How to do a weight / body fat cut while strength training?

Options
Since starting Strong Lifts 5x5 3 months ago and increasing my calorie intake I have gained over a stone in weight. I am currently eating a really healthy diet consisting of 1800 calories on rest days and 2200 calories on lifting days. I am 5ft 7, 42 years old and my weight this morning was 12st 2. My body fat percentage seems to be around the 22% mark using accumeasure calipers.

I feel that my weight is out of control and all of my clothes are getting tighter again and this is really making me unhappy. I am planning on doing a cut but was wondering if I should just continue with the SL program until I fail then reduce the weights or should I reduce the weights as part of the planned cut?

I am planning on reducing my rest day calories down to 1400 from 1800 and 1800 on lifting days down from 2200 for the next 4 weeks and see if I can shed at least 6-8 lbs including adding in a few weekly cardio sessions.

What do you guys think, is this the right way to do it or not?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Tagging to follow. Need to know this as well.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Why would you reduce weights? I'd just switch to eating at a deficit and add in a couple of HIIT (or favorite cardio) sessions a week, as you put at the end of your post for sure. You can continue to make some strength gains on a cut. And, even if you stall, you don't want to go backwards. Losing fat is about diet, not about your fitness/exercise program. I'd stick with your plan, if you like it, and go on a cut, diet-wise.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    ^ see above comment.

Weight loss is due to caloric deficit. Do NOT reduce the weights, the whole purpose is to preserve strength and lean mass while in a deficit. You want to keep the intensity up, while dropping calories slightly over a period of time. Lose at a slow and steady pace while still trying to add more weight to the bar.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ^ see above comment.

Weight loss is due to caloric deficit. Do NOT reduce the weights, the whole purpose is to preserve strength and lean mass while in a deficit. You want to keep the intensity up, while dropping calories slightly over a period of time. Lose at a slow and steady pace while still trying to add more weight to the bar.

Agreed.

Keep weight high. Some people will need to reduce volume depending on their calorie deficit, but if you're doing a boxed 5x5 program, volume shouldn't be a problem in most cases.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    ^ see above comment.

I agree. You may stall and/or have to deload, but take it by the session, don't just do it for the sake of doing it. Also, I don't think you would need a 400 calorie/ day cut... try lowering it by 50-100 every week until you start to lose at the pace you want (that will also help keep your weights up).

Also, you don't have to be at a caloric surplus to lift weights. The surplus is only needed to gain muscle- but lifting on maintenance, or even at a deficit, is still a really good idea. You can still make strength gains and preserve your lean body mass.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Has anyone introduced you to this group? Read all their post marked with the red pins and if you still have questions, join the group. The very helpful moderators have had success of their own in losing weight and gaining strength.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ^ see above comment.

I agree. You may stall and/or have to deload, but take it by the session, don't just do it for the sake of doing it. Also, I don't think you would need a 400 calorie/ day cut... try lowering it by 50-100 every week until you start to lose at the pace you want (that will also help keep your weights up).

Also, you don't have to be at a caloric surplus to lift weights. The surplus is only needed to gain muscle- but lifting on maintenance, or even at a deficit, is still a really good idea. You can still make strength gains and preserve your lean body mass.

agreed, you should be aiming to lose around 1/2lb per week - so a deficit of 250 cals should be enough.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'm slightly taller than you (1"), slightly younger than you (1 yr) and started off slightly lighter than you (3kg?). My biggest mistake of 2012 was eating too little. My muscles shrank as quickly as my fat stores. If I were to do it over again, I'd eat around the 2000-2500 mark and focus on developing strength and physique. After all, if you were the same weight, with tight clothes but it was muscle not fat, would you still be unhappy? :-D
  • TheIronBull
    Options
    Cut out all liquid calories. Drink all of the water you want to. Eliminate carbs from your diet. Eat eggs,chicken,fish,turkey,cuts of lean red meat and drop your calories some. three ways to lose weight

1. eat less
    2. eat cleaner ( cut out carbs )
    3. burn more calories

do all three of these and you will reach your goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,542 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy and calorie deficit. WIN.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I have never varied my calories on training days and non training days. While cutting, I just run a consistent defeciet of around 500-600 calories per day. Always lift as heavy as you can.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    three ways to lose weight

no.....
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump for later read.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Cut out all liquid calories. Drink all of the water you want to. Eliminate carbs from your diet. Eat eggs,chicken,fish,turkey,cuts of lean red meat and drop your calories some. three ways to lose weight

1. eat less
    3. burn more calories

Strong broscience on #2 bro
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    in for the bro science! :glasses:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    i must say that i'm suprised you would gain weight on that calorie intake.

I'm an inch taller and thats what i eat to loose.

if burning fat is the objective, cardio would definetly help... HIIT probably being the most muscle friendly
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was eating at a surplus and gained doing 5x5...no biggie...I just added some cardio...20-30 min of circuit/interval training, cardio and reduced the intensity of stronglifts to 3x5 with the same weight...
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options

1. eat less
    3. burn more calories

Strong broscience on #2 bro

going by his avatar he looks pretty strong...I'd take advice from him
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    i must say that i'm suprised you would gain weight on that calorie intake.

I'm an inch taller and thats what i eat to loose.

if burning fat is the objective, cardio would definetly help... HIIT probably being the most muscle friendly

I was thinking the same thing. I"m about half an inch shorter, 17 pounds lighter and 16 years older and just increased my daily calories to 2450 to stop losing more. But I agree, HIIT is the way to go. And keep lifting.