it.
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Both! But it all depends on the instructor too. We have a few at my gym; they're all great but there's one who has music taste akin to my own and I enjoy her classes a lot more than I do the others.

The seat does get more comfortable, honest. Give it a few sessions and you'll get used to it.
  • TimeFourMe
    TimeFourMe Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was wearing my regular workout clothes. Hoping to not have to invest in a new wardrobe for comfort sake...but might have to if I want to stick it out. I agree that shoes that are made for cycling would be good. My left foot slipped out of the restraints twice. Also didn't realize how nice it would be to have three towels... Two for the handlebars and one to wipe the sweat.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Go to target and buy a $20 gel seat cushion. I've been spinning (not pure cycling class) for 10 years and I wear regular workout clothes but still use my gel seat. It takes about three classes to get used to it but one thing that helps is to sit down gently when you change positions. Don't just slam down because your legs are tired! I love spinning (and the instructors and their music are key!) and get my highest calorie burn and best cardio workout from it? Don't give up!!
  • TimeFourMe
    TimeFourMe Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll go to target tomorrow. :). And no... I wouldn't dream of slamming myself down! Ouch! ;)
  • clownfear_7
    Options
    Cause I sweat as much as I when I do spin class.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Ok... So I went to my first cycle class today. The seat was horribly uncomfortable. How does anyone get used to it? My instructor said newbies need to come three times in one week to get used to it then there will be no discomfort. Really? I can try it on Thursday but not again until next week. Will the soreness really go away? If it won't... I think I will try other classes. I enjoy Zumba but cycling seems like a perpetual wedgie. I could have pushed myself more had it not hurt so bad. Do all of you cycles really like the class because you find it fun or just because you burn a ton of calories?

I tried it recently and did not like it either. I had the sore backside too but really I just found it boring despite the blaring music and the instructor pretending we were going up hills, in races etcc Maybe I just got a bad teacher as it was a fill in the week I went but I wont be back. I am going to get on my real bike though if my hubby ever fixes my tyres!!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I love spinning! I've had 2 different instructors and they both have the same technique: Overload with partial recovery. It's the best for building endurance! I love the high caloric burn that goes along with spinning. It also helps me when I go mountain bike riding.

I know after a sprint or high resistance set I typically will stand and peddle for 20 or so seconds to give my butt a rest from the seat. Also, the instructor will have us in and out of the saddle, helping to prevent soreness from the seat.

Do you sit the entire class?

Edit: is there a difference between "cycling" and "spinning"?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't spin much except in the dead of winter, but I cycle quite a bit...you need a good pair of padded biking shorts and a little time to get used to the seat...yes...your *kitten* will adapt.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Yes, the soreness definitely goes after a few rides. 3 sounds about right. I know this from my own bike. My *kitten* hurts like someone kick-boxed my butt bones the first couple of times, then it's totally fine.
    Hang in there.
  • misk8470
    misk8470 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a cycling instructor, so I will preface my response with that fact as I am obviously kind of bias. :)

Cycling seats are sometimes designed to be more male or female friendly, this can make a huge impact on your comfort. Male-friendly seats tend to be narrower and will often sit on the inside of a woman's "sit bones" in the pelvis. This makes it feel like you have a deep bruise afterwards. A way to help with this is making sure that you are in a strong cycling position whenever you are in the saddle. Keep your hips further back on the seat to be on the widest part of the seat, this should help to keep your pelvis in a strong position while avoiding some discomfort.

As for clothing, if you are not in love with cycling and going 2-3 times a week, don't feel obligated to buy a new wardrobe for it. I would suggest that you try to wear slim/tight bottoms that are close to knee-length to help with any discomfort though. If you do really love it, padded shorts are a better choice as they don't compromise the stability of the saddle like a padded seat will do.

Other than that, I would suggest trying it a few more times, tweaking your seat position to best fit your body shape. Biking is a sport of millimeters, so make sure the height and distance are right for you!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I don't. I hate it. If you don't enjoy it, why do it?
  • Sporks42
    Sporks42 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The soreness does go away after a few rides, by the second ride, I hardly feel it at all, stick it out, it will be worth it! I love spinning because it really wipes me out in ways other exercises never do to me, and I don't feel so self conscious when the lights are low!
  • cnf2013
    cnf2013 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love spinning! The soreness does go away after the fist few times you go. I'd suggest buying some padded bike shorts, but honestly, I never wear mine. I own one pair of triathlon specific bike shorts (read: minimal padding) and only wear them on occasion.

I spin because I run triathlons and it makes me stronger and faster on my own bike. I live in central New York where we see upwards of 170" of snow over the course of 6-7 months, so I can't ride outside. Spinning is a great back up option to keep me in race shape for tri season.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I love cycling more than any other cardio, I don't spin but I know if you use padding or no padding you’re a$s will get used to it pretty fast if you do it every week. I use a regular seat with no padding and I did 27 miles on Saturday and 27 miles on Sunday and no soar a$s =).
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options

I tried it recently and did not like it either. I had the sore backside too but really I just found it boring despite the blaring music and the instructor pretending we were going up hills, in races etcc Maybe I just got a bad teacher as it was a fill in the week I went but I wont be back. I am going to get on my real bike though if my hubby ever fixes my tyres!!

Classes like these are designed to "pretend" you're doing hills, mixed terrain, intervals, and races. It's supposed to emulate real cycling, not just free spinning. Even on a real bike, if you're doing any real distance you're going to experience hills and climbs like in a cycle class.

Winter is coming soon, so I'll have to put the road bike away and get to cycle class. With my clip ins and padded shorts :happy:
  • vb2012
    vb2012 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I spin for both reasons! I love the calorie burn as well as enjoy spinning. I hated my first class too, but it got better after the second and third class. Stick with it. Like others said, a gel seat cushion and spinning shoes might also help although I don't use either. A good instructor and great music are a must as well :) So maybe try different instructors if you can?

And yeah, what is the difference between a cycling class and a spinning class?
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

BIG difference. I've never taken a spin class but I have taken a cycling class. The cycling class focuses on the technique used when you take it out on the road: the proper way to pedal up a hill, the proper way to sit in the saddle etc. etc. The class I took was done by Team in Training and it was in the "off" season to prep the triathletes for when they take it out on the road. It was a tough and awesome workout.

I think spinning is more "aerobic" in that it's stand up, sit down, do push ups on the handle bars, go as fast as you can etc. etc.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

BIG difference. I've never taken a spin class but I have taken a cycling class. The cycling class focuses on the technique used when you take it out on the road: the proper way to pedal up a hill, the proper way to sit in the saddle etc. etc. The class I took was done by Team in Training and it was in the "off" season to prep the triathletes for when they take it out on the road. It was a tough and awesome workout.

I think spinning is more "aerobic" in that it's stand up, sit down, do push ups on the handle bars, go as fast as you can etc. etc.
    It's interesting that you would state there is a big difference after admitting you've never taken a spinning class and then explaining what you *think* spinning is. Often times, spinning is EXACTLY like you describe cycling, but not always. So I would agree that there is a difference, but not necessarily a big difference. Thanks for explaining the idea behind cycling classes. :smile:
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

It's interesting that you would state there is a big difference after admitting you've never taken a spinning class and then explaining what you *think* spinning is. Often times, spinning is EXACTLY like you describe cycling, but not always. So I would agree that there is a difference, but not necessarily a big difference. Thanks for explaining the idea behind cycling classes. :smile:

No need for the snark. :flowerforyou:

I may not have been to a spin class but I know enough about them to know that the cycling class that I was taking was far from a spinning class. In fact there were people in there who took spin and left half way through the class.