My kid wont eat vegtables....

Options

Replies

• ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Also, remember this:

Children are not people or humans. They do not get choices. They do not have preferences or even taste. Just shove that *kitten* in and screw what they think about it.

This is very important to remember.

*heart*

Unfortunately, two of my children have a sensory integration disorder as a part of their autism. The texture of some foods make them gag. Cooked vegis make that list. They love them raw!! I often incorporate purees into our food to make sure they're getting their nutrition and because some vegis are just not good raw.

Squash puree is good with cheddar cheese so I add that to burritos, mac and cheese . . . Jessica Seinfeld has a really good cookbook along these lines.

Some children are picky for whatever reason. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt until I understand why they're being picky.
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    sometimes arranging every piece of veggie in a 'face' on a plate...yeah I know extra work... or put a toothpick in each piece...kids love toothpicks...yeah I know more work... but sometimes they do eat them all. also cutting vegetables in unusual shapes... like a celery into super long strips (the length of the celery) or carrot round slices ... or using one of those zigzag knives so it comes out all squiggly...my kids love sweet peppers... I make 'veg kabobs on a stick.... alternating colours...also check the colour of the plate... if I serve red peppers I use a blue plate or other contrasting colour. also, if they are watching tv I just walk in, plot a plate of veggies down (with dip) and away they go.... good luck!
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My kids love green smoothies! They call them banana smoothies even though they are green and they know what I put it them.

Water, Spinach and a large banana is a good starting point. Tastes like banana :)

You can add other greens and fruits, play around and try new things.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Also, remember this:

Children are not people or humans. They do not get choices. They do not have preferences or even taste. Just shove that *kitten* in and screw what they think about it.

This is very important to remember.

QFT.

-mom of two
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am probably the meanest mom in the world... I don't let my kids leave the table until they finish them. I don't give them much, and if they want more they are absolutely welcome to them. But my kids know they better just eat them or they sit at the table for a very long time.
    You do know that forcing kids to eat sets them up to have issues with food, right? Forcing them to clean their plate negates their own hunger cues, resulting in over eating later in life. Forcing them to eat certain foods can actually reinforce their aversions to those foods.

1) I never said I forced them to clean their plates, just eat their veggies.
    2) I don't believe that forcing them to eat certain foods will reinforce their aversion to those foods
    3) You parent how you see fit and I will parent how I see fit. I was not telling the OP how to parent her children, just how I parent my own.

BTW my children both love almost all veggies now. Even after I "forced" them to eat them. So it worked for my kids.

My kids are a little older now, and they actually say things like "YAY, we're having green beans!". Because they are so better than alternatives that might show up on the table, like asparagus or cauliflower (which they still eat with minimal complaint). When we started "forcing" our kids to eat vegetables, my son would put his head down on the table and cry (he was about 4 at the time). Now it's just an accepted fact that vegetables are a part of dinner, and there is no possibility of dessert or seconds of the entree until the veggies are gone.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Chop finely and stick into soups and stews. They won't even notice they are there.

Play around with different styles of preparing them, way of cooking and seasonings used.

I was extremely picky growing up, though. All I ate was cheese and pasta. My poor parents. :laugh:

Totally working solution, what I would have wrote too. but don't hide everything, because eventually, they'll have to embrace the concept of eating real vegetable in it's raw state.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    That's actually the kind of thing I was suggesting, and it is not the same as hiding them in foods. You can puree all kinds of things and put them into spaghetti sauce, taco meat, hamburgers, meatloaf, etc. and they won't be tasted. They'll be eaten, but that isn't teaching kids to appreciate vegetables as they are. Hiding them in that manner, rather than transitioning into eating them raw or steamed, actually reinforces the idea that vegetables are gross.

