Sickness & too-large calorie deficit....

Options
Hi everyone

I got knocked down with flu last week and for a week I've gotten nowhere near enough calories in - only started eating on Monday. I'm worried - not about the weight loss per se but that I'm tripping up my metabolism by not eating enough but I haven't had the appetite at all and as it is I've been drinking soda etc just to get over 1000. My stomach has been really unsettled - but not a stomach flu so food is staying in, it just doesn't like it.

Do I just keep going this way until everything comes right?

Replies

• KathryneJY
    KathryneJY Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't think you will damage your metabolism in the short time it takes to recover from a flu. Just listen to your body, and if you don't want to eat, then don't force it. Metabolism changes happen over a long period of time.
  • samammay
    Options
    Had the same thing happen to me. Didnt eat right for days. Posted a huge weight loss for the week... nothing the following week. Your metabolism will be fine. You will get back to eating when its right with your stomach.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    So many people don't eat for a few days or so while unwell, it won't do you any damage in the short term, will just affect your energy levels I would suggest

Your appetite will return and you recover
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    lol, you're not going to do ANY damange to your metabolism if you're sippin on nothing but gatorade for ten days. just focus on feeling better and getting well. you're sick for cryin out loud, just eat what/when/how much makes you feel better.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    not eating due to illness because your body doesn't want food right now, is not the same as withholding food that your body wants. In the first case, the body shuts down your appetite as it wants to focus on killing microbes rather than digesting a lot of food, in the second case your body wants more food and isn't getting it.

in my experience (several lb lost in 2 days from gastroenteritis) it's water and glycogen that's lost and that comes back again over the next few days as you return to eating normally, without any noticeable loss of strength or lean body mass, provided you're careful to let your body recover before going back to the gym.

listen to your body and eat what you feel hungry for, and what your stomach is able to handle. and the same for exercise, get back into that at a pace your body's able to handle.
  • samammay
    Options
    My favorite part of eating nothing but gatorade for 3 days is MFP telling me "if you keep this up you will weight 163 lbs in 5 weeks". Thats about 70 pounds lost. :-D
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Once you are feeling better, add about 100 calories every day until you are back at your goal. That way your body can adjust slowly.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Once you are feeling better, add about 100 calories every day until you are back at your goal. That way your body can adjust slowly.

oh that's a good idea. I'm being a bit overly cautious due to my thyroid disorder, probably. Just better to know what I'm up to I guess. Hopefully I can get back to my normal healthy eating soon :)