11 Reasons to Drink Lemon Water.

Options
Article: 11 Reasons to drink lemon water. What are your feelings about this list? Do you drink it?

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/11-benefits-lemon-water-you-didnt-know-about.html

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the list, but I drink it. I drink a lot of plain water (try not to use too many artificial sweeteners) so I love to add lemon because I feel like I'm getting something special. But hey, I drink a bunch of tea, too. Rooiboos, green, lemon, mint, raspberry, cinnamon. Anything healthy that breaks up the monotony. But honestly, after a run, it's plain jane, old fashioned water for me!!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I drink lemon with carbonated water a lot (lemon presse), but it's nice to be reminded of some of the reasons it's good for me other than just the taste.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Eh. The list is just floating around the internet.....same with green tea, Dr. Oz etc.

The body does a pretty good job of flushing and cleansing the system, which is why we poop and pee. I am curious as to what "toxins" they are talking about? Also, lemon water does nothing for weight loss, a calorie deficit is what is needed for that. If a person likes the taste of lemon water, go for it, but it does nothing for weight loss.
  • Mslmesq
    Options
    Eh. The list is just floating around the internet.....same with green tea, Dr. Oz etc.

The body does a pretty good job of flushing and cleansing the system, which is why we poop and pee. I am curious as to what "toxins" they are talking about? Also, lemon water does nothing for weight loss, a calorie deficit is what is needed for that. If a person likes the taste of lemon water, go for it, but it does nothing for weight loss.

I know I've asked you this question before, but did not receive a response. You seem to hold very strong, somewhat black and white opinions on a lot of things. Perhaps it would be helpful to list your credentials (other than saying 'because science') to help others determine the merits of your statements.
  • happypath101
    Options
    I keep hearing about this, but haven't read up on it yet or given it a try. I do know that when I was a music major and voice performance was a BIG deal, our choir director recommended hot water with fresh lemon juice and honey any time our throats were sore. It's a miracle drink! The hot water opens the pores, the lemon cleans them, and the honey is a natural antiseptic and also coats and calms the throat. (A shot of whiskey in there when you've also got a bad cough and can't sleep is pretty darn good too. :O)
  • nomeejerome
    Options

I know I've asked you this question before, but did not receive a response. You seem to hold very strong, somewhat black and white opinions on a lot of things. Perhaps it would be helpful to list your credentials (other than saying 'because science') to help others determine the merits of your statements.

Eh. Go through all of the previous threads that you have been involved in where people have provided "science." (multiple times) Why should I provide it for you here, when you ignore it everywhere else? If you want your answers, go re-read the threads. It is there.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

Eh. Go through all of the previous threads that you have been involved in where people have provided "science." (multiple times) Why should I provide it for you here, when you ignore it everywhere else? If you want your answers, go re-read the threads. It is there.

Yes, I've seen 'because science' quoted more times than I've ever seen in my entire life here by a select few people that seem to show up in a pack in some threads. Actually, I've never heard anyone before say 'because science' anywhere other than here.

To say, "I've read studies that have led me to form the opinion....", preferably with a link to those studies, is one thing. To simply say, 'because science' or 'it's science' is really just another way of saying 'I formed my opinions based on the things I deemed credible and I believe alternative studies and/or points of view based on their evidence are incorrect". That is not necessarily wrong, but it is also not 'because science'. And it also still doesn't give you individual credentials.
  • nomeejerome
    Options

Yes, I've seen 'because science' quoted more times than I've ever seen in my entire life here by a select few people that seem to show up in a pack in some threads. Actually, I've never heard anyone before say 'because science' anywhere other than here.

To say, "I've read studies that have led me to form the opinion....", preferably with a link to those studies, is one thing. To simply say, 'because science' or 'it's science' is really just another way of saying 'I formed my opinions based on the things I deemed credible and I believe alternative studies and/or points of view based on their evidence are incorrect". That is not necessarily wrong, but it is also not 'because science'. And it also still doesn't give you individual credentials.

