Addicted to chocolate - help!!

Options
So I seriously think I am addicted to chocolate. I find it so hard to just stick to one small piece or one bar. I know that it’s totally possible to enjoy it in moderation.... I just find it so hard to stick to moderate amounts!

I’ve just had a two finger Twix, it was 288 calories. By the time I finish the day I will still be under my calories, but even though I am not hungry at all now at the moment, it’s like I have a taste for chocolate and just want more. I’m not going to, but I find it makes it harder to stick to my calories.

Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone else been able to get past it and actually enjoy in moderation (would have been better to have a 1 finger twix!) or do you find you just have to completely cut it out?

Replies

• Ainat266
    Ainat266 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid it for the most part as I find it really hard to just have a small amount. Sometimes though I can break off a couple of pieces, but I have to put the rest away before I eat the pieces otherwise I'd end up eating the whole thing.

I also have a similar issue with crisps...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    add wine to that, and I am addicted.
  • kingdonle
    kingdonle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem and am 4 days into 30 days without sugar. I've been reading up and its seriously addictive. Am finding it really hard as I have such a sweet tooth but I'm fed up of undoing all my hard work simply because I have a piece of chocolate and then can't stop.

How many cals are you having each day? I have upped my cals to 2000 from 1600 and am filling up on lots of protein rich food. So far I haven't felt hungry although after last night's workout I had a really strong craving for something sugary.

Maybe it's something you have to do without if it starts you on a chocolate binge. What other things could you have done with your 288 calories?

xx
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem and am 4 days into 30 days without sugar. I've been reading up and its seriously addictive. Am finding it really hard as I have such a sweet tooth but I'm fed up of undoing all my hard work simply because I have a piece of chocolate and then can't stop.

How many cals are you having each day? I have upped my cals to 2000 from 1600 and am filling up on lots of protein rich food. So far I haven't felt hungry although after last night's workout I had a really strong craving for something sugary.

Maybe it's something you have to do without if it starts you on a chocolate binge. What other things could you have done with your 288 calories?

xx

My dinner tonight isn't much more than 288 calories LOL. Although admittedly that is only because I take my son to football training on Tuesdays, but still.... guess it puts it in to perspective.

Glad to hear I am not the only one... well not glad because it sucks for you all too, but at least it's not just me lol.

I'm thinking the issue may actually be sugar and not just chocolate as I find it hard to control myself with biscuits too. Although I like crisps and nuts, I can easily have a small bag or a handful and I am good. So thinking sugar could be what I find addictive.

I'm lucky I rarely drink (few times a year), as I can't afford the calories as they have all be used on chocolate lol.
  • blueboxgeek
    Options
    Oh and I generally eat about 1500-1600 calories, I ate around 1800 yesterday but burned a fair few calories doing Zumba last night (woke up starving today!!)

I always assumed my TDEE was around 2000 so I wouldn't really lose weight if I ate that? I'm 5ft 4in and weigh around 212lbs.
  • kingdonle
    kingdonle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Maybe one day 'they" will create a diet just based on chocolate!! ;-)

Try finding some sweet snacks that you can munch on instead - the obvious one being fruit - I'm really into cantaloupe melon at the moment. Yum!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe one day 'they" will create a diet just based on chocolate!! ;-)

you can lose weight eating only chocolate as long as you are eating below maintenance...
  • stepkatq
    stepkatq Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    you are not alone, chocolate is my biggest weakness (along with really good quality ice cream :smile: ) I too am terrible at the whole moderation thing when it comes to chocolate, if I have it, I will keep eating it. I am trying really hard at the moment to cut chocolate out completely (as part of reducing sugar in general) in hope that I might be able to reintroduce it when I am not as addicted. Gosh it is hard, sometimes I just <i> need </i> it.

