Over sugar

Options
Hey guys! I am clean bulking. I avoid refined sugar (with the exception of post workout) but I noticed I still go over my allotted daily sugar intake just about every day. I'm not worried about it one bit since I know they are mainly sugars from vegetables and limited fruits so it won't cause fat gain but am curious if anyone else notices this too?

Replies

• Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I'm over sugar and over salt every day. Sugar is from cereals, cookies, fruits and flavored yogurts in my case. The salt is from bread, cheese, and coldcuts. I'm not concerned, either, at this point.

btw, there is nothing better about the sugar found in fruits...fruits have fructose too, which is generally considered the worst type of sugar. It's the fiber that apparently modulates the absorbtion. So if you're concerned, you may wish to track fiber as well.
  • Shateyn
    Options
    I'm over sugar and over salt every day. Sugar is from cereals, cookies, fruits and flavored yogurts in my case. The salt is from bread, cheese, and coldcuts. I'm not concerned, either, at this point.

btw, there is nothing better about the sugar found in fruits...fruits have fructose too, which is generally considered the worst type of sugar. It's the fiber that apparently modulates the absorbtion. So if you're concerned, you may wish to track fiber as well.

Interesting about the fructose and fiber, thanks. Come to think of it, yeah I'm usually over fiber and sodium too.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on sugar. Given that the sugar recommendation is based on ADDED sugar and MFP does not distinguish between added and natural sugar, the number is meaningless and I don't even bother to track.
  • jcnew27
    jcnew27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this post! I just went over my daily sugar intake by eating a piece of 6 grain toast and some fruit with breakfast and munching on raw veggies as a snack and lunch. Seems ridiculous because I haven't had anything with added sugar, just natural sugars. I hope going over in sugar doesn't impact my weight loss results, so far I'm on a roll and nothing has changed. I guess I'll just ignore the sugar column since I'm eating an all natural diet packed with raw fruits and veggies!
  • NewMnky1
    Options
    I am always over my sugar intake and was a bit worried about it, but I figure if I lost this much weight while still being over in sugar I must be doing something right, but I did worry about it so thanks for the info.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, two pieces of fruit put me over my sugar limit for the day. I did some research and some fruits that are lower in sugar are: Raspberries, Rhubarb, Blackberries and Cranberries. I am going to start incorporating these into my diet instead of fruit higher in sugar.

I am never over in my salt intake but am always over in fiber and protein. I take increased protein to help build muscle.
  • keithemp
    Options
    You can always go the supplemental route. I'm going to be taking a dextrose supplement pre and post workout to help me hit my carb load for the day.

Trying to hit 365 g of carbs a day without going crazy on bad sugars is hard to do.
  • Shateyn
    Options
    I didn't even realize the sugar meant added sugars. It all makes sense now. Thanks!
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I took the sugar tracking off of my food diary. I do track carbs and sodium. Seems I am over sodium a lot, but am going to look for low sodium products.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    The absolute only sugar fear you need to have whatsoever in relation to long term health is going over 50g per day every day in fructose if you are sedentary. Obviously sugar can be an empty calorie substance found in calorie dense foods, and eating a lot of it could put you over your calorie intake limits.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Interesting...with the exception of yesterday, I'm almost always under my sugar (40 g)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this sometimes too.
  • Lauramae980
    Lauramae980 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm still early in the process. I've been at half my sodium every day, and trying to get under on everything else, but I always go over on sugar.
    I made a shake blender of Orange Juice with Chia seeds as a snack to get through the day, and found out the Orange Juice was the whole day's sugar!!!!!

I'm glad to see that others aren't having a problem.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I am clean bulking. I avoid refined sugar (with the exception of post workout) but I noticed I still go over my allotted daily sugar intake just about every day. I'm not worried about it one bit since I know they are mainly sugars from vegetables and limited fruits so it won't cause fat gain but am curious if anyone else notices this too?
    So you're saying the sugars from fruits and vegetables won't cause you to gain weight, but refined ones will?

Oh lolz
    :huh: