New to MFP & Desperate to Lose Weight Quick!

Options
After having our first baby a week ago I've put on 4 stone and devastated that after giving birth just over a week ago my weights hardly changed! Feeling really down and been told I'm not allowed to exercise for another 6 weeks due to a difficult birth.

Replies

• Sarahbearah05
    Options
    welcome! I have never had a baby, so cant really help ya there. lol, but I am on a weightloss journey myself and definitely want quick weightloss as well lol. im here to support :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You should probably mention whether you're breast feeding or not while asking to "lose weight quick"?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Quick weight loss is never good ideal. You didn't put the weight on over night, it's not going come off over night. Do you want a healthy weight loss?? Or always gaining and losing weight the rest of your life?

Slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck.
  • SusieT2013
    Options
    Thanks, I know just frustrated as I thought I'd at least lose a little weight after the birth but haven't and put on over 3 stone in weight since being pregnant !

I wasn't very well so on medication at the moment so unable to breast feed but expressing couple times a day as I'm hoping when I see the doctor Friday he will say that I can stop taking the meds then going to try breast feeding !
  • SusieT2013
    Options
    And do agree that steady is probably the best and safest plan, I know from experience that fad diets don't work in the long run!!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat not being able to workout yet and don't worry about losing quickly... Do your best to eat right and move more... Walking and breast feeding/pumping still burns a lot of calories everyday... Focus on getting and being a healthier you for life so that your little one will develop great eating habits and when you have another you will hopefully avoid health related issues during the pregnancy... I'm Lew. Married, dad of two soon to be three... Anyone is welcome to add me.
  • helluvahairaiser
    Options
    muscle retains water when it is repairing itself...give yourself a break girl..let your body heal first ..then go for it..congrats on the baby enjoy the time..it goes way to fast..hugs
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    After having our first baby a week ago I've put on 4 stone and devastated that after giving birth just over a week ago my weights hardly changed! Feeling really down and been told I'm not allowed to exercise for another 6 weeks due to a difficult birth.

Welcome to my world. Your name's not Bridgette by any chance?

Nothing's going to happen fast now. With a baby you're in first gear. You will slowly over a month or so lose all the fluids and may drop five kilos or more from the fluids leaving. I was quite full of water so I lost something like 10. yeah, I think it was 10 or 12. Slowly, over a month.

If I were you, knowing what I do now, I would go on a relatively low fat, healthy eating plan and just stay with it. Instead I ate like a pig while I was breastfeeding, and then after that there was me being so tired... and after that there was me having so much to do... and what with all my pack of idiotic excuses I never got that 25kg off that would have made a huge difference to my life!

haha so don't be me. :p Now after 20 yrs I've just got more to lose and I think I've lost the same 10kg fifty times but it must've put a locator beacon in my handbag or something cos it keeps finding me.

:) Remember: with the bf it's just reliable, slow weight loss. Work out what the machine says you need to eat every day and just go something like 200cals below it. that's my advice, looking back. That's the advice I wish I had been given, and taken. :)

Editing having read your 2nd post: Don't kill yourself over breast feeding. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out and that's just life. People bang on about 'breast is best' and sure, it is - but ultimately having a live, sane mother is better and pumping, apart from taking hours of the day that you really don't have, utterly sucks! So you just take care of yourself. :p Baby is strong. Baby will do fine either way.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    It is tough. Listen to your doctor though. Be patient in your attempt to get back to your old self. I ended up with a c-section when I had my son and I was lazy getting back into shape and it took a long time until I felt like myself again. You sound motivated so use that motivation.

Before you are cleared for exercise maybe start with walks. Start short and work your way up. Any little bit helps and remember you will be pushing a stroller or carrying your child so it is more of a workout.

You will get there.
  • Resa001
    Resa001 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    A week ago? It took nine months to gain that weight, remember? Cut yourself some slack. ; )

Most of my friends took a year to get to a stable, healthy consistent weight in a HEALTHY manner. To echo the person above me: slow and steady wins the race.

If you are breastfeeding, it may come off pretty fast. At least it did for me. I gained 38-40 lbs during my pregnancy; I was back to pre-pregnancy weight by five months, then a few lbs less by 7 months, which I stayed at for over a year. Since I nursed for 14 months I was extra careful to eat nourishing, healthy foods; that combined with breastfeeding and daily walks helped a lot.