just to add- it has been the craving I give into most, as I find I will keep wanting it the next day if I don't, and so on. I am having some luck weaning myself off it by having a substitute, ie, sugarless (brand) chocolate when I have the 'I need something sweet now!' moments. I have mixed feeling about those products though. Yes, some of the fats and calories are lower, but not hugely and then there is the malitol to consider.... and the taste. The only benefit is that even small amounts of malitol seriously messes with me (that warning - excessive consumption = laxative effect isn't kidding!) so that is a very good incentive to only have 2-3 pieces
  • Ainat266
    Ainat266 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's not as good as chocolate... but something else I'm finding helps is low calorie jelly for when I have a sweet craving. I have the Hartleys one at the min. At 10cals for a pot it's far better for the calorie count than chocolate.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - I cannot stop at one, and I'm only like that with biscuits and chocolate bars,.

I am a follower of IIFYM and everything in moderation, but I definitely think I have trigger foods.

I stopped eating milk chocolate and biscuits a while ago, and while the first week or so was hard, to be completely honest I genuinely don't think about them now, and I don't get tempted when I see them, unless I'm ravenous. The only chocolate I will eat is dark chocolate (good quality makes all the difference) because it satisfies any sweet cravings and a small amount really is enough. I would recommend giving that a try.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've never limited my fondness for sweets to chocolate. But I don't consider a Twix bar to be chocolate. Chocolate to me is something that is mostly chocolate, not cookie. Maybe the cookie is the problem. I cut back on carbs, and I still eat a square or two of chocolate, mostly dark chocolate or dark chocolate with nuts, most days, which amounts to 50-70 calories per square. Lately I've been having Nutella instead.
  • buxfan
    buxfan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've found that the ready-made Sugar Free Dark Chocolate Jello Pudding satisfies my craving for only 60 calories and it really does taste great. It is my little piece of heaven every day!!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with the post about good quality dark chocolate. I like 90% but can only handle a couple of pieces at a time. Satisfies my choc craving without causing a binge and is not bad for me. Try darker chocolate and see if it helps. Most people I know can't handle as dark as I take, but I love it!
  • blueboxgeek
    Options
    I have some sugar free jelly in the fridge but I usually eat it with chocolate mousse on top lol.

Nutella..... I can't go near that stuff or I empty the jar. Why do I have no self control with chocolate!!! It's crazy!

It won't beat me though. I am thinking I will need to go cold turkey for a while and then maybe try the dark chocolate route. I've had some very good dark chocolate in the past and don't think it sets me off on a mad chocolate binge like milk chocolate.

So, I will say it here. From now (and not tomorrow or I will end up buying extra chocolate tonight and going over calories lol) I will not have chocolate!!! For a month. Wow.... it's gonna be tough. Plenty of other things to snack on though right?!?!
  • XxCaz89xX
    Options
    I seriously understand you..... Chocolate is the only thing I ever really crave and I can't just eat a small amount I either don't eat it at all or binge. I have recently found the Fudge Highlights 40kcal hot chocolate which I have a mug of if i'm seriously desperate =)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    This is a problem I've had for most of my life. Not just with chocolate, but chocolate is my favorite goodie. And it has to be milk chocolate. Haven't had much of it in the last three weeks, but that is a miracle. I have no control over it on my own.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Chocolate...I always want it. I have been known to not eat much at all during the day so that I can eat most of my calories in chocolate. So don't be like me.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Well, I have thought of doing that.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i've just scoffed 2 toffee crisps. feel a bit sick now. its the first chocolate i've really wanted in this last 7 weeks so i allowed myself to indulge in my sulky hormonal craving. think i'm still under (or near) tdee calories so i'm not going to beat myself up over it. i thought about trying an alternative but i knew that this once, fruit or something wasn't going to do the trick and i'd probably end up eating the alternative plus the chocolate. tomorrow is a new day :smile:
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Yea me too. Sometimes I sell my body just so I can get money for that one fix. I've been known to not buy groceries for my kids because that snort of cocoa was just more important.