Up, down...up?

Options
I've been at this for 1 week and 1 day. I have logged everything - even the key lime pie I had on Sunday night...mmmm. Everything was going along fine. I had lost 2.5 lbs in 1 week - right on target - and then I get up this morning and BLAM - I am right back up to where I was at the beginning.

My items of truth: The good - I ran 5 days last week and rode 1 day for a total of 400+ minutes of exercise. I logged everything. I ate a good balance of fiber/protein/carbs. I planned and prepared. I stayed under my caloric goal 5 out of 7 days (on the over day it wasn't by much). The bad - I did have cocktails. I snacked on not so good foods later in the evening. I went over on calories on 2 days. I weigh myself everyday.

Anyone else have any experience with this? I am staying the course and continuing on, but this is frustrating.

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    How's your sodium intake and are you drinking enough water? You're doing a great job. Have you been running before logging or did you just start working out again? Sometimes the muscles hold onto water when the workouts increase in intensity. I would advise staying away from alcohol, it will kill your metabolism.
  • hammod
    hammod Posts: 23
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. My weight sometimes flucuates between 3-5 lbs on any given day, but as long as it continues to go down I try not to worry. Certain things such as are you getting enough water? You could be retaining water if you ate a higher amount of sodium yesterday. Also that time of the month can make you go up in weight too. If you are building muscle sometimes the weight will flucuate as your body makes the changes. Keep working hard and it will pay off. :)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    The biggest culprit is usually sodium, especially in cocktails and processed foods. If you eat too much sodium, and don't drink enough water, you will retain water weight. Also, could possibly by TOM related if you normally bloat and if the timing is right. I usually gain 2-4 pounds around then and then it disappears the next week.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Could be anything - normal daily flux, water weight (initial loss and current gain), sodium as others have suggested (which leads to water retention), actual gain, a change in muscle tone.... I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

I too am a daily weigher and because of this, I've figured out where my flux range is. My highest weight is 145 and I can fluctuate all teh way down to 137. So, until I get below 137, I won't count myself as really losing weight.

Hope that helps.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not always linear.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not always linear.

Uuuuh......that statement just totally rocked my world! Gotta remember that one!

I would suggest not weighing yourself everyday, although I know this can be a tall order. It took me a long time to not read into every fluctuation and understand that your weight can change by significant amounts even from the time you go bed to when you wake up. I've learned that drinking water is the biggest factor in seeing true weight loss week to week. The day before I weigh in, (well all week, really) I make sure I'm getting all of my water. It's that sodium that is going to show an increase on the scale if you are logging all of your calories in and out correctly. It sounds like you are being honest about what you are eating and exercising so if you aren't under or overestimating calories, I'd bet money that it's water retention that you are seeing.

So, drink LOTS of water and only weigh yourself once a week, or every couple of days if you have too :wink:
    Good luck
  • erinup
    erinup Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love the quote too - "Weigh loss is not always linear." I may post that above my scale as a reminder!

Thanks for the advice and help. I have been eating pretty "clean" home prepared foods and my water consumption is pretty good 6-8 glasses a day, BUT yesterday I had an afternoon snack of Progresso soup. I bet you guys are right on about the sodium. I started having some stomach/intestinal pain within an hour or so of eating it. Sounds like I am going to need a lot of water today to flush my system.

As far as activity - I have been generally active - run 1x a week, mountain bike 1 - 2x a week, but I have really bumped up my running this last week. I do have some muscle soreness so that may be a factor too.

Okay - onward and downward - this will only work if I keep at it! :smile:
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    You seem to be doing pretty much everything just like you're supposed to. I would try adding in more raw fruits and vegetables, they REALLY make a difference!

Also, you retain water weight when you work out a lot. Anywhere from 1-4lbs! Many people weight themselves once a week so they don't have to see the daily ups and downs on the scale.

I, However, weigh myself every day and will gain then lose then gain. But if you look at my weight on a weekly basis, I am losing. it just doesn't seem that way when you are focusing on the day instead of the week. True weight loss and good habits take time to form.

Have a great day & I hope next week is better for you!

-Chancy

*Feel free to send me a friend request*
  • DawnMichelle68
    DawnMichelle68 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    don't give up.. and I to would suggest not getting on the scale everyday if it's going to upset you... by the time your weigh day comes around the number will be different if you keep up your first week.... keep the faith you can do it!!