Getting depressed with recipes

Options
There are a bunch of foods I like a lot; BBQ Pulled Beef or Pork, pizza, steak snadwiches, etc etc. I have found websites, such Sparks.com for example, that give "healthy" meals. I don't know what these sites and books are smoking, but I think I might need some. They give these awesome recipes and then I find out that for 250 calories I can eat 3 forks-worth of it. WTF!!! My wife and I are getting really depressed from this and we really like cooking. But it seems the only meals that are filling and that meet our calorie requirements are stuff like Lean Cuisine meals. But I can't seem to ever cook the same thing and get as few calories. What am I doing wrong? Are there sites that actually give healthy recipes with decent serving sizes? Please help. Thanks.

Replies

• sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    How do you feel about chicken? I had made some real yummy chicken meals lately that I would be glad to share. Also, if pizza is one of your loves, check out the 200 calorie pizza recipe in this forum. I made it last week and it really is excellent!
  • thompson000
    Options
    I am aslo looking for recipes for lunch or breakfast, please share if you find any!
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I feel the same way! I guess the best way is to use healthier ingredients... use whole wheat flour for your pizza crust, and put a ton of veggies on it. I substitute low sodium chicken broth for oil or butter in most of my recipes (obviously depending what I'm cooking) and it cuts out those few extra grams of fat, and cuts down on the calories! Google is a great tool! I find a ton of recipes on there!
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of foods I like a lot; BBQ Pulled Beef or Pork, pizza, steak snadwiches, etc etc. I have found websites, such Sparks.com for example, that give "healthy" meals. I don't know what these sites and books are smoking, but I think I might need some. They give these awesome recipes and then I find out that for 250 calories I can eat 3 forks-worth of it. WTF!!! My wife and I are getting really depressed from this and we really like cooking. But it seems the only meals that are filling and that meet our calorie requirements are stuff like Lean Cuisine meals. But I can't seem to ever cook the same thing and get as few calories. What am I doing wrong? Are there sites that actually give healthy recipes with decent serving sizes? Please help. Thanks.
    It took me a while, but you CAN get use to smaller portions... Try eating a good size salad first, and lots of fresh vegetables with the meal... eat slower... use a smaller plate.. take smaller bites.. all silly sounding tricks but they really do help.. After you eat, say, "Wow, I'm full!" Even if you don't mean it... after a while you'll realize it's true... you really are satisfied with smaller portions.. and not all bloated. It really feels pretty good.. hang in there.. :)
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    Can you get onto the BBCGoodFood website in the USA it has fantastic recipes and most of them have the calories. Its also fairly easy to adapt most recipes to make them skinny just by changing a few ingredients. I use fat free greek yoghurt instead of cream in loads of things. Have you heard of Cook yourself thin? I used to belong to that site and they have fab recipe books with low cal recipes in them. They are on the Channel 4 website in the UK too but I'm not sure if you can get that (I'm not very good at this whole online overseas thing lol) but its worth a look. The channel 4 website has other fab low cal recipes on it too.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    The trick is to fill up mostly on your veggies. I know this may not be what you want to hear, but really, if we could eat all the food we used to eat in the quantities we use to eat - we wouldn't be here!

I use the formula that half the plate should be non-starchy veggies/greens, 1/4 of the plate starchy veggies or whole grains, and 1/4 of the plate lean protein. For me, eating clean was the only way to get the portion/calorie count thing to work out. I could have one slice of pizza and be hungry as soon as I was done, or I could have a huge salad with vinaigrette dressing, green beans, 1/2 cup serving of brown rice and a nicely seasoned chicken breast. I had (always have) the choice. Does that mean I never have pizza? No!! Of course I do, but I keep it to two slices and a salad and only have it once a month instead of once a week. Same with other higher calorie foods I like.

Unfortunately, it does take a change in eating style for MOST of the time to lose weight. That doesn't mean that once a month or even one meal a week that you can't splurge, but it does mean that you have to watch it the other 99% of the time and make those tough decisions.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Two things--one, you can choose recipes that you know up front are going to be lower in calories, you can modify recipes so that they are lower in calories and you can look at sites like dlife.com that are geared towards diabetics so they have some good lower-carb recipes as well.

Two--in the beginning, while you are trying to get things under control, I think many people find that they need a little more rigidity in their habits. I don't about others, but I rotated through pretty much the same 2-3 options for breakfast and 2-3 others for lunch for several weeks when I was just getting started. I think that is part of the commitment. Then, as you learn more about how to prepare foods and how your body responds, you can expand your choices.

Some things just aren't going to work, IMO. Commercial pizza for example. Not only did it contain substantial calories (for the amount of food you get), but it is low in overall nutrients as well. So, yes, you may have to change some eating habits.

But I think there are all kinds of great food choices out there that are filling, "rewarding", etc, but don't have to sabotage your weight loss efforts. Here are some of my choices (most are made from scratch):

Breakfast: omelettes with mushrooms, peppers, onions, and cheese--(Omega 3 eggs or egg beaters): 300 calories
    Breakfast sandwich: Thomas Light Multigrain muffin or Arnolds Sandwich thin, 1 egg, red onion, green pepper, 2 slices turkey bacon, lite jarlsburg swiss cheese--300 calories
    Breakfast sandwich: 1 Flatout wrap--the usual combo of eggs, mushrooms, peppers. onions, cheese, plus some black beans and salsa --maybe 400 calories.

These are all filling and yummy.

Goulash with barley and ground turkey (can also be made w/beef)
    Turkey meatballs in homemade roasted red-pepper tomato sauce
    Beef-lentil stew
    Stir fried brown rice w/tons of veggies and leftover meat
    Pork chops provencal---super easy
    Spicy - rub pork chops with maple-butter-mustard sauce
    Pasta primavera w/Chicken
    Chicken pesto pasta
    Beef Stroganoff
    Macaroni and cheese with tuna and peas
    Giant salads with grilled chicken or tuna (or canned tuna)
    Grilled chicken and vegetables
    Boca burgers w/onions, mushrooms, swiss cheese and barbeque sauce (on Arnolds)
    Black beans, rice, and chicken andouille sausage

All of my dinners come in at around 500 calories per serving --and a serving is meant to be big enough for a meal (or with some of the more calorie - dense items, a big salad or steamed veggies fill things out

I think it is important to learn what foods are calorie-dense and which ones aren't --that way you can balance your meals and still have enough "bulk" without going over your calories.

It is also crucial to get rid of the "extraneous" stuff that adds little nutrition but adds calories --like buns, condiments, etc.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The trick is to fill up mostly on your veggies. I know this may not be what you want to hear, but really, if we could eat all the food we used to eat in the quantities we use to eat - we wouldn't be here!

I use the formula that half the plate should be non-starchy veggies/greens, 1/4 of the plate starchy veggies or whole grains, and 1/4 of the plate lean protein. For me, eating clean was the only way to get the portion/calorie count thing to work out. I could have one slice of pizza and be hungry as soon as I was done, or I could have a huge salad with vinaigrette dressing, green beans, 1/2 cup serving of brown rice and a nicely seasoned chicken breast. I had (always have) the choice. Does that mean I never have pizza? No!! Of course I do, but I keep it to two slices and a salad and only have it once a month instead of once a week. Same with other higher calorie foods I like.

Unfortunately, it does take a change in eating style for MOST of the time to lose weight. That doesn't mean that once a month or even one meal a week that you can't splurge, but it does mean that you have to watch it the other 99% of the time and make those tough decisions.

+1 Well said
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    Last night's dinner for two was: one large boneless skinless chicken breast coated with Emeril's Essence Seasoning and extra oregano then grilled on George Foreman. Then I used a FlatOut light italian herb wrap for each person and layered on about 1/4 cup of black beans, about 5-6 mozzarella pearls, about 1/4 cup of fresh spinach leaves, a few slices of fresh jalapeno,and then 1/2 of the cooked chicken cut into cubes. I rolled the whole thing up like a burrito and popped it back on the grill to get toasty and melt the cheese. We had green beans and a small salad also. Absolutely delicious!
  • tbernard
    tbernard Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Very well said..
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback and sites. I will continue to look at more recipes.
  • stenochick
    stenochick Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My husband makes this a lot and it's very tasty. It's perfect with a small salad. It's super quick to prepare too. He'll be making a lot more of it now that I'm back on this site since I'm ready to shed that baby weight!! Good luck!!
    Lemon Feta Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
    2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Directions
    Place chicken in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour lemon juice over chicken; sprinkle with feta cheese, oregano and pepper.
    Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 chicken breast half equals 143 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 66 mg cholesterol, 122 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Azdak is right...for me as well it is much easier to eat the same breakfast and lunch for a work week, then switch it up the next week. It takes the thinking out of the getting healthier part.

Look for recipes that are dense in vegetables and proteins, not in white carbs (potatoes, rice, breads, etc.). If you can think of a dish, someone out there has made a healthier version, you just have to do the searching. Maybe expand your searching horizon as it were. Try these two websites: www.foodgawker.com and www.foodblogsearch.com. They will take you to bloggers who generally have pictures of the process along the way. Once you find a blogger who is focusing on healthy alternatives, look at their blog friends and generally they too will be similar in their blogs focus.
    I love searching for recipes on these sites. They are what get me through when I am in a "food funk" and can't think of anything that sounds inspiring enough to cook.

For a suggestion, try making your own pizzas.
    http://foodgawker.com/?s=pizza+dough&cat=0
    Here is a link to some dough recipes. If you put on just a tad bit of cheese you will find that you can still taste it but do not need as much. Pile on the veggies and some turkey pepperoni if you like and either grill or bake. I have found too that you don't really need to let it rise first. It will rise on its own in the oven. And also, roll it out super thin. It is great that way!

Good luck!