Eh. You brought up the phrase "because science" and continue to ignore information in previous threads. In addition, you continue to make attempts to flame-bait.
  • Mslmesq
    Options

Eh. You brought up the phrase "because science" and continue to ignore information in previous threads. In addition, you continue to make attempts to flame-bait.

Actually, I have not seen information provided in other threads, despite asking for it. As well, I am not attempting to flame bait and do not appreciate the accusation. I am pointing out you made (and I've seen you do it before) a very strong statement that appears to be black and white, and I do not know that you have the credentials for it.

Continuously trying to change the topic also doesn't change anything.

And if you want my general point, which I've made before, to all readers in this forum: Do your own research and/or ask your own trusted doctor or health professional about any of these topics and do not assume because someone posts something here it is either accurate or true. That goes for both sides of topics.
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Every topic is just that, a topic. It is a point of discussion.

So, um back to the topic at hand (instead of what appears to be a hate fest).

I couldn't find a government or educational site that confirms the link included, however, I did find multiple sites stating lemons are diuretics, natural biocides (germ killer), and can be beneficial to those with heart disease. Bottom line. Water is healthy. Lemons are healthy. I like lemon water so I'm going to drink it!

Examples:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7858646
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/patientinstructions/000112.htm
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bank too heavily on the article. I'm sure there is some truth to it, but I doubt it would make much of a difference either way.

The best reason to have lemon water is if you like it. The rest is pretty trivial.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

Just to be clear

#1 says that it may kill germs in water - not in your body. (good to know though)
    #2 is a list of tips about how to limit water consumption and it recommends that you suck on a piece of candy, ice chips or lemon slices.

But:
    Bottom line. Water is healthy. Lemons are healthy. I like lemon water so I'm going to drink it!

Is sufficient rationale.

That list has some silly claims though. i.e., You'd have to drink a LOT of lemon juice to get significant fiber or potassium from it.
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    I love drinking lemon water.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Article: 11 Reasons to drink lemon water. What are your feelings about this list? Do you drink it?

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/11-benefits-lemon-water-you-didnt-know-about.html

Suspicious clams, such as 'toxin' cleansing and 'changing your body's pH'. Something that you eat or drink will not change your physiological pH. Our bodies regulate pH with (which is very tightly controlled or else death occurs) by the lungs and the kidneys, not by what we eat. And drinking lemon water water will not 'dislodge toxins' from your GI tract. The thought of that even happening kinda makes me giggle. :smile:

Lemon water makes water taste good and provides a little vitamin C. Personally, the extra acid makes my teeth too sensitive, so I don't drink it anymore. Love cucumber water though!!!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Lemon water is fine but the claims for detoxing your system is BS. Your body has systems for this already. If it helps you drink more water then do it but in the amounts you put into water there are better sources of a number of the nutrients mentioned.

People get toxic on meds, proteins and other elements if they have liver or kidney failure.
  • TheRainIsGone
    Options
    I drink lemon water almost every day. It makes it easier to drink more water, and I like it without sweetener, so why not? It's refreshing.

As to health benefits, it can't hurt, and we don't know everything yet, so it may be beneficial. Again, why not?
    At least it isn't a bottle of chemicals.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    It tastes good, it is refreshing, it has vitamin C.

It won't change your blood pH or cure you of anything, It doesn't magically flush 'toxins' (whatever those are) from your system.

Also, the article irks me because it makes grand claims and provides no references or outside links, which is straight pseudoscience. Then again, its an internet list, so I would hope that no one would actually basie any aspect of their lifestyle around it.
  • The one thing I can say about lemon water after drinking it myself is that it's a great natural diuretic if you're bloated. It will make you pee like a racehorse. lol
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    The one thing I can say about lemon water after drinking it myself is that it's a great natural diuretic if you're bloated. It will make you pee like a racehorse. lol

Amen.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options

I tried lemon water one night to add a little flavor to my water & it was so disgusting I had to literally chug it down to finish it.