That's not true in the least. I raised my kids loving vegetables in many forms, beginning with those they ate in the spaghetti and pizza sauce and later to the same vegetables in whole, raw form. You can conjecture all day about how it will work but I have the proof of having two grown children who were raised to be veggie-loving healthy adults who LOVE vegetables in all forms, including steamed and raw. My son is now actually a trained chef and he uses all sorts of exotic veggies I've never even tried and experiments with different ways to serve them. Eating a vegetable in many different forms and varieties is a great way to have them explore a culinary repertoire that has no limit. Eating veggies only if raw and steamed is unnecessarily boring and simply an exercise in parental control. I have less interest in controlling my children and more in opening their minds and hearts to all sorts of experiences, both culinary and not. If pureeing a veggie for a 3-yr old avoids a fight and gets the veggie in, go for it. Otherwise, you're just torturing your kid without reason and could end up turning them off for life.

EDIT: If kids see YOU eating and enjoying veggies, they will come to a stage in their development where they want to do everything the grown-ups do and they will emulate you. Until then, anything you can do to remove the stress and conflict from the dinner table will serve them best in the long run. Look at all the people here with eating/food issues ... let their relationship with food be a simple one of nutrition/enjoyment and not family politics.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Sorry I have no help; I made my son eat his veggies when he was very little and he never gave me issues when he got older. The only thing he hated was a tomato (he'd eat ketchup or tomato sauce as long as there were not chunks); one vegetable, I didn't make him eat it.

And with fruit, he liked everything but apples; so I didn't force apples on him.

He is 22 now and will eat tomatoes and apples (actually he'll eat anything that isn't moving to be honest :bigsmile: ); I even made him a greensmoothie when he came home with greens, carrots, fruit and hemp protein powder...he drank it.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I puree veggies and put them into things, they knew it and they think spinach in brownies is normal.

I think putting a small amount on their plates is a good idea. I grew up with a two bite rule. I had to eat two bites of everything. My kids grew up with the same rule. After two bites if you don't like it, then you've met the requirement. I didn't hold dessert as a reward or punishment either.

I am also an advocate of children helping in the kitchen. The number of young adults in my acquaintance unable to cook for themselves is scary! You also have to experiemnt with cooking methods...my daughter is enthusiastic about baked zucchini fries, otherwise, she eats her two bites and calls it a day!

I also think letting kids grow vegetables is a great idea. Mine have had a small garden since they were little and getting to eat something they've grown and cared for all summer was exciting to them.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Make a turkey meatloaf.

Chop fine or shred 1 cup each of carrots, squash, onion and green pepper. Saute them in a little olive oil till they are all done and not crunchy. Let cool.

I use Jennie-O ground turkey breast (1.25 lb package) and add 1/2 cup uncooked oatmeal (or bread crumbs), 1 egg and whatever spices you like. You can add 1/2 cup BBQ sauce or ketchup if you like. Mix it all together and put in a loaf pan or other baking dish. Bake @ 350 for 60-75 minutes, until the internal temp reaches 165. It's a DELICIOUS meatloaf. I make it all the time and I love vegetables!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I am very much against hiding and sneaking food. It's devious and sets it up so the child does not trust your cooking or his/her own palate. It takes away his desire to choose to try vegetables because they are forced onto him/her.

Now my first question to you is your child a super taster? Does his father or other family members have a problem eating vegetables?

Ask your kid why he doesnt like vegetables do they taste bitter, bland, or is it the texture? Remember children have many more taste buds than us, and that can make it difficult to eat complex tasting foods that have bitter compounds like vegetables especially curciferous veggies like broccoli, brussel sprouts, and cabbage.

Next you want to include him into cooking if he's old enough to stir he's old enough to help. You can give him a responsibility such as every night his job is to make the daily family salad. Let him have control over what goes into the salad, and praise him up and down to the hilt on what an excellent cook he is and how he really knows how to make the best salad of your life. If he's too young to cut up veggies Mom might need to help with the knife stuff and let him assemble.

When you go grocery shopping expose him to the produce section. Talk about the vegetables. This is the perfect time to learn especially about the exotic vegetables country of origin and the health benefits in that veggie. Have him pick out a fruit or vegetable, and ask him to fix it for the family.

