Help! Treadmill running - long and slow - short and intense?

Options
I always thought that optimum fat burning exercise is long and slow but have been hearing short workouts doing intervals (run fast 2 min. then walk, recover 1 min.) is more effective. Which is it? My first work out goal is to loose weight but I do like running and want to increase mileage not necessarily speed. Any thoughts?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I always thought that optimum fat burning exercise is long and slow but have been hearing short workouts doing intervals (run fast 2 min. then walk, recover 1 min.) is more effective. Which is it? My first work out goal is to loose weight but I do like running and want to increase mileage not necessarily speed. Any thoughts?

I wouldn't consider HIIT as more effective, but more efficient.

I usually incorporated both by running 5 min intervals for ~36 min, which worked out in the beginning as 3.5 miles, but at my peak 5.25 miles.

That's one way to get the best of both worlds.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do whichever you prefer. If you want to increase mileage, increase your mileage. With a proper diet, you'll reach your goal with either method
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I try to continually run longer periods without stopping so I can outrun zombies just in case a zombie apocalypse ever happens.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Either is good. Depends what you want to achieve from your run.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    I think either will get you there, but faster intervals will help you build strength, speed and endurance.

And lol @SoDamnHungry!
  • MizzuzR
    Options
    I love the faster intervals, I burn more while I am exercising and have read that the method helps your burn long after you are done exercising.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    You could always do both - a couple days a week go for long and slow, and then a couple days do more intense/short interval.

I know for me, when I train for long races, I do 1 long, slow run per week, a few medium length runs, and then 1 day of speedwork - which is very similar to intervals (short runs at a fast pace followed by recovery and repeat).
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    You could always do both - a couple days a week go for long and slow, and then a couple days do more intense/short interval.

I know for me, when I train for long races, I do 1 long, slow run per week, a few medium length runs, and then 1 day of speedwork - which is very similar to intervals (short runs at a fast pace followed by recovery and repeat).

This is me as well. They both are beneficial, just depends on your goals.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I try to continually run longer periods without stopping so I can outrun zombies just in case a zombie apocalypse ever happens.

Me, too! But I'm slow, so I'll be fine with regular zombies, but totally screwed with 28 Days Later (FAST) zombies!

There's no reason not to do both. A couple days longer and slower, a couple sprints/intervals. Maybe put some sprints in the middle of a longer run or train on an incline.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This is my main workout at the moment. I've been a smoker for 20 years, and really want to run. I want to quit smoking, and have several times over the last few years- this is a new strategy for me. I figure that if I keep increasing my speed and endurance on the treadmill as I lose weight, that eventually I'll hit a wall and have to make a decision about the cigarettes. It will come down to what is more important to me.

I started out running 7mph for 15 seconds of every minute or two, for 30 minutes, and now run slower-6 mph, usually for 5 minute intervals, dropping back to 3-4 mph in between runs. I know this is laughable for a lot of people, but it's really working for me, every day I get better, and I've dropped 10 pounds in the last month. I feel fantastic, and I know it's only going to get better.

Two days ago, I did 8 miles, half of it running. If someone had told me only a couple weeks ago that I would be doing that, I would have laughed in their face.

ETA: I realized pretty quickly that my "high" speed was too high for me. Even with intervals, do what works for your body and your fitness level. I can go longer and do more with 6mph than I could at first with 7mph. Again, I know that may be laughable for some people, but it works for my body with the fitness level I'm at for the moment.
  • JorisSt
    Options
    Its better to run FAST and INTENSE, you will lose more calories on this way of work out.

Also the diet of Dr Charles can help you lose weight;

Joris S.
    weightloss-tips.eu
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    FAT burn is most efficent via HIIT. It burns as much fat in 6 lots of 30 second sprints as 60 min of steady state cardio (around 110-140bpm). Not during the initial session but because of EPOC. I'll let you google and understand that.

However, do what you prefer. There isn't a right way, unless you consider burning off the fat in a shorter time period as needed.

If you do HIIT, make sure it is not fasted and has at least a small meal/shake/BCAA before you do it (choose just one, not all).

NB
    Remember HIIT is meant to be all out sprint at about the fastest you can do, not a 'quite quick jog' or similar.