" Free Foods" ?

Options
Do you have any foods that you consider " free" - rather, that are low enough you eat all you want and don't feel guilty for eating?

I've found dill pickles to be at the top of that list for me. They are crunchy, salty, and filling. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't feel guilty eating anything. I simply portion out the serving size that fits my macros and calorie goals.

That said, when I'm trying to lose weight I count everything I eat, so technically, nothing is free.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Everything has calories. 100 calories of lettuce is still 100 calories, so I count it.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    ya lots of vegetables: pickles, cucumbers, cabbage, broccoli, mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach, kale
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    nope, i take into account everything. well, almost everything. i am too lazy to count spices.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Everything has calories. 100 calories of lettuce is still 100 calories, so I count it.
    This.

ETA: Except for spices. Because those are low enough they aren't worth stressing over. If I totaled up all my spices for the day it would be around 10 calories. Maybe 20 max. That's not worth worrying about.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Dill pickles are the only food I consider "free". Yes I know they have calories, but that is my way of not making myself crazy obsessive when it comes to food.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options

^^^ Yup. And I'd be worried about the salt content of pickles. If of course you have issues, not saying everyone does, but for me my family has history of edema do I am careful on sodium.
  • samammay
    Options
    Water.
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    Celery, pickles (if I am not watching my sodium), lemons that are in my iced tea, crystal lite packets, most raw veggies...

While I do agree that a calorie is a calorie, I am not going to avoid raw fruits and veggies just to stay under. I don't just want to be skinny...I want to be healthy =)
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I count my carbs. So Pickles would be free food for me!!! LOL
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Water.
  • Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Pretty much just spices, unless they are listed on the container (which the often aren't). I found I am too all or nothing, and even something like just estimating a tbsp of ketchup would lead to me often saying screw it on the whole day of calorie counting.

I do admit to the odd dill pickle as an after workout snack that often times doesn't get logged though too!!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Food that my co-workers bring to work is a "free food" because i didn't have to pay for it.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Food that my co-workers bring to work is a "free food" because i didn't have to pay for it.

:laugh:
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I usually don't bother logging spices unless it's a recipe. And that's mostly just so I remember what the recipe calls for.
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    :wink:
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't log spices (salt, thyme, garlic powder, that sort of thing), but I log everything else, including sauces and condiments (catsup, mustard, etc) because those can add up quick. Those 50 under 50 from a link upthread are great foods but they should still be logged, imo, because the portion size is sometimes small, so while it lists strawberries at 4, that's for 1 strawberry. I don't know about y'all, but the only time I eat just one strawberry is when that's all they give me (I'm looking at you AA first class breakfast with your 1 strawberry and lots of melons I don't like plate). :)
  • reedandmalloy
    Options
    I don't log spices, or vegetables like tomatoes, broccoli, kale, romaine, or raw spinach. I try to stay enough under my calorie total and don't use my exercise points so I know I always have plenty of calories to spare.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options

Heck, if I ever ate a 100 calories worth of lettuce, I'd ADVERTISE it.

That said, I do log everything except spices with a very rare exception. In addition to helping me make more fitting (accurate) choices, it also keeps my head in the game.

A side benefit, too, is that I made a mistake in the way I counted something and my friends were able to bring it to my attention so I don't do it again. Actually, they wanted in because it sounded way better than it was lol, but the result was the same for me, with possibly some tears on their end...

Also, I am on the Guilt-Free Diet. Just sayin'.