Two years later and I am back at pre-pregnancy. That's definitely not to say it won't come off if you are supplementing or exclusively formula feeding; it all depends on your lifestyle and numerous other factors.

Yes, you should take it easy for 6 - 8 weeks before starting any sort of exercise program (and ideally get the ok from your doctor before you do). Don't be tempted to push yourself before you are ready, you will only set yourself back.

For now - eat well, get some rest whenever you can. Caring for a newborn is a fulltime job (and you may be burning more calories doing so than you realize!) and you need to take good care of yourself too.

I haven't had any experience with postpartum depression, but it is very common and may be worth looking into as a reason why you are feeling down. Talk to your doctor and partner about what you are going through - just in case.

This really is a special time, try and enjoy every moment because it goes by all too fast. Congratulations on your beautiful new baby!
  • Shannini
    Shannini Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the birth of your new baby - You should be proud of your baby body, you just grew a human! Don't be too hard on yourself, give your body time to adjust to not having someone inside it. Eat healthy and regular meals, make exercising with your baby FUN...take lots of long walks, eventually you will start to see the extra pounds drop off. :smile:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Quick? BAD IDEA.

Listen to the doctors. I've learned that. I do not have kids, but after a re-occuring illness, and trying to do too much at once (volunteering, over working, working out too quickly), I went back out on disability AGAIN, and one more time again after for not listening to the medical people.

Now I learned my lesson. Enjoy the time with your little bundle of joy and slow and steady wins the race!
  • raaraa17
    raaraa17 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I had a baby 19 weeks ago and gained 28lbs, and this week I've only just got back to my pre pregnancy weight.

I tried exercising a couple of weeks after I had my little boy and it was agony. Walking for more than 20 minutes was a chore.

Nobody will expect you to bounce back that quickly, and your baby definitely doesn't care how much you weigh. They just love their mummy!

Enjoy your baby while they are little, because trust me, it doesn't last long!

Wait for your 6-8 week checkup and if you get the all clear, start gently and don't punish yourself if it doesn't come off as quick as you would like.

It took 9 months to put on, so 9 months to come off!

Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend so I can see how it goes
  • katierockstarparrish
    Options
    There is a woman who just had a baby and blogs about her health and fitness post-baby. Her little girl is five or six months old now, and she has tracked her weight and taken pictures of her body over the last several months.

You should read his post, as it puts a lot of what you are saying into perspective.

http://nataliehodson.com/blog/what-does-your-stomach-look-like-after-pregnancy/
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Quick weight loss is never good ideal. You didn't put the weight on over night, it's not going come off over night. Do you want a healthy weight loss?? Or always gaining and losing weight the rest of your life?

Slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck.

THIS!!!!!!
  • upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options
    Heal first, establish your milk supply then lose weight. I'd also talk to your doctor about wearing a belly band or something like that. I used one after my first two children, but not after my third and really noticed a difference.

Weight loss for me is like getting out of debt. I want to do it fast, see results, make my resources work for me, and avoid slogging along for years.

I suggest getting a post natal dietician if you can afford one or live where they are provided for free. A good diet will help you boost you milk supply, avoid depression, and keep you looking and feeling fabulous. Then exercise will provide the calorie burn you need to slim, tone, and reshape your body. There are also two kinds of reactions to breastfeeding, either your body will burn every calorie it has to make milk, or it will stubbornly hang on to 5-10 lbs until you are done breastfeeding.

What I am saying is if you find there are 5- 10 lbs that won't budge, especially if they seem to be sitting on your back and belly don't panic. Keep up a healthy diet and lifestyle and they will disappear after you stop breastfeeding.
  • stephiehampshire
    Options
    I think the no1 thing you need to do is speak to your midwife

My sister gained around 3 stone with my neice and it took her a year to get back to her pre pregnancy weight due to a c-section so she was out of action for 2 months

It took 9 months to grow your little bundle and you had to take on padding to keep your baby safe, dont be ashamed of your weight gain be proud of what it demonstrates to the world, you made a baby!

I know its not what you want but slow and steady really is the best way forward and focus on enjoying your baby and not worrying too much about losing the weight withing the first couple of months

Lastly and most importantly CONGRATULATIONS! x
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race, no need to rush :flowerforyou: