Sodium Intake

Options
Good evening everyone! I have no issue staying under my calorie goal (1540 daily), but I often find myself going WAY over my daily sodium of 2500. Today it was 3400. I'm not adding additional salt. Could this be hindering my weight loss?

My diary is public if anyone wants to see. I started MFP 8/31/13 and am always looking for new friends!

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    It will not hinder your weight loss, but you could end up retaining water. I am always over as well....
  • rlp2891
    rlp2891 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was actually just wondering the same thing- I have trouble staying under on sodium as well.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    It hinders your tracking.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I find that when I eat a lot of prepared foods that my sodium is way up there. The more veggies and fruit I eat the better I feel and the lower my sodium intake is.. I know on high sodium days I feel horrible! Play around with what you eat and see what works for you!
  • MaggieKillNMaul
    MaggieKillNMaul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hinder your actual fat loss, but it does cause you to retain water--so the scale won't accurately reflect the hard work you've put in. I had the same problem and spoke to a nutritionist about it....she said sodium is the biggest weightloss saboteur out there! I know it's tough at first, but try to stay closer to 2000mg. I am able to stay under most days by avoiding going out to eat and avoiding processed foods as much as possible. Canned foods are particularly bad, and also watch out for salad dressings. If you must, look for low sodium versions of soups and things.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    This thread here goes over it a little. I read through it a while back and what I took from it, is that (in absence of medical conditions) it might be wise to up your potassium and water intake if your sodium intake is high, but not to attach too much importance it otherwise.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/968431-how-bad-is-it-to-go-over-on-sodium?hl=Is+too+much+sodium+bad
  • marsbarsx0
    Options
    I just looked at a couple days of your diary... it seems like the sodium is coming mainly from more processed foods (bacon, hotdogs, boxed foods etc)...also salad dressing seems to be a big one. Maybe trying to find lower-sodium versions of some of the foods that you're eating? or even tying to make your own homemade versions of some of the more processed foods?
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hinder your actual fat loss, but it does cause you to retain water--so the scale won't accurately reflect the hard work you've put in. I had the same problem and spoke to a nutritionist about it....she said sodium is the biggest weightloss saboteur out there! I know it's tough at first, but try to stay closer to 2000mg. I am able to stay under most days by avoiding going out to eat and avoiding processed foods as much as possible. Canned foods are particularly bad, and also watch out for salad dressings. If you must, look for low sodium versions of soups and things.

I agree! Taking a quick glance at your diary it looks like you eat quite a bit of processed foods and eating out, those are the things that kill your sodium intake for the day. Try cutting back and see if that helps! :)
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sodium. If you're consistently over, you'll have a consistent amount of retained water and the scale will reflect your weight loss accurately.
  • jjbonbon
    Options
    Sodium is also a concern that I have because of high blood pressure. I have been tracking for almost 2 weeks. I have finally lowered my sodium by reviewing my diary of food. Take the time to review yours also. I look at the high sodium foods, and then I decide if I need them. Anything in a can is high in sodium. I am sure others will have more suggestions. Good luck.
  • I just looked at a couple days of your diary... it seems like the sodium is coming mainly from more processed foods (bacon, hotdogs, boxed foods etc)...also salad dressing seems to be a big one. Maybe trying to find lower-sodium versions of some of the foods that you're eating? or even tying to make your own homemade versions of some of the more processed foods?

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I need to get used to the low sodium flavor :( haha
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure end and have to eat less than 1500mg of sodium a day. Kick the processed food that aren't lower sodium and you'll be fine. I eat bacon and cheese because I have lower sodium versions. And bake my own breads. Bread is a killer for sodium. Just remember spices are your friend and you can have as much of them as you want so long as they're not 'salt'. You'll find after awhile of eating lower sodium, you do feel better.
  • archetypicalone
    Options
    I find that when I eat a lot of prepared foods that my sodium is way up there. The more veggies and fruit I eat the better I feel and the lower my sodium intake is.. I know on high sodium days I feel horrible! Play around with what you eat and see what works for you!

Definitely this. Look at the sodium content of what you're eating before you eat it if you're worried. Processed food is always heaps higher in sodium.

Personally, I find I have a 'stay the same' or a small gain if I go over my salt allowance, but a couple days of extra water and extra tea (dandalion root is good for water retention) gets it out.