Another thing to look at is how we prepare vegetables. If mushy isnt what he is opposed to than cook the veggies and let him slather them with whatever sauce he wants. if he only likes ranch then let him have all the ranch in the world if he can only eat them witch cheese then cheese it up. If he can handle raw then avoid cooking. My fiance is a notorious super taster they only way he will eat any vegetable is if it is fried. I think it reduces some of those bitter compounds. Look at tempura fried. I know some people are going OMG fried the devil's food, but unless your child has obesity I think getting him to try new foods and be open is more important.

Finally, talk as much as you can in a positive tone about how great vegetables are. Present him with the facts.

Give him choice, give him independence, teach him that food is fun, it's about experimentation, and curiosity. Veggies are our friend.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Best advice I ever received was from a radio pshychiatrist - put a little bit of vegetables on your childs plate with his meals. Don't force him to eat it. Ask him to try it but don't make him. Often kids just have to get used to how it looks before they try. It's a survival thing. Usually after 4-5 times of putting a vegetable on their plate, they will try it. I did this with my son and I created a monster - he turned vegetarian when he was 14. He decided he didn't need meat any more. So, whe he turned vegetarian, and refused to eat beans, I'd put 2 or 3 beans in his veggie burrito. He'd get mad and I would tell him, "Pick 'em out if you don't want them". Now (he's 21) and one of his favorite foods are bean burritos. One thing you learn with kids is, nothing lasts forever - unless he turns vegetarian, then you're screwed. Just be encouraging. :) Trying to hide the food reinforces pickiness.

I like Sporks42's suggestions too! Very nice!

This. If you don't ACTUALLY like something, fair enough. Not wanting to TRY something is just daft. I would force them to try it.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bad parenting advice of the day: Stop feeding the kid anything but vegetables. In a couple days he'll be so hungry he'll eat drywall.

^^^this^^^ it's the only way...
    if you blend them or hide them they will never learn to just eat them. I know... my mother blended any veggie I wouldn't eat outright and i was in my 30's before I started trying to eat them myself.

my children all eat tons of different vegetables. if they didn't eat them with their dinner, they got them for breakfast, and then for dinner the next night untill they were gone. and they would get their veggies on their plate first with NOTHING ELSE, once the veggeis were gone, then they could have their meat and potoatos (or whatever, you get the idea). :)
  • odo136
    odo136 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is- what about the vegetable don't they like? People often assume taste is the driving factor when really it's something like the consistency that is off putting. Happens to me alot. If you know what the main gripe is, you can be more strategic.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    ^^^this^^^ it's the only way...
    if you blend them or hide them they will never learn to just eat them. I know... my mother blended any veggie I wouldn't eat outright and i was in my 30's before I started trying to eat them myself.

my children all eat tons of different vegetables. if they didn't eat them with their dinner, they got them for breakfast, and then for dinner the next night untill they were gone. and they would get their veggies on their plate first with NOTHING ELSE, once the veggeis were gone, then they could have their meat and potoatos (or whatever, you get the idea). :)

I hope this is a joke. God, I hope this is a joke.
    I am very much against hiding and sneaking food. It's devious and sets it up so the child does not trust your cooking or his/her own palate. It takes away his desire to choose to try vegetables because they are forced onto him/her.

Bull****. What three-year-old is privy to every ingredient and every recipe put on the table?
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think the thing that hasn't really been specified by the OP (but is really really important to the discussion) is whether the kids won't even TRY the vegetables, or whether they've tried and don't like?

When I mentioned earlier that we made my son sit at the table until he ate 3 bites, it was because he had never tried the veggie and was being obstinate. Once he tried something and decided he didn't like it, we were a little more forgiving.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Smoothies...
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Mom often told us she only cooked enough of something for the parents,but if we wanted a taste,that was ok.

She was a super cook & we seldom turned down anything. Dad's solution to this problem was eat what is on the table or wait for breakfast.He wasn't mean,just stated the fact of how it was gonna be.Worked for their 4 kids.
  • Toonewbeginnings
    Options
    Again I say....

He does NOT eat vegetables, as in he eats NO vegetables. Lol.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Again I say....

He does NOT eat vegetables, as in he eats NO vegetables. Lol.

He doesn't like french fries?