Pre Bed Meal - Blessing or Curse for weight loss ?

Options
Hey All,

I have been reading about Pre Bed Meal and have found contradicting opinions about Pre Bed Meals when on a weight loss plan.

Few recommend eating 3 hours or more before bed time. Some researches prove that the pre bed meal is better to keep up your metabolism since you fast the entire night.

I usually have my dinner between 8-9 pm and go to bed around 12ish...If its within the daily calorie limit, should I eat a pre bed meal??? If yes, what should I eat to ensure that I dont put on fat but loss it ?

Does the body enter a catabolic state without a pre bed meal?

Also read that its good to eat Pears before going to bed... Reference: http://www.ehow.com/how_5571196_eating-pears-night-lose-weight.html

I doubt if thats true because pears mainly consists simple carbs and I doubt if eating simple carbs before bed would help weight loss. Probably eating protein before bed might help !

Please do share ur opinions..

Replies

• FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake before bed especially on days i lift helps muscle growth and recovery plus keeps my body working while i sleep.. :smile:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake before bed especially on days i lift helps muscle growth and recovery plus keeps my body working while i sleep.. :smile:
    What he said. Your body can attack your muscles while sleeping. Casein protein or a cup of cottage cheese before bedtime can help prevent that.
    From what I have read, what you eat in terms of fat, when you eat it, matters little. The ice cream sundae you eat for breakfast or the one before bedtime will have the same impact. Sort of like believe that the fat in food is "fatter" at night. Contrary to popular belief...it is simply not true.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    A Calorie is a calorie, your body doesnt treat it any differently at 7pm than it does at 11pm, if you are within your calories it doesnt matter when you eat, I usually eat snacks up till bedtime, my wife does too and we have never had a problem with it affecting our weight loss. We combined have lost over 140lbs.
  • jantawa
    jantawa Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have been having a small apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter...so far, so good:)
  • vonnegut2767
    Options
    I have a snack very night. Had to, it's one of those things I knew I wouldn't be able to give up, and if I tried I wouldn't stick to the new lifestyle. I also do strength training (free weights) 3 nights a week and have a protein shake after each workout (in addition to the snack). I make sure I stay within my calories for the day, and I've had no problems. Lost almost 60 pounds since May. I agree, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, regardless of when you eat it.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    An ounce of cheddar cheese before bed, and if you get a good cheddar, it's worth every gram :smile:
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    My personal experience is that it doesn't matter what time I eat if I'm within a certain amount of calories each day. I frequently have a cheese stick before bed to quell a growling tummy. This girl can't sleep if her belly is empty. The scale has continued to cooperate regardless of the time of my last meal/snack.

SW: 230 (01/10)
    Height: 5'4"
    CW: 150.2
    GW: 135