Is Indian food high in Calories?

Options
megamom
megamom Posts: 920 Member
We finally got an Indian restaurant around here and I have always wanted to try it. What would be the best choices to get when I go?

Replies

• foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    http://eatthis.womenshealthmag.com/slideshow/10-ways-eat-healthily-indian-restaurant?cm_mmc=ETNTNL-_-2010_09_23-_-HTML-_-1

Check out that article- it may answer your questions. I love the mango lassi drink at Indian places. YUM! Indian food is delicious.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    see if you can find int online. Calorieking.com is pretty good. research it
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It definitely can be. Watch for cream sauces and deep-fried food. Dal soups tend to be healthy.

That said, I ADORE Indian food. Soooo yummy.
  • kmand
    kmand Posts: 7
    Options
    Tandori chicken is a good choice (baked in a clay oven). Be careful of the saucy dishes, they use a lot of ghee (clarified butter). Tastes great, but high cal. Also the Raita yogurt sauce is a good choice. Dahl or other lentil dishes should be ok as well.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I found the website and menu on line so will research the meals before we go. It all looks delicious.
  • aatul
    aatul Posts: 23
    Options
    i live in India !! opt for the " chicken tikka " " seekh kebab" and other items done in the tandoor ( clay oven ), do try the Dal ( lentils ) & tell them to not add butter from the top, " nan / roti " good options for the bread ..... skip the " parantha " though id you are more people do order it and share a few bites each ( it's devine ) .
    CHEERS !