to scale or not to scale?

Options
I havent been weighing in because Im usually less than thrilled with what I see.(like this morning...grrr!)Is it better to weigh in just once a week to keep things in check? I have changed a few things from when I first began. Im drinking 8 glasses of water a day,Im walking on a regular basis. I havent weighed in for three weeks and am sad to say the number on the scale is right back where I started!!!:noway: !!!

Replies

• bel74
    bel74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i weighy myself once a week in the same clothes and always first thing in the morning.in the past i would jump on and of the scales morning,noon and night and get so down if i'd put any weight on in the day. i also do my Measurements evey fortnight.
    have you done your Measurements because with me i see more results in inches rather than lbs.:smile:
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    Oh dear its really annoying when that happens isn't it. I've been back on my diet for 3 weeks, have been sticking to my cals and doing loads of exercise and I've actually put on 4lbs!!! I weigh in every week but I think you have to do what suits you best. I tend to find that when I start being a lot more active then it takes a few weeks to see a difference on the scales. I can go for a month with no loss then suddenly the next week drop 5lbs. Be honest with yourself and put everything in your diary, you may find there is something you are eating regularly that you are calculating wrongly or guestimating instead of weighing or measuring. Try changing some of the foods you are eating if you are tending to eat the same sorts of things. If you are doing everything right I'm sure you will see a change eventually, hang on in there.
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is why I weigh myself obsessively:

But a group of doctors who studied obese and overweight adults who were trying to lose weight as well as overweight adults who were trying to prevent weight gain found that those who weighed themselves more often lost more weight and prevented more weight gain over two years than those who weighed themselves less frequently. Contrary to the advice given in many popular weight loss regimens, this study suggests that at least some people can benefit from the accountability brought on by daily weigh-ins. Potential advantages of daily weighing include recognition of slow patterns of weight gain that may not be immediately apparent and the chance to modify lifestyle habits before the total weight gain becomes extreme and difficult to control.

The personality of the individual dieter likely plays a role in deciding how often to weigh oneself. If you're easily discouraged, daily weighing might cause you to give up your attempts if you don't see rapid progress. On the other hand, if you crave control and feedback, daily weighing might satisfy more of your needs and fuel your motivation. Whatever weigh-in frequency you choose, keep these tips in mind when stepping on the scale:

1. Weighing yourself first thing in the morning is usually best. Because of variations in food and fluid consumption, we often "gain" different amounts of weight throughout the day.

2. If you're weighing frequently, remember that daily fluctuations in weight are common. Just because you're heavier today than yesterday doesn't mean your weight control program isn't working. Don't become a slave to the numbers.

3. Monthly variations in weight are also common in menstruating women.

4. "Plateaus" in weight loss aren't necessarily bad. If you're exercising a lot, your weight may remain constant for a time even though you're still decreasing your body fat content and getting healthier.

5. Finally, cues other than the numbers on the scale are equally important. How do you feel? Are your clothes getting looser or tighter? Do you feel stronger, healthier, leaner? Your own perceptions can be the most valuable tools to help you track your weight control progress.
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    Yes I would also say that you have to take into account things like TOTM, I know that I my weight can fluctuate by as much as 5lbs when I am due. I definately find that weekly weigh ins keep me on the straight and narrow.
  • boobooguy
    Options
    thank you for these suggestions!:happy:
  • KristenAnnJones
    KristenAnnJones Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Always weigh yourself first thing in the morning (after you pee!) and make sure you're naked! The scale can't lie that way!!
  • cedricreese
    Options
    Many companies use PDMA_ Plan Do Measure Act. You're here so you must have a plan and you are doing it. Without weekly or daily weigh in there is no measure. Without a quantitative measure you cannot determine where to act next.

Feeling good, dropping a clothing size, or meeting a work out goal are very positive measures worthy of praise but do not offer the consistent unbiased measure like the dreaded scale.

I dieted and worked out for several weeks with 0 scale movement...Each week I made a new plan until I found one that got results. It was not about being hard on myself but rather insisting the time and effort I put in got results. Patience is a virtue for sure, but you can't expect a different outcome if you do the same things. Once I got weekly results it became very motivating. By the way, my MFP diary proved to be the new plan that made the difference for me.

I think everyone on this site is great and hope you get as many good ideas that I have.
  • bebby
    bebby Posts: 18
    Options
    Though I don't always weight myself every day, I try to. I find that it keeps me in check. This whole weight loss thing is basically simple math. And yes, sometimes the math (According to the scale) doesn't work out for me due to water retention. But when I see the numbers go up I can actually, logically say "That's not actual fat, that's just water".

And I also want to know when I'm in a plateau so that I can be more proactive. My plateaus usually only last 2 weeks because I can see the trends. And finally, the scale is my motivator, even when the numbers go up. It just fires me up to work a little harder that day!
  • jzbaby626
    jzbaby626 Posts: 466
    Options
    Always weigh yourself first thing in the morning (after you pee!) and make sure you're naked! The scale can't lie that way!!

This is what I do, once a week. If I don't like the #, it is motavation to push a little harder. If I do like the number, it's the push I need to keep going bc I am seeing results. If I dont weigh in every week, I tend to start slipping back into old (bad) habits.
  • Matt_
    Matt_ Posts: 2
    Options
    I weight myself every morning. Sometimes I forget on the weekend.

I wake up, go to the bathroom, undress, weigh myself, write down my weight and body fat %. (I have a THINNER scale that does the body fat measurement)

I don't worry about day to day changes, I look at my record to see a long term change. I "gained" 1.8 pounds yesterday, by eating 1720 calories! not possible! I was probably dehydrated on Sunday from all the yard work I did, so Monday mornings reading may have been low, or I had too much sodium on Monday and retained some water, or I have alot of food still in my intestines being digested.
    And yes, women, don't forgot about how much water you are retaining based on your cycle.
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself in over a month. But I measure myself every saturday. That way I see the inches off and even if the scales aren't showing a great loss I know my hard work is paying off xxx
  • boobooguy
    Options
    what a perfect way to put it! thank you,i will take that advice and use it!