To the guy pulling the tire down the sidewalk

Options
Thank you for providing me with a bit of inspiration today.

Seeing you proudly wear your sweat-soaked shirt and pull that thing down a busy road was almost enough. But the smile you gave me as I drove by was truly priceless. I could only think about tired and hot and miserable you must be, but then you smiled and made me think you were right where you wanted to be.

Keep it up, my friend!

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    People do this?
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    There's a guy in my 'hood that pulls a weighted sledge up one of the longer hills around here.
    I see him at least once a week. He's definitely in shape.
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    There is a crossfit place close to my house. They do it in the parking lot all the time.

It's really amazing to watch, even the women do it. I am ALWAYS in awe of them...
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Runner's World this month had a great article/interview with Junyong Pak. In the cover photo he's dragging a tire while running in a 5k. Definitely worth a read.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    That's awesome! Just goes to show - you never know who you may inspire today!
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Oh wow...

When I read the title, I instantly thought, "Why is he not ROLLING IT??? It's a freaking tire!"

In my defense, they don't do tire pulling in my neck of the woods... :laugh:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Oh wow...

When I read the title, I instantly thought, "Why is he not ROLLING IT??? It's a freaking tire!"

In my defense, they don't do tire pulling in my neck of the woods... :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A few red years ago being fat meant you were well off and well fed. A few hundred years ago grueling manual labor was for criminals in prison. (Think Les Mis....opening scene)

Now the poor are very very heavy and the free are voluntarily lugging tires!

I love it lol
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    OP - nice comment. :)
    People do this?

There are whole workout routines - pulling, flipping, lifting, pressing (is that right? lol), stepping, rolling squats, very cool. Strength, cardio, agility.

And progressive, too, because the tires can be any size up to several hundred pounds and you can do different things different ways....like if the leg presses get too easy, you can weight the tire from the side or have someone stand/lie on it.

I had several large tractor tires of various sizes. Working up to a simple tire routine (and then harder ones) is a goal of mine. I'm poor - I can't spend money on a gym! Lol!
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    There's a female arctic explorer who pulls multiple tires around Central Park to prep herself.
    Apart from the amount of weight, I'm impressed by anyone who does stuff like this in public.
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I always thought "I'd like to try that" until....... one dark Thursday evening at rugby training, our coach decided that we would be carrying a tractor tyre around the pitch. That was bad but lifting it over the tackle sausage on and off nearly killed me. Dragging one would be fine but crikey I have no upperbody strength for lifting lol
    Anyway hats off to the guy :)
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    People do this?

There are whole workout routines - pulling, flipping, lifting, pressing (is that right? lol), stepping, rolling squats, very cool. Strength, cardio, agility.

And progressive, too, because the tires can be any size up to several hundred pounds and you can do different things different ways....like if the leg presses get too easy, you can weight the tire from the side or have someone stand/lie on it.

I had several large tractor tires of various sizes. Working up to a simple tire routine (and then harder ones) is a goal of mine. I'm poor - I can't spend money on a gym! Lol!

I have* several... lol Wouldn't do me much good if I had already gotten rid of them, now would they?
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    People do this?

Interesting. I have yet to witness this phenomenon in the wild.
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is a crossfit place close to my house. They do it in the parking lot all the time.

It's really amazing to watch, even the women do it. I am ALWAYS in awe of them...

We did it yesterday at Crossfit. They're heavy! Haha.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

"even the women do it"

I was unaware that it was a gender specific activity. Of course women can flip tires- I don't understand how you could possible think they couldn't.