Hello all! I am very depressed about my weight!

Options
I have seemed to gained and extra 35 over the last 2 years. i am only 5'3 and it shows.... i have tried excercising and diet pills. Now i am trying Qysmia. i just started this week... we will see. i weigh 197.4 as of today.

Replies

• jema_b98
    jema_b98 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Think of today as a new beginning and make a few good choices and log everything. Each day that you log and make good choices will help you start feeling better about yourself. We all didn't become overweight in a day, and it is not going to come off in a day or a week, but in a week, you will start feeling better, if you choose wisely, you lose a few pounds and it can start the journey to a new lifestyle (this is not about a "diet") and a changed body. Good luck to you! :happy:
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm Lew. Married, dad of two soon to be three... Down 185 in 14 months... Anyone is welcome to add me!
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I know the pain, I've gained a lot of weight in the past year. It's amazing how easy it is to gain, and how difficult to lose. What's important is not popping pills, but improving your diet and getting active, and then keeping it up for the rest of your life.

Good luck!

(from a 5', 178 pound lady - so similar long journey ahead :)
  • PDubbya
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've gained 35 pounds over the last 3 years. And it definitely shows. My advice is to set your mind to lose. For Good. Log everything you eat and try to move everyday, whether it's going for a walk or just cleaning your house, every bit helps.

When I log everything I eat, I can see how many calories I have left for the day and it really helps to keep me on track. I know I can only eat so many more calories today and I have to stay within that limit.

Good luck. And don't beat yourself up for gaining weight. The older we get the harder it is to not gain weight. I used to be able to maintain my weight by not really doing anything, and now at 40 years old I have to really watch what I eat and move more.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have seemed to gained and extra 35 over the last 2 years. i am only 5'3 and it shows.... i have tried excercising and diet pills. Now i am trying Qysmia. i just started this week... we will see. i weigh 197.4 as of today.

So you believe that you just haven't found the right pill yet to make you "not fat" and that such pill is out there somewhere?

You are not ready yet. The first step is acceptance.

Acceptance of the fact that the only way to permanently change your body is to permanently change your lifestyle.

That means finding lifestyle that will work for the rest of your life, that you can maintain and be happy with.

If you are starting "a diet", "a regimen", a whatever... Ask yourself two questions:

1. Can I do this for the rest of my life?

2. Is it good for me if I do it for the rest of my life?

If the answer is no, and the word "jump-start" wants to slip from your lips, you will regain whatever weight you lose plus extra.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

So you believe that you just haven't found the right pill yet to make you "not fat" and that such pill is out there somewhere?

Acceptance of the fact that the only way to permanently change your body is to permanently change your lifestyle.

That means finding lifestyle that will work for the rest of your life, that you can maintain and be happy with.

If you are starting "a diet", "a regimen", a whatever... Ask yourself two questions:

If the answer is no, and the word "jump-start" wants to slip from your lips, you will regain whatever weight you lose plus extra.
    I'd say this is spot on.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options

• loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose is eating well and exercising your *kitten* off..unfortunately there are no shortcuts. I have been where you are..I at one time was 5 ft and 207! Then I lost to 182..stayed there a long time...thne three years back to 164...now it has been 8 months and I weigh 127 and although I have a bit more to lose...I am so proud because I earned it! I want you to feel that way too because it is worth it and you will feel better physically and emotionally by leaps and bounds. Feel free to add me because whereas I was you 8 months ago..in that period of time you could be helping someone else out. Best of luck to you!
  • superhelga
    superhelga Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As many others say. Start looking for the motivation and will inside yourself to change.You can do it!
    And know that you are not alone. We are so many who are there right with you. There is no pill or easy fix, but loosing weight and getting healthy is an extremely rewarding process. And once you are on a good track it can seem almost too easy to be true. It just takes time. But you will feel amazing!
    You have to figure out what makes you gain weight and work on that. And remain focused. For the rest of your life (I forgot that part last time, and gained it all back + some more)
    A good start can be to join weight watchers, to get a kick start into good habits. It can feel pricey, but its worth it! So very worth it!! Try it just for a month. It does really work!
    Tracking what you eat is essential! That way you learn where you slip.
    Exercise. Bee good to your body, and you want to be good to yourself.

Check out http://www.halfsizeme.com/
    Its an amazing page with a free podcast. I listen to that constantly to keep myself motivated. You'll find tons of sucess stories, and practical advice on what they did.
    If they can do it. So can you!

Best of wishes to you, and every one who are struggling.
    We can do it!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Adding: if it were me and I "seemed to have gained weight" I'd spend some time really looking at how to eat to nourish my body. How many calories I eat. What sorts of calories and nutrients my foods have.... I'd not want to find that after all my hard work losing I'd gained weight again.

My point: whatever you do has to be something that will work FOR YOU for the long haul. Otherwise you'll be back here in a year "starting over" as so many folks seem to do.

You can do it. You're young, it's totally doable. But it takes time and attention.
  • dwtimeoutt
    dwtimeoutt Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down too. Lost track of the numbers. never gained it all back but got close a couple of times. My motivation is a Hawaii trip. We are going in the Spring. I think I can lose some. I cannot lose all I want to though. This I know. I work the overnight shift and exercise is really hard to get. Trying myself to stay motivated. Add me if you want. On good days I'm full of great ideas and encouragement.

You can do this. It is a one day at a time challenge. Don't beat yourself up if you don't succeed every day. Just start anew and remember what your ultimate goal is. Down here with a nasty cold. I know a cup a noodles isn't all that great for me, but doing it as it comes along. You can't beat yourself up when set backs come your way. Accept them and move on.

Add me if you would like.

denise
  • marianb2001
    marianb2001 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That is why I started here at MFP - I gained about 30lbs over time. i was always thin. I tried crash dieting and exercising but no pills. Dr said I was just getting older - REALLY!?!? Any way I started eating my calories based on what is said here at MFP 1200 - and I have been losing. Finally I am not starving and I am seeing it come off. I am 39 years old, and weighed 151 at my heaviest at 5'3". I was simply not eating enough - about 5 - 700 cals every day for about 7 years and the weight kept creeping up from starving and then binging on the weekends. Hang in there and start logging everything you eat. We can do this.