Big calves, fall weather, boot problems

Options
Hello!

So I've always had big calves, I get them from my mom. Since I lost about 30 lbs 2 years ago they have been about 15.75 inches at the largest part. 2 months ago I started strength training (squats, dead lifts, leg press) and they're getting bigger! They're 16.5 now :'(. I also do HIIT for cardio rather than steady pace. It's super depressing when I can't find tall leather boots that fit. Personally, I don't mind the way my calves look, actually I never even realized they were big until tall boots became fashionable a few years ago and I just couldn't find any that fit while my friends had no problems. This fall I've made it my mission to find a really nice pair of leather boots (at what ever expense) that will last me YEARS so I don't have to go through this struggle for a while.

ANYWAY - I've been looking and I'm not finding boots so I'd love any tips on how to slim my calves without quitting lifting :/

Thanks!

Replies

• KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If you want to keep the muscles, the only way is to lose fat. You can't spot reduce, so you need to work on your overall body fat %. It's all about the diet! Do you know your current BF%?
  • lonnieart
    lonnieart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There may be specialty places or you could get some that have the intentional wrinkles that are looser. There are some pretty awesome ones that are lace-up, but it depends on what it is that you want.

Personally, I have a really hard time finding shoes and have never had more than ankle-high boots (it was a magical day at the thrift store when I found sexy 9W laced boots). When I shop for REAL shoes (athletic shoes), I end up with men's 8-8.5 EEEE. Now, I've been told that the EEEE measurement isn't accurate on the ones I've gotten and they're more likely just EE, but that's not even the point. Women's shoes are B with "Wide" being about a C or D. I mean, I can wear women's wide shoes, but anything with a heel murders me, and my little toes like to scream in pain (without everything from my little toe outward, I'd have almost normal feet! lol)

Anyway, I know the pain. The only places that even makes women's shoes in my size have REALLY tacky styles.
  • jonjon111
    jonjon111 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also have wide calves - but I got my boots this year at Naturalizer. The name of them is "Jersey". They come in a wide shaft - their website says a 19 inch circumference. They are $199. I love them!! Beautiful boots and leather too.
  • bettanyloses
    bettanyloses Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You need www.duoboots.com. Their boots come in a wide range of calf sizes.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have/had big calves. There's probably a little body fat lingering in your calves, just keep on and it will come off eventually.
    I as much as I love tall boots, I only wear booties so I don't have to deal with it. Plus I'm a little obsessed with Lucy Lui in Elementary and that's kind of her thing.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Lots of companies are now making a 'wide shaft' boot. Shoe warehouse has some, Eddie Bauer online, and you can find some on Zappos. Much easier than getting ride of your beautiful calf muscles:)
  • AlMonkey
    AlMonkey Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    i found my favourite pair simply by googling "fat girl boots"
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Lots of companies are now making a 'wide shaft' boot. Shoe warehouse has some, Eddie Bauer online, and you can find some on Zappos. Much easier than getting ride of your beautiful calf muscles:)

This.
  • lma0423
    lma0423 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I founds a pair of Bandalinos on Zappos that fit great and were listed as having a 17 inch circumference :)